QM2 Sheltered Balconies?

Zombatar

We are looking to book a balcony cabin on QM2 for December 2019. One of the options we are being offered is a cabin with a "Sheltered " balcony. Can anybody tell exactly what that is. Looking at the diagram for the cabin online the balcony looks fully enclosed, effectively making it the same as an outside cabin unlike a proper balcony which is open to the air. The reason I ask is that it will be a 26 day cruise and the sheltered cabins are a lot lower in price then the standard balcony!

Peter and Jenny

It’s rather like a cabin with a room behind, but the window in that room has no glass. Many, many people like them, personally I don’t.

The balcony is slightly lrager than the open balconies, but you have to stand up to see the sea.

The main difference between an outside cabin and a QM2 sheltered balcony is that you can get fresh air on the balcony. In December the "sheltered" balcony is superior to other balconies as it is useable at this time of year.

Regards John

We are looking to book a balcony cabin on QM2 for December 2019. One of the options we are being offered is a cabin with a "Sheltered " balcony. Can anybody tell exactly what that is. Looking at the diagram for the cabin online the balcony looks fully enclosed, effectively making it the same as an outside cabin unlike a proper balcony which is open to the air. The reason I ask is that it will be a 26 day cruise and the sheltered cabins are a lot lower in price then the standard balcony!

Peter and Jenny

We have had a sheltered balcony on few times on Queen Mary 2 - in particular on a Winter crossing. In short the cabin is the same as an equivalent glazed in cabin on higher decks. The sheltered balcony is deeper, with a large cut out opening and rail from chest height up. They are basically to protect the staterooms and their balconies from high seas and winds below deck 7 (the promenade deck). In the Winter they work really well:

- Protection from winds - but you can get fresh air - glazed ins tend to be wind lashed in the winter.

- Protection from high waves - the main reason for them.

To us the only disadvantage is you don't get direct sun and cant really sunbathe on them - but I guess you had not planned much balcony sunbathing in December!!

They are great at that time of year and offer good value - NB:

- Mid ships deck 5 are good.

- I suggest you avoid deck 6 as the cabin and balcony are below deck 7 - the Promenade Deck; could be a noise problem at certain times of day.

- Same for deck 4 Mid Forward & Forward as over the theatre and Illuminations - not sure about the sound proofing, others may know.

Bon voyage. David

• Like 1

Cruiseluvva's description is the one I always use--the balcony is a room with a picture window, but no glass in the window.

I love the sheltered balconies, especially for a transatlantic. When the wind is so strong that it's uncomfortable to go out on a higher more open balcony, you can still go outside for fresh air on the sheltered balcony. And the low midships ride is smoother, if you're worried about mal de mer.

The other nice thing is if you stand at the opening and look down, you are looking directly at the sea, not lifeboats and the promenade deck.

We've been on deck 6 and not had issues with noise above us.

• Like 1

It's funny how some love a sheltered balcony and others don't like them at all. Some wags even refer to the sheltered balconies as "hull holes". I much prefer a room on eight deck that is obscured by a lifeboat. ( categories DB, DC, & DF) These rooms are less expensive than a sheltered balcony and there is a limited view of the ocean while sitting or standing. Also on sunny days the obscured rooms on eight deck can get light in the stateroom proper.

• Like 1

It's funny how some love a sheltered balcony and others don't like them at all. Some wags even refer to the sheltered balconies as "hull holes". I much prefer a room on eight deck that is obscured by a lifeboat. ( categories DB, DC, & DF) These rooms are less expensive than a sheltered balcony and there is a limited view of the ocean while sitting or standing. Also on sunny days the obscured rooms on eight deck can get light in the stateroom proper.

But on a sunny day, those rooms glow ORANGE. :eek:

On a TA we always get a south-facing cabin and get enough light that way.

Peter and Jenny

Where is the cruise?

Where is the cruise?

Almost certainly voyage M941B, "Grand Caribbean Celebration" as that's the only 26-day cruise on QM2's schedule for December 2019. Assuming that's the voyage we're talking about, that's two crossings between Southampton and New York with the Christmas cruise to the Caribbean in between. That does complicate the decision a little bit in that I would personally prefer a sheltered balcony for the crossings across the North Atlantic especially that time of year, but a glass-fronted balcony certainly has its advantages for the Caribbean portion of that voyage.

You are right about it being M941b and as we both like to spend time on the balcony and enjoy the sun on it we are still unsure. Oh well thanks for all the feedback we really appreciate it. Got to make a decision soon as the cruise seems to be selling out quite quickly and we have to book by June to get our past cruisers 5% discount, which will nicely cover the gratuities!

Peter and Jenny

Cruiseluvva's description is the one I always use--the balcony is a room with a picture window, but no glass in the window.

I love the sheltered balconies, especially for a transatlantic. When the wind is so strong that it's uncomfortable to go out on a higher more open balcony, you can still go outside for fresh air on the sheltered balcony. And the low midships ride is smoother, if you're worried about mal de mer.

The other nice thing is if you stand at the opening and look down, you are looking directly at the sea, not lifeboats and the promenade deck.

We've been on deck 6 and not had issues with noise above us.

Hello - thanks for the advise regarding deck 6 - when booking a Sheltered Balcony we have always plumped for deck 5 - but it will be worth remembering that 6 seems not to be a noise issue, much appreciated.

Hello - thanks for the advise; cant comment as we have never selected an Obscured View stateroom, I just don't like the idea of seeing an orange and white boat on a long voyage. Its a shame the Cunard ships have them at all. Perhaps the two new Cunard ships due 2021/2 will be able to avoid them by repositioning the life boats?

• 1 month later...
You are right about it being M941b and as we both like to spend time on the balcony and enjoy the sun on it we are still unsure. Oh well thanks for all the feedback we really appreciate it. Got to make a decision soon as the cruise seems to be selling out quite quickly and we have to book by June to get our past cruisers 5% discount, which will nicely cover the gratuities!

Peter and Jenny

I’ve done a TA and a Caribbean cruise. I would have a regular balcony. It’s wonderful to wake up every day in a new Caribbean port, sipping coffee as you sit on your balcony and relax with a glass of wine at night. And it is romantic for two! I also enjoyed sitting up in bed looking at the Statue of Liberty as we arrived in NYC!

On the other hand, I've done that in a sheltered balcony as well.

The primary differences is in visibility wile seated. If you're out standing at the rail sipping a mimosa it makes no difference.

Full disclosure: I have a glass front balcony on 11 booked for Christmas.

Peter and Jenny

I had one for 12 days last year and loved it....booked for 13 days his year and hoping to change to a sheltered balcony.Always travel with a balcony and this kind has got tp be he best I have had. You may not be able to see the sea without standing up but sit on the the table and you will see out. You will never know unless you try it for yourself.