SYD in my luggage

Is there a question in this or is it a statement?

Remember to declare ANY food items, including sweets ("candy") on your incoming passenger card.

Australian quarantine regulations are strict. Officers will ask you what you have and may want to see the items.

Processed packaged food is ok as long as you declare it on your customs declaration form: - )
Indeed: The most important rule is that you must declare it to allow the quarantine officers to make the decision. It's not for you to decide that it's OK.

One other thing worth noting about Australian duty-free limits, which is different from many other countries, is this:-

Please note that if you exceed Australia’s duty free concession limits, duty and tax is payable on all items of that type (eg. general goods, alcohol, tobacco), not just the item/s which exceed the limit.
However, I'm not quite sure why one would carry wine from the US to Australia; it's a bit like taking coals to Newcastle.

I know ! We pack bags for the cruise and don't mess with them until we board. Just two special bottles!

Could you just not purchase two bottles at the Duty Free store? This is what we did,

Could you just not purchase two bottles at the Duty Free store? This is what we did,

Guys, there is no reason to bring wine to OZ. We have sensational wine. Don't buy WINE at the arrivals duty free shop. It's no bargain. Spirits yes, but not wine.

Bottle shops can be easily found in the city.

As for packaged, processed food into OZ:

The point is to DECLARE on your quarantine form anything you can eat or drink / consume.

I always made the point to make this clear to my airline colleagues. Write down anything you put in your mouth, apart from your toothbrush or fingers.

As long as you put it on the form, quarantine staff will be very nicely tell you what you can or cannot bring in.

Half a dead cow? So sorry, Sir, but unfortunately you will have to leave this here.

But if they find an undeclared Mars bar, and the officer is in a bad mood he can charge you a hefty fine for not declaring an item that is perfectly permissible when declared.

The only customs declarations or potential duties owed to be considered for your journey will likely be in the reverse direction! Finish whatever (or save for other times) you’ve got and plan on reveling in the glorious wines that await you in Oz and NZ - well, there ought to be imported wines from NZ if you’ll not be going there.

These wines have by now reached the point where they’re competitive to some of France’s finest - have beaten some of them, Italian wines too. Scan for articles about them online, you’ll see. But tasting is believing.

So, after you’ve gotten a sampling, see what kind of deal you can score for a lower per bottle rate to help negate the cost of possibly shipping home more bottles than what one is allowed to carry in. Sounds like you might be connoisseurs so this might be in order!

If Australia was closer to France and Italy, there would be Un Guerre Terrible du Vin. A couple of seas and an ocean keep it civil...well...and the wine 🍷🙃

These wines have by now reached the point where they’re competitive to some of France’s finest - have beaten some of them, Italian wines too. Scan for articles about them online, you’ll see. But tasting is believing.

If Australia was closer to France and Italy, there would be Un Guerre Terrible du Vin. A couple of seas and an ocean keep it civil...well...and the wine 🍷🙃

I would take any Australian or NZ wine over a French wine any day :D

g'day mate

ML

• 2 weeks later...

Wine??? To Australia :confused::o

You've got to be kidding! Leave your Napa Valley/Sanoma bottles at home. Compared to our Australian wines they are not 'special'. Have faith

Out of curiosity why would you have water in your luggage?

• 3 weeks later...
I’d keep yr food items in hand baggage. Once mandatory items are declared you will need to show them.

The last thing you will want to do is open yr large case.

It's probably more accurate to say that you should expect to have to show the items that you declare, but this is good advice in any event.

Flying into Sydney from US in my checked bags, I will have wine, water, mints and nutrition bars. Under any limit will I be OK. Going back I plan to have nothing! :halo:

Isn’t bringing wine into Australia like carrying coals to Newcasle?

:D