Help Don't know what to pick for Excursions

Matlily

Its a bucket list trip that is costing far more than we usually spend, but I want to make it super special for my husband who is a hunter deer and lake fisherman (catch and release) does like sea fishing as much. We are going on Carnival Legend with a big group of friends 11 cabins. we are relatively healthy and are or will be 53 when cruising, hubbie is having hip replacement this nov but should be in better shape by the time we go than ever before.

We are doing 8 day cruise in August 2018

sea day

2pm-11pm

Juneau

(I want to surprise him with the Taku Lodge Feast and 5 glaciers Seaplane trip but do we miss whale spotting doing this and can you do it at any other port? this excursion will be the most expensive at $314 each

7am-8pm

Skagway - looking at the train up the White Pass summit for $139 per person what is better to do there?

All day Cruise Glacier bay

1-am -9pm

Ketchikan - do we do the bear country wildlife expedition or bering sea crab fishermans tour or Orca Beach Nature trail and boat ride?

sea day

1-am-10pm

Victoria, no ideas here the excursion are very limited with Carnival???

Any experienced Cruisers to Alaska I welcome some advice, this will be my 11th cruise but first to alaska.

Thanking you all in advance.:hearteyes:

Pretty sure you can do whale watching at any port.

In Juneau, we did a combined excursion with whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier. I think your 5 glacier trip would be an incredible experience and should do it.

In Skagway, me and the DW did the bus/train combo tour and loved it. Since your ship sails at 8pm I'd book independent of the cruise line and save the money. We booked with NCL because we knew it would be a very tight schedule and didn't want to miss boarding (we were indeed the last people to board). Meanwhile in Skagway, my brother and SIL did the dog sled training and really enjoyed it.

In Ketchikan, my brother and SIL did the Alaskan Rain Forest excursion and enjoyed it while me and the DW walked and shopped in town.

In Victoria, we had the perfect excursion driver, our cousin. She met us at the dock and took us on a personal sight seeing trip to some of the city sites. However, we did see a double deck tour bus (sorry, did not get the name of the bus company and not sure if it's hop on/off but might be a possibility).

Enjoy your time in Alaska, we sure did!

We did Taku lodge in Juneau and loved it--it was my family's favorite excursion of our entire vacation. You might want to look at the times because depending on the schedule, you might be able to do an evening whale watch. It could be tight though, hopefully someone else will know. But Taku was great, I would gladly do it over a whale watch if I had to choose. If you're on the water in Ketchikan, you might see whales, we did on our excursion.

We did Taku lodge in Juneau and loved it--it was my family's favorite excursion of our entire vacation. You might want to look at the times because depending on the schedule, you might be able to do an evening whale watch. It could be tight though, hopefully someone else will know. But Taku was great, I would gladly do it over a whale watch if I had to choose. If you're on the water in Ketchikan, you might see whales, we did on our excursion.

Awesome thank you

Definitely consider the Train / Bus combo to Emerald Lake. We used Chilkoot Tours with the bus up and train back. You should still have time to see some of the town with your later departure.

Ketchikan is a good place to see things on your own and save a little on tours. Catch the bus to Totem Bight, walk Creek Street, see the fish ladder and do some shopping for souvenirs. You can also kayak or even snorkel, if you want something more active.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No-whale watching is not in "every port". Only in Juneau which has 100% sightings of humpbacks. Victoria has orca whale watches that have less sighting success. Don't you mean a 1pm port time? If so, then I'd suggest independently booking an orca whale watch, if you don't in Juneau.

The White Pass RR is a great choice. Have you also looked at EACH option there is? 3 actually are available.

I don't get the Bering Sea Attraction, but it's sure enjoyed by many. (it's so fake to me) The Bear tour doesn't have the success stats of the fly ins which are absolutely my choice. I wouldn't consider any boat tours, since it's very nice scenic sailing in and out on the cruise ship.

I have been to Taku Lodge, but I've flown multiple other Alaska areas. The flight is too short in my opinion and the costs and time are up there with the salmon bake.

Save the train money in Skagway and do the Klondike bus tour instead. Same sights, more stops for pictures, great stories and history, and less than half the price!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No-whale watching is not in "every port". Only in Juneau which has 100% sightings of humpbacks. Victoria has orca whale watches that have less sighting success. Don't you mean a 1pm port time? If so, then I'd suggest independently booking an orca whale watch, if you don't in Juneau.

The White Pass RR is a great choice. Have you also looked at EACH option there is? 3 actually are available.

I don't get the Bering Sea Attraction, but it's sure enjoyed by many. (it's so fake to me) The Bear tour doesn't have the success stats of the fly ins which are absolutely my choice. I wouldn't consider any boat tours, since it's very nice scenic sailing in and out on the cruise ship.

I have been to Taku Lodge, but I've flown multiple other Alaska areas. The flight is too short in my opinion and the costs and time are up there with the salmon bake.

The flight is an hour and 15 minutes. We're doing that without the salmon bake at the lodge. It's only $229 that way and $110 less than the salmon bake. We're not spending the $440 extra that it would cost our family. Maybe we'll go to Tracy's King Crab Shack or eat on the ship and and take a taxi to Mendenhall Glacier.

As for Bering Sea excursion, it sounds fake and staged, but it benefits from "as seen on tv" and being in Ketchikan, where there aren't as many excursions around. For us, that's a port to save money and walk around Creek Street and get lunch in town.

Looking forward to Skagway and train to Fraser and then tour with Dyea Dave.

Saving our Whale Watch for Hoonah/Icy Strait with Glacier Winds. Maybe it won't be as good as one in Juneau, but that's okay.

The flight is an hour and 15 minutes. We're doing that without the salmon bake at the lodge. It's only $229 that way and $110 less than the salmon bake. We're not spending the $440 extra that it would cost our family. Maybe we'll go to Tracy's King Crab Shack or eat on the ship and and take a taxi to Mendenhall Glacier.

As for Bering Sea excursion, it sounds fake and staged, but it benefits from "as seen on tv" and being in Ketchikan, where there aren't as many excursions around. For us, that's a port to save money and walk around Creek Street and get lunch in town.

Looking forward to Skagway and train to Fraser and then tour with Dyea Dave.

Saving our Whale Watch for Hoonah/Icy Strait with Glacier Winds. Maybe it won't be as good as one in Juneau, but that's okay.

The OP is not going to Hoonah, so I responded according to their question.

It appears your flight booking has nothing to do with Taku Lodge? And not booked on Wings Airways- who has the lodge contracts?

I find there is plenty to do in Ketchikan and never have any issue filling my port time. About endless if open to independent., the ability to look further. :)

The OP is not going to Hoonah, so I responded according to their question.

It appears your flight booking has nothing to do with Taku Lodge? And not booked on Wings Airways- who has the lodge contracts?

I find there is plenty to do in Ketchikan and never have any issue filling my port time. About endless if open to independent., the ability to look further. :)

Wings does two excursions. One with Taku and one without. They tell you to book either with the cruise line and provide links.

There might be plenty to do in Ketchikan but our port day is 7 to 3 pm. With two college kids, that's really 9 to 3 and we'll save some money, get lunch in town and walk Creek Street. Some of those excursions there do look good.

• 1 month later...
Wings does two excursions. One with Taku and one without. They tell you to book either with the cruise line and provide links.

There might be plenty to do in Ketchikan but our port day is 7 to 3 pm. With two college kids, that's really 9 to 3 and we'll save some money, get lunch in town and walk Creek Street. Some of those excursions there do look good.

We did the full Taku Lodge tour while in Juneau, in 2015. IMO, landing the floatplane in the river, with The-Hole-In-The-Wall glacier a few hundred yards away, is what makes this tour so worthwhile. If it was just the non-stop seaplane ride, for $200+, I would have been underwhelmed for that much money. The 2 hours at Taku lodge really made it extra special. Besides the employee hospitality, and unbelievable salmon meal, enjoying the serene majesty of the area was a sight to behold. We also got to witness multiple bear sightings, and a wonderful nature walk. I know that you feel that the extra $110 per person seem like a lot for a lunch, but it is much more than "just" a lunch and it really makes the excursion memorable. It blows away any meal you can have in town, so you can save a few bucks, since a nice King crab meal in town is probably in the $35-$50 per person range. It is the best excursion I have ever done in my 18 cruises.

I recommend renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake. It will cost you A LOT less than the train and you'll see a lot of the same sights plus others you won't see from the train. By renting a car you can stop where you want for as long as you want. You should be able to rent a car for between $100 and $150. That cuts your excursion cost in half! If you can get two more people from you group to join you, you'll pay 1/4 of what the train will cost.

I recommend renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerald Lake. It will cost you A LOT less than the train and you'll see a lot of the same sights plus others you won't see from the train. By renting a car you can stop where you want for as long as you want. You should be able to rent a car for between $100 and $150. That cuts your excursion cost in half! If you can get two more people from you group to join you, you'll pay 1/4 of what the train will cost.

Do you have an estimation on how long it takes to drive there and back? I realize it would be dependent on how many times we stop but just looking for a starting point. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Our first time we did whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier combo in Juneau, White Pass Railway in Skagway and duck tour in Ketchikan. I thought those were the best excursions until we went this time. Now I can't say enough good things about the ATV off-road Adventure in Ketchikan and the kroschel wildlife refuge in Skagway. I do think the White Pass Railway is something to be seen and if you have clear weather it is going to be a spectacular View. However on the way back we were a little bored and got a little sleepy so that kind of put a damper on the last part. We enjoyed every minute of the kroschel Wildlife Refuge. We have also started trying to do a little bit more extreme things like a ATV, and ziplining type excursions and they have been well worth our time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Now I can't say enough good things about the ATV off-road Adventure in Ketchikan and the kroschel wildlife refuge in Skagway. I do think the White Pass Railway is something to be seen and if you have clear weather it is going to be a spectacular View. However on the way back we were a little bored and got a little sleepy so that kind of put a damper on the last part. We enjoyed every minute of the kroschel Wildlife Refuge. We have also started trying to do a little bit more extreme things like a ATV, and ziplining type excursions and they have been well worth our time.

What animals are at the kroschel wildlife refuge? There wasn't a lot of info on their website. Debating between that and glacier point safari while in Haines.

What animals are at the kroschel wildlife refuge? There wasn't a lot of info on their website. Debating between that and glacier point safari while in Haines.
Wolf, lynx, fox, bear, reindeer and quite a few others but part of his presentation is surprising you on what he is about to bring out so I don't want to ruin it

Do you have an estimation on how long it takes to drive there and back? I realize it would be dependent on how many times we stop but just looking for a starting point. Thanks

My guess is if you drove straight through (which you won't) you could make the drive in 2 hours each way. We stopped several times in both directions to take pictures. We also stopped in Carcross for lunch. We were gone 6-1/2 hours.

• 2 months later...
we did the full taku lodge tour while in juneau, in 2015. Imo, landing the floatplane in the river, with the-hole-in-the-wall glacier a few hundred yards away, is what makes this tour so worthwhile. If it was just the non-stop seaplane ride, for $200+, i would have been underwhelmed for that much money. The 2 hours at taku lodge really made it extra special. Besides the employee hospitality, and unbelievable salmon meal, enjoying the serene majesty of the area was a sight to behold. We also got to witness multiple bear sightings, and a wonderful nature walk. I know that you feel that the extra $110 per person seem like a lot for a lunch, but it is much more than "just" a lunch and it really makes the excursion memorable. It blows away any meal you can have in town, so you can save a few bucks, since a nice king crab meal in town is probably in the $35-$50 per person range. It is the best excursion i have ever done in my 18 cruises.

thank you for the insight we are booked on it now taku lodge and all, i gave it to my husband as one of his christmas presents. We are considering the train and one other option on water in skagway, and still looking at the other places,