Any cruises hit Catalina but NOT Mexico?

Hi all, I've been doing searches but not finding what I'm looking for... We are trying to send my parents on a cruise - they live in San Diego and my mom will NOT fly anywhere, so it would need to be out of either San Diego or LA... She likes Catalina but absolutely refuses to go to Mexico (fear that she can't be talked out of.) Are there any cruises that hit Catalina but not Mexico? Perhaps Catalina and Santa Barbara or something?

Thanks for any help!!

Given how trivially easy it is to get to Catalina by ferry if that's her priority it seems far and away the easier option than booking a cruise.

Closed Loop cruises from US ports MUST visit a foreign port - virtually all the Cali Coastals that leave from SD/LA use a Mexican port.

If she were willing to fly, then RTs out of Vancouver do visit Catalina and other coastal US cities (Princess 10 day coastals among others) without going to Mexico, as would any of the many repo cruises that come up the coast at the start of the Alaskan season (although offhand I can't think of any Catalina stops on the repos).

Some round trips from SD/LA head to Alaska, and use a Canadian port to comply with PVSA rules - does she have any issues with Canadians?

Of course, she could simply treat any Mexican ports as 'bonus sea days' and stay onboard - it's not like drug lords will storm the ship and attack her in the spa!

Hi all, I've been doing searches but not finding what I'm looking for... We are trying to send my parents on a cruise - they live in San Diego and my mom will NOT fly anywhere, so it would need to be out of either San Diego or LA... She likes Catalina but absolutely refuses to go to Mexico (fear that she can't be talked out of.) Are there any cruises that hit Catalina but not Mexico? Perhaps Catalina and Santa Barbara or something?

Thanks for any help!!

Any cruises they take roundtrip from LA or San Diego will involve Mexico.

Pick a nice cruise that visits Catalina Island and has just one stop in Mexico. She can stay on the ship and pretend she is docked somewhere else.The simplest thing is for them to enjoy the cruise ship. After all that’s the real destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the requirements are for the ships to visit a foreign port if they aren't US flagged. She doesn't have to get off in Ensenada, but sounds like the fear goes deeper than that.

Merchant Marine Act 1920 aka Jones Act, only US registered ships can operate between two US ports, all foreign registery vessel must operate via a non US port, that's why cruise ships have to on Alaska cruises go into Victoria BC

Merchant Marine Act 1920 aka Jones Act, only US registered ships can operate between two US ports, all foreign registery vessel must operate via a non US port, that's why cruise ships have to on Alaska cruises go into Victoria BC

This not about operating between two different US ports, which require a stop at a "distant foreign port". This is about roundtrip out of the same US port.

There are a variety of options for Alaska...Vancouver to Seward or vice versa, for example.

But we agree...if you doing a roundtrip out of the same US port, you need to visit a foreign port.

This not about operating between two different US ports, which require a stop at a "distant foreign port". This is about roundtrip out of the same US port.

There are a variety of options for Alaska...Vancouver to Seward or vice versa, for example.

But we agree...if you doing a roundtrip out of the same US port, you need to visit a foreign port.

As I understand it- even a one way cruise between Seattle or San Francisco to Alaska requires a stop in Canada [emoji1063] if it is a foreign flagged ship.

Thanks everyone! I wasn't aware it was a law, seems strange but that's just the way it goes.

Yes I know she can simply stay on the ship but she is adamant she will not be stopping in Mexico. It's irrational but that's what we have to deal with.yes she can take the Catalina flyer over there but the cruise ship is the fun that I wanted her to experience. Ahhh well! She allows her fear to keep her from living, but that's another conversation.

Thank you all again for the very helpful answers ��

As I understand it- even a one way cruise between Seattle or San Francisco to Alaska requires a stop in Canada [emoji1063] if it is a foreign flagged ship.

You can't do a one way trip from SF, or Seattle, ending at an Alaska port. The one way cruises in the Alaska have Vancouver as a start or end port.

The roundtrip Alaska cruises starting in Seattle or SF have Vancouver or Victoria as port stops. I think rarely Prince Rupert.

If you can wait until 2019, Princess has two Alaska cruises from LA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So does Carnival August 2018. The crowd on the Alaska RT from Long Beach was very similar to our 10 day Princess cruises.

Unfortunately, Hawaii would also be our due to the mandatory (evening) stop in Ensenada.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for any help!!

Another option, not including Catalina, is to take the trains San Francisco, then do a 10-day round trip to Alaska on Princess. Foreign port in that case is Vancouver.

Another option, not including Catalina, is to take the trains San Francisco, then do a 10-day round trip to Alaska on Princess. Foreign port in that case is Vancouver.

Actually the foriegn port on the SF RT is Victoria not Vancouver