Vancouver Departure

meh56

First time leaving from Vancouver. We are on the Zaandam departing Sept 25 2018 and there are 2 other ships in port. Holland America said we can board the ship at 11:30am. We are thinking of flying in the day before and overnighting at the hotel located at the airport. Question is should we overnight at the airport or choose a hotel closer to the pier? Do you have a recommendation for a hotel closer to the pier that has a restaurant or is close by restaurants for dinner and breakfast? Is it a problem to get a taxi from airport to pier on day of sailing?

If you look around the board, you will see many recommendations for hotels downtown, including one that is in/on the Terminal Pier. You will also see many transportation options, including public transit, but that will be driven by number of bags, and can your drag them around. Have no fear, taxis are always available.

If you want to see some sights or walk to dinner I would book downtown. There is not much going on around the airport. You can take the train or taxi from the airport to downtown easily. We are staying at Auberge Vancouver Hotel. You can walk to the pier, or stroll over to Gastown from here. This is a mid priced place.

For value travellers, check out the Blue Horizon. Very central to downtown activities.

Very easy to get cabs to the port.

If you are arriving after 6pm with no sightseeing time. I like the Raddison Vancouver airport. $4 subway in the morning will have you at the cruise terminal in 25 minutes.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Forums mobile app

Traffic in and around the Port when there is three ships in is crazy and taxi's have to wait in line to get in as well as regular traffic so can cost you to be sitting in a taxi. Suggest staying at a hotel downtown that is in walking distance of the port or at the airport and take the Canada Line skytrain which has station next to the port (downtown is more fun and interesting if coming the night before).

I'll add to the sea of option that say stay downtown - even if you're coming in late the day before and just need a bed at that point, coming downtown late means no commuters so both SkyTrain and taxi are that little bit easier (fixed fares on cabs removes any extra cost from the equation regardless of time of course). While you can drop bags at the pier relatively early - 10am is a safe bet even on a 3 ship day - that still eats away at least a couple of hours sightseeing time, whereas a downtown hotel you just leave your bags, head out to see the parks/gardens etc. any time after sunup before heading to the ticketed attractions at 9am (almost nothing opens before 9am in Vancouver).

Especially on a 3 ship day, arriving late makes life much easier and faster at the pier. If it's May and one of the first 3 shippers, being REALLY early is strategic - so many new staff that things go pear-shaped and even a 3pm arrival can see you spending 2 hours in queues to board - but by September it's all running smoothly. If you show up at 11:30 you will wait a long time - peak arrival time for pax, so longest queues, are generally noon-1pm but with so many cruise lines giving suggested boarding times as late as 2pm any n00bs who are unaware that you can board earlier than the suggested time can drag that out longer, plus the bottleneck of CBP processing means that they simply cannot process people fast enough so queues build from 11am onward generally.

Only after the bulk of folks are processed - after 2pm - does the queue consistently reduce. Since we flipped to be late boarders, we've even gotten on the ship without having to stop walking except when required to interact with the kiosks/CBP/cruiseline check-in staff - it's been under 20mins curb to cabin.

If you come REALLY early - 10am or so - you will ALWAYS wait an hour or so, but then you'll woosh right through the lines so total time is likely in the 60-80minute range (boarding never starts before 11am, and with 3 ships to Zero Out just one idiot on a B2B that does not respond to the calls to get off can derail everyone from boarding until they are tracked down...). Turn up at 3pm (NB: make sure when your ship leaves - you MUST be at the pier by 90mins before this time or you'll be denied boarding!) and you can probably just walk right on with almost no queues at all.

Plus the other huge advantage to boarding late is that you have 5, 6, even 7 hours to sightsee around Vancouver. Leave the stuff near the pier for last so you remove risk of any transportation problems delaying you - FlyOverCanada is right at the pier and a short fixed-length ride, so booking a timeslot on this is a very safe bet even an hour before you want to board. Gastown is easily walked, and has several popular photostops (it's our most historic neighbourhood, with a working steam clock and the statue of Vancouver's first mayor, 'Gassy Jack' who the area was named after). You can even manage to visit the out-of-town-shuttle attractions of Capilano Bridge or Grouse Mountain safely on embarkation day - first shuttles leave the pier by 9am, come back on a 1pm shuttle gives you plenty of time for a walk or lunch near the pier then boarding (and if anything delays the shuttle a lot, you can still make the ship without an issue).

Traffic in and around the Port when there is three ships in is crazy and taxi's have to wait in line to get in as well as regular traffic so can cost you to be sitting in a taxi. Suggest staying at a hotel downtown that is in walking distance of the port or at the airport and take the Canada Line skytrain which has station next to the port (downtown is more fun and interesting if coming the night before).

Taxi and vehicles bringing passengers to the pier get to get in without waiting. Taxis that are waiting to pickup passengers wait in a line to pick up passengers. You can bypass both lines by having the taxi drop you in from of the Pan Pacific Hotel.

Give the bell man $20 to $30 and they will delivery yout bags directly to the porters.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be arriving on Zaandam on a Sunday morning and 3 other ships will also be arriving. I have transport to Vancouver airport. Plane leaves at noon. What is procedure once you get to airport from ship? Luggage, checking for flight, customs etc? I am clueless. Help

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will have Canadian Immigration and Customs as you leave the ship. You will need early transport to airport, as noon is the earliest recommended flight (did you check on this before booking?). You will have US immigration and Customs at the airport.

I'll be arriving on Zaandam on a Sunday morning and 3 other ships will also be arriving. I have transport to Vancouver airport. Plane leaves at noon. What is procedure once you get to airport from ship? Luggage, checking for flight, customs etc? I am clueless. Help

At the Airport it depends on where your flying. If your first leg is domestic (within Canada) or International you just deal with the standard airline check-in process and security. If your flight is a direct departure to the US, most of these flights pre-clear US customs as part of the check-in process, you then arrive at a domestic gate in the US.

Honestly I'd change the flight. 3 ship days are lready bad - this season's new 4 shippers will put even more pressure on the pier, airport, and limited taxi numbers. Most cruiseline transfers don't take bookings with flights before 12:30pm or even 1pm depending on line and date - so your transportation to YVR for a flight at noon must be independent.

Unless you are self-disembarking to be among the very first folks off the ship, and have either a limo booked or plan to use SkyTrain (unlike cabs there's no queuing for the latter and rarely much wait for the former) you stand a very good chance of getting caught up in the chaos and not getting to YVR fast - then also facing the thousands of your fellow cruisers who are doing the same as you having to filter through the queues to drop bags, do security, do US Immigration & Customs... frankly while YVRs recommended 'be three hours early' is usually far too long, on busy cruise days it sometimes isn't long enough!

Even with Global Entry or NEXUS - which will get you through both Security and CBP faster - I don't think I'd like to be one of the 4-ship day guinea pigs trying to get to the airport early! Best advice is to stay on an extra day or more - then take a flight as early as you like - or if you absolutely must be back in San Diego by end of day, change to a flight as late as you can that day. There's plenty of sightseeing options to entertain you, and you can even have your bags sent to the airport from the pier ($40 for up to 4 of them) so you're not encumbered with luggage while touring around for the day. Then take SkyTrain out to YVR (only $2.85pp!), collect your bags (any time between 4:30pm and 11pm), and you'll have much smaller queues to worry about for an evening flight.

It's a pricey one, but our absolute favorite is The Wedgewood Hotel. It's a great downtown location on Hornby Street, walking distance to many restaurants and shops. Their restaurant, Bacchus, is simply divine!

Pan Pacific Club Floors are pricy but well worth it. Private check in on 23rd floor, heavy apps and bar in the evening. Great breakfast in the morning. Bell staff picks up your bags in the morning and takes them to the ship.

This old man is confused. We will be flying into Seattle on Monday 9/17 (Southwest doesn't go to Vancouver) for Island Princess on 9/19. I can get a bus from Seattle going north within 2 hours of arrival at SeaTac. Take the light rail (approximately 33 minutes) and get on the bus. However, it indicates that we would be limited to two less-than-25 pounds pieces of luggage. What? Does that mean those buses don't have storage?

We could take the train, but that would mean staying overnight in Seattle to get the morning train. If I have to, I will; but I don't really want to do that.

Comments are welcome. Solutions are even better!

This old man is confused. We will be flying into Seattle on Monday 9/17 (Southwest doesn't go to Vancouver) for Island Princess on 9/19. I can get a bus from Seattle going north within 2 hours of arrival at SeaTac. Take the light rail (approximately 33 minutes) and get on the bus. However, it indicates that we would be limited to two less-than-25 pounds pieces of luggage. What? Does that mean those buses don't have storage?

We could take the train, but that would mean staying overnight in Seattle to get the morning train. If I have to, I will; but I don't really want to do that.

Comments are welcome. Solutions are even better!

It means the buses have less storage than the train, and that the driver (who is the only one allowed to move them into and out of the 'trunk') has an employer that cares about their well-being to at least some extent - or a good union;-)

LINK has some room for luggage - but Seatac is no longer the terminus, so the odds of getting on and finding enough room for you, more than 2 bags/2 BIG bags, which you have to manhandle yourself... if we're traveling with one suitcase, or carry on only, I LINK every time but more than that - take a car, there's a lot of walking involved.

Amtrak has superb luggage allowances - you can carry on two suitcases bigger than the buses allow, and a personal item, PLUS check two big bags for free. And costs to add extra bags are very reasonable.

Plus - consider if your flight is late... if you miss that bus, you need to rebook on another and given how many folks bus between Seattle & Vancouver and the dynamic pricing of all but Quickshuttle, it might end up costing you a lot more (plus the wasted ticket). I would not book any bus with a departure only 2 hours after scheduled landing, even for a domestic flight.

Car rental means no schlepping (or rather luggage trolley at Seatac to the car), as many bags as you can fit in the car you rent, and if your flight is late they won't blink - just put your flight details into the car booking. That's the only way I'd consider booking any onward transport within a couple of hours of my flight's ETA personally...

You will have Canadian Immigration and Customs as you leave the ship. You will need early transport to airport, as noon is the earliest recommended flight (did you check on this before booking?). You will have US immigration and Customs at the airport.

Thank you. I was wrong, there will be 3 ships in port that morning. I will be flying to San Diego. My agent reassured me several times I will have no problem. She said transport will leave pier about 8:30 am and that it takes 30 min to a/p giving me 3 hours . Is she wrong??? I'm scared now.

The issue is time for the various immigration procedures with 3 ships in, and the business at the airport. As mentioned, noon is the earliest recommended flight, so you will a good chance of making the flight. But you can't waste time. You will want to be in an early group off the ship.

Thank you. I was wrong, there will be 3 ships in port that morning. I will be flying to San Diego. My agent reassured me several times I will have no problem. She said transport will leave pier about 8:30 am and that it takes 30 min to a/p giving me 3 hours . Is she wrong??? I'm scared now.

What is the transport? Did your agent book you a towncar?

She's not wrong that drive time to airport is about 30mins - even on a three-shipper once you are out of the terminal there is isn't much concern with commuter traffic as, regardless of day, in the morning the heavy flow is inward and you are going outward. But unless she has booked a private transfer for you, with a Meet & Greet fee (expect to be paying approx. CAD$120+/US$85+ depending whether tip is prepaid or not), she is 100% wrong to give you any specific time that a transfer will leave at.

No other method than limos has any specific departure time - and as already mentioned, cruiseline transfers do not accept bookings for noon flights out of Vancouver even on quiet days, with 12:30pm or even 1pm the normal earliest time. They leave when the bus is full, not on any schedule. Taxis are first-come, first-served. Independent shuttles - no idea how frequently they leave, but prebooking them isn't possible any more unless a brand-new company has opened since the last prebookable one went under.

Find out EXACTLY what your agent has booked, get confirmation number, contact number, name and reach out to them yourself to verify - and also to find out what happens if you are late. How long will they wait for you? Will they charge extra? Will it be free up to X minutes late but then a charge? And if she says that you are on the first cruiseline transfer - demand confirmation IN WRITING that the line has agreed to get you to the airport for a noon flight, or whether your agent has sneakily claimed you are actually on a flight after the cutoff time to enable booking it...

We are arriving a day early and we are staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel which is on the pier. Here's our rationale: we booked their cruise package which includes accommodations, breakfast, bag transfer to the ship and late checkout (2pm). It cost us $303.00 USD. That's a bit pricey but with all that's included, it seemed like a good deal to us.

You can get the train from the airport and the station is a block from the hotel. We have too much luggage to make that practical so we're opting for a taxi.

When we return from our B2B on Celebrity, we will take our bags to CDS luggage service at the cruise terminal. They will transfer them to the airport where we will pick them up at 8pm and check in for our 10:30pm flight. One review we read said the cost for this service for up to 4 bags was $40 CDN. Even if it's a bit more, It's a great deal as it leaves us free to enjoy a day of unencumbered sightseeing.

Hope this info is helpful.

Harry

Honestly I'd change the flight. 3 ship days are lready bad - this season's new 4 shippers will put even more pressure on the pier, airport, and limited taxi numbers. Most cruiseline transfers don't take bookings with flights before 12:30pm or even 1pm depending on line and date - so your transportation to YVR for a flight at noon must be independent.

Unless you are self-disembarking to be among the very first folks off the ship, and have either a limo booked or plan to use SkyTrain (unlike cabs there's no queuing for the latter and rarely much wait for the former) you stand a very good chance of getting caught up in the chaos and not getting to YVR fast - then also facing the thousands of your fellow cruisers who are doing the same as you having to filter through the queues to drop bags, do security, do US Immigration & Customs... frankly while YVRs recommended 'be three hours early' is usually far too long, on busy cruise days it sometimes isn't long enough!

Even with Global Entry or NEXUS - which will get you through both Security and CBP faster - I don't think I'd like to be one of the 4-ship day guinea pigs trying to get to the airport early! Best advice is to stay on an extra day or more - then take a flight as early as you like - or if you absolutely must be back in San Diego by end of day, change to a flight as late as you can that day. There's plenty of sightseeing options to entertain you, and you can even have your bags sent to the airport from the pier ($40 for up to 4 of them) so you're not encumbered with luggage while touring around for the day. Then take SkyTrain out to YVR (only $2.85pp!), collect your bags (any time between 4:30pm and 11pm), and you'll have much smaller queues to worry about for an evening flight.

The original airline HAL booked for me changed my departure time from 12:10pm to 10:30 am and never informed HAL so my AAA travel agent was never told. I caught it myself last SUNDAY. Monday I went to AAA and I am now,on a better airline leaving 1:00pm- non stop back home. I can only imagine the breakdown I would have had in the Vancouver airport all alone and scared. You better believe I am checking New flight weekly. So glad for all those that put a little fear into me on this airline business.

The original airline HAL booked for me changed my departure time from 12:10pm to 10:30 am and never informed HAL so my AAA travel agent was never told. I caught it myself last SUNDAY. Monday I went to AAA and I am now,on a better airline leaving 1:00pm- non stop back home. I can only imagine the breakdown I would have had in the Vancouver airport all alone and scared. You better believe I am checking New flight weekly. So glad for all those that put a little fear into me on this airline business.

I'm honestly still surprised you were able to book a transfer as early as 12:10pm on a 4-shipper anyway, but with 1pm now the target you are in safer territory. I'd even say that this is one of those very rare days where a cruise transfer may actually be faster than a cab, as the queue for the latter could end up being simply outrageous. Solo traveler, first time here - I can understand the desire to just feel like it's all taken care of without stressing about finding your way to transit etc.

Do make sure you leave a book unread until the last day, and charge up your phone/tablet if you entertain yourself with electronics rather than paper. Queues for check-in, security, and CBP will be long at YVR once all the cruisers start rolling in - and if you do get lucky and your transfer coach leaves early enough you beat the rest of the horde you'll have 2+ hours to kill at the gate!