Sea Princess April 7, 2020 Sydney to Auckland

floridababa

Just booked this cruise but having second thoughts. I hear the seas are bad in that area and such a small ship will not take it well. Is this true? It does South Pacific and Hawaii. It is a bucket list cruise but now hubby is questioning it. The ship is only 77,000 lbs.

Please help us with this.

Thank you

We've been in 5 metre seas on her sister ship, Sun Princess. Yes, it was a bit bouncy but not uncomfortably so. And, yes, the newer ships are smoother but not by much.

On the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise you don't actually cross the Tasman Sea, you come across from Tahiti.

We're doing that cruise Sydney to Sydney next August. It's a very popular itinerary down here, so much so it is offered twice a year, almost always on Sea Princess (and Sea is also used for the world cruises), and sells out quite quickly. It wouldn't be that popular if lots of people were worried about small ships and bad seas.

Pack some seasickness meds just in case and you shouldn't have any problems.

• 2 months later...
Anyone know what the Tasman would be like in September? DH and I are considering a Sea Princess 4 day cruise from Auckland to Sydney September 16-20 of this year.

You can ever be sure, we did a NZ cruise Oct a few years back, one was a millpond the other about 3m seas.

Anyone know what the Tasman would be like in September? DH and I are considering a Sea Princess 4 day cruise from Auckland to Sydney September 16-20 of this year.

That cruise is a sector of the Australia - Hawaii/Tahiti round trip cruise that Princess does twice a year. They wouldn't include NZ on the itinerary if the seas were consistently bad. There is less chance of rough seas doing the more northern route across the Tasman (Auckland to Sydney) than if crossing from the bottom of the South Island.

We're doing the full Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in August next year so I'm hoping for "comfortable" seas.

That cruise is a sector of the Australia - Hawaii/Tahiti round trip cruise that Princess does twice a year. They wouldn't include NZ on the itinerary if the seas were consistently bad. There is less chance of rough seas doing the more northern route across the Tasman (Auckland to Sydney) than if crossing from the bottom of the South Island.

We're doing the full Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in August next year so I'm hoping for "comfortable" seas.

I’m hoping for a couple of days of rough in April.

We recently cruised (Feb 2018) from Sydney to New Zealand and our two day crossing was very rough, so much so that the captain had to slow the ship down to avoid being damaged by the pounding waves and also because there were a lot of passengers feeling seasick, myself among them. Due to the slowdown, our ship was not able to enter Milford Sound as we were too far behind in schedule. This was a huge disappointment to a lot of folks on board. Apparently this is not an uncommon occurrence although there is no way to predict what the seas will be like on any given day. I had heard that the seas can be mirror smooth or very rough but no guarantees on either. The crossing back from New Zealand was less rough and quite smooth on the second day although we were delayed getting into Sydney due to a strong current. Before our Sydney to New Zealand cruise we had also taken the Sydney to Tasmania cruise and the one day crossing was also rough although not as bad as the previous one.

Would I do it again in order to see more of Tasmania, Australia and New Zealand - YES!

Hope this helps.

Barb