Pre-existing Condition Of Non-Traveling Family Member

cluso

I'm trying to figure out insurance requirements and decided to ask here first since people might have had experience with this. I do know that next I should go to sites like Insuremytrip, etc., then eventually an insurance company.

It appears pre-existing conditions also applies to immediate family members that are not traveling with you. My Mother-in-law is 93, has declining health, and has been in and out of the hospital 3 times in the past two years for various reasons. Does this sound like we could not get insurance if something bad happens pre-cruise or on the cruise? :confused:

RJake1

I'm not sure I explained this well. This would be for future cruises not yet scheduled. I understand many companies have a "look back window"--some up to three years. I am thinking her recent past would be "pre-existing conditions" and that would disallow us for getting insurance to cover that.

Does this sound like we could not get insurance if something bad happens pre-cruise or on the cruise? :confused:

Possible 2 different answers.

Your profile says you are in Florida. That means one of two things. You are a US citizen, or, you are a snowbird from Canada and when you set up your CC profile you used Florida.

let's assume you are a US citizen.

With that being the situation and with the above statement that MIL is 93 with health concerns,,,, then absolutely you MUST purchase insurance that "waives" pre-existing conditions to include non traveling family members.

Most policies REQUIRE that you purchase the insurance within XX (14 to 21) days of initial deposit AND that you must cover all non-refundable expenses.

As you know though. you can get more information from

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

http://www.insuremytrip.com

Barneyboy,

I am sorry for your loss. I had never realized that pre-existing conditions applied to family members not traveling--have never seen that in any detailed description. So many people have family members (young and old) with medical issues.

Thank you for your input.

Barneyboy,

I am sorry for your loss. I had never realized that pre-existing conditions applied to family members not traveling--have never seen that in any detailed description. So many people have family members (young and old) with medical issues.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/your-family-member-or-traveling-companion/

Strongly suggest that you CALL

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

as well as reading anything online.

They'll help walk you through some choices of policies (and perhaps different insurers) that "fit your needs". Talk openly with them, so they CAN get you the right fit.

We have similar situation. MIL is approaching 100. She's still alert and active (!!), but... certainly has a variety of "medical conditions".

So we need the same type of coverage you seek, one that would cover her illness or worse, even if related to a pre-existing condtion.

We keep getting the same type of policy because our needs/preferences haven't changed.

We've purchased Travel Insured policies through Trip Insurance Store, and we have had several claims, including two large ones.

Travel Insured has paid each claim with no nonsense, so... we'll keep using them!

We also get CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage. This does add to the cost, about 50%, so not cheap.

We add this for two reasons. First, at MIL's age, IF she said, "I just don't feel right"... DH would definitely want to stay, even if MIL insisted we go. Obviously if a physician declared her sick/etc., the regular insurance would cover that, but DH would refuse to go if MIL "started to get sick". At her age, any little thing can progress quickly...

The second reason is that especially for trips planned FAR in advance (most of ours are 1-2 years in advance), he can't be sure about his work schedule. It's all "up to him", but he enjoys his work, and wouldn't want to miss some big conference he had organized, for example! (Yes, he's well past "regular" retirement age. SOMEday, he'll retire. I'm satisfied that he finally agreed to "real" vacations :-) )

Also, in this day and age, we might get skittish about some conflict/etc., somewhere, but a place that isn't "declared unsafe" by State Dept or such. And then we'd much prefer to get 75% back rather than nothing.

For now, this is "free" b/c we have the MIL health situation. We'll need to re-assess once that concern isn't, um, still a concern...

RM

Barneyboy,

Thank you. I didn’t realise either until we tried to claim. Luckily it was only a one week trip to Malta so we didn’t lose too much (we are in Scotland).

We want to book a six week trip to Australia and New Zealand to include a cruise but my father in law is 90 and has several conditions so not sure what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I didn’t realise either until we tried to claim. Luckily it was only a one week trip to Malta so we didn’t lose too much (we are in Scotland).

We want to book a six week trip to Australia and New Zealand to include a cruise but my father in law is 90 and has several conditions so not sure what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Something VERY important to remember is that apparently travel insurance terms can vary dramatically from country to country.

We've noticed what appear to be very different requirements between the USA (which has quite a variety of policies among the states and companies) and Canada, and also between USA and the UK.

What *matters* is what the terms of "your" policy are, not what someone else has, not what "most" policies have, etc.

Unfortunately, in many cases, some unexpected event occurs, one that someone didn't quite think about, and thus didn't ask about before getting the policy.

That's why we strongly urge people to SPEAK with someone at the potential insurance company or a broker. Just "chatting" can elicit comments that might lead the insurer or broker to recommend "this" type of policy rather than "that", or at least to alert the traveler that x wouldn't be covered, or that policy A would cover x, but not policy B.

Even "pre-existing conditions", for example, can be defined differently by different insurers/policies.

There is no way the "online summaries" of policies can fully go into all of the "fine print", which can make all the difference...

RM

As much as I've dug into travel insurance and learned as much about it as I could before purchasing, this is one aspect that I overlooked (given I have an elderly parent who has several grave conditions that could qualify as pre-existing). Our travel insurance covers illness and death of a family member. It does not have the "sickness or injury commences while coverage is in effect" clause that has been discussed here since at least 2004 as being the clause on which such coverage hinges - BUT, our policy does state that ALL coverage excludes coverage resulting from pre-existing conditions. (Luckily, we qualify for the Pre-Existing Condition Waiver.)

If she had been released from the hospital, and then readmitted months later, that would likely NOT be a pre-existing condition, but without knowing specifics it's impossible to tell. I suggest you purchase insurance with waiver of pre-existing conditions. It costs moee, and you must usually purchase within a few days of paying your first cruise deposit. Some insurance companies waive pre-existing if you purchase within 14 days of booking the cruise. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app