Stop in Santorini Gr aboard Whisper June 18

Sank and Frandy

Hi,

the tenders run backwards and forwards and the key thing is to absolutely ensure you are on the first tender to be in front of the queue and take the first funicular you can. Queues build up and sometimes they are so long people often give up.

Many people feel strongly that you shouldn't take one of the donkeys or mules. If you decide to stroll down just be aware that the route is smelly from the oozings of the donkeys and mules and can be very unpleasant. Also keep away from their “wrong end” as they seem to have fun at tourists expense! ;)

The other advantage to being one of the first “up” is that you can grab an early cab to Oia before it fills up. Oia is much more scenic than Fira, and you can always have a quick wander before you go down to the tenders.

If when your ship arrives there are already one or two other largish ships already moored I’d suggest you look at the funicular queues first and consider a more rational decision might be to simply give up and enjoy the peace of the pool bar and watch the circus going up and down the hill. We’ve done that several times.

Can anybody confirm the tender schedule and do the tenders go only to Fira? If so, is the cable car up to town a reasonable option with a stroll back down to the tender dock? Many Thanks

The tenders run back and forth all day long and only go to Fira. Something like every 30 minutes. I don’t consider the walk down to be a stroll and personally, as UKCruiseJeff points out, I think it would be unpleasant. We’ve been there with us being the only ship in port but also with two other Celebrity and MSC ships in port. Obviously being the only ship was great so waits for the cable car were nonexistent. With the two big ships in port there was a bit of a wait but it moves fairly quickly. One of our favorite stops so we always get off.

Many thanks. I understand Fira isn't much - over run tourist places - even a McDonalds! Living in a tourist town, I appreciate the comments re the donkeys. We have a similar problem with horse drawn carts and summer time abuse.

Frank and Sandy,

People’s experience of the cable car will vary but each group has six pods each carrying six people. I have been up when we’ve been the only ship in and we were first off. We’ve also been there when a couple of giants have been in. A few thousand divided by 36 ........

Anyway, to whet your appetite, I see you on Whisper so this is Whisper at Santorini and a few pics of Oia and a piccy of wifey enjoying the peace of Whisper whilst everyone is queuing!

Enjoy your visit.

af96d8974677d054a61ef9cef0d123a4.jpg

178b939360eb5ccf4c3c0863a482e0a7.jpg

16eaf74e019dd7c8b591054cb44e3f23.jpg

5aab8295587520f26522450f179de68c.jpg

0d1ee3fa5e638c0d8a910f9df9e891d1.jpg6000a55abd6828c98cc508d6f1522251.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The walk up and down was no problem for us, and there's never really a wait when you walk. But we've also walked the Phoenecian steps to Anacapri, and the climb to Fira town is only about 2/3 the distance, compared to that. We didn't have an issue with the donkeys or their presents, but then again I grew up in a barn with cows and their presents. So it's all about perspective! Enjoy either way.

PS - like the Spoonerism in your name!

We have walked up and down and taken the cable car. We like the cable car if there is no wait in line. However, walking isn’t that bad. We have done the Anacapri hike though, like JP, though, and we own a cattle ranch. So YMMv.

I wonder what, if any, will be the impact of the 8,000 visitors per day limit imposed last year. Our last visit was in 2016 before the new limit and my estimate was there was the possibility of 12,000 visitors with the four ships in port. It was busy but it was also an unusually warm...maybe even hot....101F/38C and people were leaving the island for their ships very early in the afternoon.

I visited Santorini in 2014. I took the ship's tour to Fira and Oia, but decided to stay on our own in Oia for a longer time. We had difficulty finding a taxi from Oia to Fira and a long, long queue for the funicular to our tender spot. Please check the ships on your day to visit, and take Jeff's advice if the behemoths will be there.

I'd hate to see what actually qualifies as hot in your dictionary. ;)

Us poor mountain folk begin to wilt at 90F and down right shrivel up at 101F.

I live in San Antonio, Texas so hot is 100F+. Try 60 straight days of 103 to 105F and now you’re talking hot. :) We shrivel up if it gets below 45F......that’s downright frigid. :eek:

I live in San Antonio, Texas so hot is 100F+. Try 60 straight days of 103 to 105F and now you’re talking hot. :) We shrivel up if it gets below 45F......that’s downright frigid. :eek:
Haha! Love the perspective. You wouldn't have enjoyed our little snow storm today.

Quick story, and my apologies to the OP for getting so far off their original subject, but many years ago when I was completing my MBA, the good folks at HEB were recruiting me for a position with the company in San Antonio. They flew my DW and I down for a fantastic weekend. I never sweated as much as I did that weekend in my entire life. Needless to say, I created so much laundry over those two days that my wife said she'd leave me if I took the job. Thankfully, I was smart enough to say "thanks, but no thanks" and we're still together celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this year.

Good luck to your Spurs tonight and hopefully they can shock the Warriors.

Haha! Love the perspective. You wouldn't have enjoyed our little snow storm today.

Quick story, and my apologies to the OP for getting so far off their original subject, but many years ago when I was completing my MBA, the good folks at HEB were recruiting me for a position with the company in San Antonio. They flew my DW and I down for a fantastic weekend. I never sweated as much as I did that weekend in my entire life. Needless to say, I created so much laundry over those two days that my wife said she'd leave me if I took the job. Thankfully, I was smart enough to say "thanks, but no thanks" and we're still together celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this year.

Good luck to your Spurs tonight and hopefully they can shock the Warriors.

We moved from Northern Virginia to here just to avoid snow and ice. We rarely do ice here and snow is extremely rare which is fine by me. I can cool off easily on warm to hot days but I’m beyond miserable if it’s freezing. As for that particular cruise it was in June 2016 and the whole Med had gotten hit by winds and the heat out of North Africa. Several of our fellow passengers, many who were British, were not happy cruisers.

Many thanks to all for the information. Looks to be about 4K folk in port that day we're there but out before the 2nd ship arrives, then to Oia and then back aboard mid afternoon before sailing at 7 should work fine.

Don't mind the thread hijack - we live in the Bahamas so the weather isn't a problem - hopefully humidity will be lower but island life is what it is!

Many thanks to all for the information. Looks to be about 4K folk in port that day we're there but out before the 2nd ship arrives, then to Oia and then back aboard mid afternoon before sailing at 7 should work fine.

Don't mind the thread hijack - we live in the Bahamas so the weather isn't a problem - hopefully humidity will be lower but island life is what it is!

4,000 should be relatively calm and that assumes all 4,000 actually get off their ships. I don’t remember it ever being humid there but then again we’re used to high humidity.

4,000 should be relatively calm and that assumes all 4,000 actually get off their ships. I don’t remember it ever being humid there but then again we’re used to high humidity.

Yeah looks like the humidity there is 20-30 points less than us at that time of year - it'll be a nice change.

A lot of the larger ships leave Santorini about 2PM whereas luxury ships stay until 6PM. So check the hours in port for those ships and you may be able to avoid the long lines. What I have never understood is why no luxury line spends the night in Santorini in order to allow passengers to see one of the most incredible sunsets in the world.

Have you thought about visiting Akrotiri excavations site? Amazing and I would rate it right up there amongst the many historical sites in the Med. Certainly worth considering.

Edited by Randyk47

I so hope you enjoy Santorini.

Of all the places this is one where it really does pay off to plan ahead and be on that first tender. Oia is completely different before people arrive. Obviously it is largely narrow pedestrian lanes and it is magic first thing in the morning. The guy in the second picture came out of his house and climbed onto his chimney to eat his breakfast. No other time of day will give you that exclusive opportunity to soak in the atmosphere.

If so inclined, get a taxi and when you have had a mooch around then just head back to where the taxi dropped you off in Oia, and you will get one easily as they will be dropping others off. Then when you are dropped off at Fira then you can have a look around but Fira is always going to be busy but Oia has that magic hour.

:)

A lot of the larger ships leave Santorini about 2PM whereas luxury ships stay until 6PM. So check the hours in port for those ships and you may be able to avoid the long lines. What I have never understood is why no luxury line spends the night in Santorini in order to allow passengers to see one of the most incredible sunsets in the world.

I agree that an overnight or at least late night departure would be great. We asked a few years ago and were told, and it may just be an easy excuse, that since they can’t dock or anchor they have to use the ship’s thrusters and main propulsion to hold station and they don’t want to do that until late or overnight. The other issue is that they already have one cruise ship that sunk there after running aground so they may want cruise ships clear of the caldera by a certain time.

Edited by Randyk47

I agree that an overnight or at least late night departure would be great. We asked a few years ago and were told, and it may just be an easy excuse, that since they can’t dock or anchor they have to use the ship’s thrusters and main propulsion to hold station and they don’t want to do that until late or overnight.

I think with the limit of 8000 daily cruise passengers the mayor may wish to ensure that each day there are all new passengers on the basis (right or wrong) that they will have more spending power and that this is also fairer to cruise lines. They had 636 cruise ships last year mostly during the Med season, with some days 18,000 swarming up. Imagine waiting for those 36 cable car places .......:)

In an unprecedented step, he has also capped visitor numbers this year, limiting the number of cruise ship passengers disembarking daily to 8,000 people. Last year 636 ships docked at the island, the country’s most popular cruise destination. There were days when 18,000 passengers arrived, all wanting to see the famous island of narrow lanes and blue-domed churches.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/28/santorini-popularity-soars-but-locals-say-it-has-hit-saturation-point

Santorini is a must-see port...and yes, the sunsets are amazing. Oia is magical! As I said earlier, we departed from the ship's tour to spend more time in Oia. We walked and got lost in the narrow, crooked streets, and found ourselves in a small church, more like a chapel, where - unbeknownst to us - there would be a funeral. It all happened so quickly that we could not leave without making a fuss and we were so glad we stayed! The ambiance was solemn, and quiet, which led to reflection on our mortality. I guess we were thought to belong there as we were nudged to queue in to say good by and a mental, personal prayer for the deceased. Needless to say we appreciated the solemnity of the occasion, very much in contrast to other "celebration of life" ceremonies we have attended. All in all, an unforgettable memory.

I so hope you enjoy Santorini.

Of all the places this is one where it really does pay off to plan ahead and be on that first tender. Oia is completely different before people arrive. Obviously it is largely narrow pedestrian lanes and it is magic first thing in the morning. The guy in the second picture came out of his house and climbed onto his chimney to eat his breakfast. No other time of day will give you that exclusive opportunity to soak in the atmosphere.

If so inclined, get a taxi and when you have had a mooch around then just head back to where the taxi dropped you off in Oia, and you will get one easily as they will be dropping others off. Then when you are dropped off at Fira then you can have a look around but Fira is always going to be busy but Oia has that magic hour.

:)

Sounds like a plan - BTW, Jeff, where was the lovely brunch with DW set up on Whisper - your Balcony? I think we'll make a bee line for Oia (bus or Taxi) and hang out there until lunch

Hi,

It is the deck outside Terrazza and Oia is in the background. We’re all different, but we’re very much “atmosphere” people and are obsessive about being in places when they are as empty as possible when we visit and will go to extreme efforts to contrive and try and get to places when they are empty. We have techniques and procedures for everywhere .... art galleries .... museums .... ancient sites. Even the Vatican. :D

SS-wise that normally means we are often returning to an empty ship as others are leaving so we feel we get the best of all worlds.