Shore trips on Mediterranean cruise beginning in Athens

crepe

Has anyone been on this cruise? We stop in Croatia, Greece, and Italy. Are there any Seabourn shore trips that are a must do? We like to take a private car some days too. Any recommendations on sight seeing trips?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

crepe-

Do you mean one of the the Athens to Venice cruises on the Odyssey this summer?

If so, I have been on many of those ports both by cruise and by land vacations. I am also going to be on one of them this summer.

Let us know and I can give you some suggestions.

crepe-

Do you mean one of the the Athens to Venice cruises on the Odyssey this summer?

If so, I have been on many of those ports both by cruise and by land vacations. I am also going to be on one of them this summer.

Let us know and I can give you some suggestions.

Yes, this is it. Any suggestions?

Yes, this is it. Any suggestions?

Monemvasia - Mystras is one of the top sites in Greece. It is extraordinary and very little known. I really advice going there. (We have been to Mystras and Olympia on land vacations.) If not, the walking tour of Monemvasia itself which is a beautiful medieval town. Don't take the Sparta alone tour. It is an ugly modern town and the ruins are not very interesting.

Katakolon - One of the excursions to Olympia. Pick one that includes the museum.

Brindisi - Go to Alberobello. It is quite a jewel and completely unexpected. Or combine it with Ostuni. We are doing a private excursion there to visit those places again and go to a few other small villages.

Syvota - haven't been there. It doesn't look like much. Maybe a beach day. The only excursion I might consider is to Parga. This is the one port I wish would be replaced with something more interesting.

Dubrovnik - If you haven't been there before, certainly take the walking tour of the city alone or the Cavtat and Dubrovnik excursion. We did that one last time and it was very enjoyable. Since we have been there a couple of times, we might do the oysters or the wine tour. Maybe the beach. Haven't decided, but we will save enough time to enjoy the city again.

Zadar - haven't been. The Krka natural park could be good, but we might just go on the walking tour of the town. I see there is an excursion to Split which is well worth seeing, but it is long.

Which date are you going?

Edited by marazul

We went to Olympia by taxi and arranged for the driver to meet us three hours later. The cost was around half the Seabourn tour. You obviously don’t have a guide but we researched the site before we went. The museum is a must.:cool:

Monemvasia - Mystras is one of the top sites in Greece. It is extraordinary and very little known. I really advice going there. (We have been to Mystras and Olympia on land vacations.) If not, the walking tour of Monemvasia itself which is a beautiful medieval town. Don't take the Sparta alone tour. It is an ugly modern town and the ruins are not very interesting.

Katakolon - One of the excursions to Olympia. Pick one that includes the museum.

Brindisi - Go to Alberobello. It is quite a jewel and completely unexpected. Or combine it with Ostuni. We are doing a private excursion there to visit those places again and go to a few other small villages.

Syvota - haven't been there. It doesn't look like much. Maybe a beach day. The only excursion I might consider is to Parga. This is the one port I wish would be replaced with something more interesting.

Dubrovnik - If you haven't been there before, certainly take the walking tour of the city alone or the Cavtat and Dubrovnik excursion. We did that one last time and it was very enjoyable. Since we have been there a couple of times, we might do the oysters or the wine tour. Maybe the beach. Haven't decided, but we will save enough time to enjoy the city again.

Zadar - haven't been. The Krka natural park could be good, but we might just go on the walking tour of the town. I see there is an excursion to Split which is well worth seeing, but it is long.

Which date are you going?

Sept 22. Thank you for the info! It helps a lot!

We went to Olympia by taxi and arranged for the driver to meet us three hours later. The cost was around half the Seabourn tour. You obviously don’t have a guide but we researched the site before we went. The museum is a must.:cool:

Thank you!

Sept 22. Thank you for the info! It helps a lot!

We are going in August. I will let you know about Syvota and Zadar when we return. I know my suggestions on the other ports will not change for a first timer. :)

We are going in August. I will let you know about Syvota and Zadar when we return. I know my suggestions on the other ports will not change for a first timer. :)

[emoji106]

[emoji106]

Easy to rent a car in Katakolon to drive to Olympia. You get there before the crowds then.

We followed Rick Steeves's guide whilst at Olympia. It is really good. His Mediterranean book is excellent for any of that part of the world.

Monemvasia is truly wonderful. A treat!

Krka NP is also worth a visit. We drove ourselves there too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Easy to rent a car in Katakolon to drive to Olympia. You get there before the crowds then.

We followed Rick Steeves's guide whilst at Olympia. It is really good. His Mediterranean book is excellent for any of that part of the world.

Monemvasia is truly wonderful. A treat!

Krka NP is also worth a visit. We drove ourselves there too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
We are on this same cruise in July! :)

How far is Split and is there a SB excursion for it?

Yes, there is a SB excursion. Split is almost 2 hours from Zadar, so, it is a long excursion. Thankfully, we were there on a previous SB cruise.

Go to the "Booked Guests" link in the SB website to see all the excursions.

We are on the 21 day July 14 on the Odyssey. I was wondering about Monemvasia. Seabourn has a tour to Mystras that gets back at 1:15. Ship leaves at 5 pm. Does that leave enough time to walk around Monemvasia?? Want to see both.

We are on the 21 day July 14 on the Odyssey. I was wondering about Monemvasia. Seabourn has a tour to Mystras that gets back at 1:15. Ship leaves at 5 pm. Does that leave enough time to walk around Monemvasia?? Want to see both.

Yes, it is a small town. You can have a good walk around in a couple of hours.

Maybe get some lunch in Monemvasia instead of going back to the ship. That will give you more time to visit.

Yes, it is a small town. You can have a good walk around in a couple of hours.

Maybe get some lunch in Monemvasia instead of going back to the ship. That will give you more time to visit.

The SB excursion says strenuous. My elderly mother will be with us. Is strenuous true for the tour? Or would it be better to hire a car to see mystras?

Mystras contains a range of very ancient and beautifully decorated orthodox monasteries. Getting up to the two at the higher level is definitely strenuous. However, it would be possible for someone who is not so agile and fit to visit the ones that are at the lower level, where the coaches park. When I did the trip, there was one man who walked with a stick and he stayed behind. The only thing I can;t remember was whether there were seats/cafe/toilet facilities at the lower level, for anyone who stays behind. Monemvasia has a tiny museum, but the real enjoyment is the secret town itself. Again, if you choose to walk up to the church and fortifications at the top it is pretty strenuous.

It is correct that Mystras has three levels: castle, upper town and lower town. However, there are two entrances to Mystras: one to the upper level and one to the lower level. They are both accessible by car and have parking areas. (I think I saw buses at the upper parking area,) From the upper level you can visit the upper town and/or hike up to the ruined 13-century castle (top or third level), but that's a strenuous hike and we didn't do it. It would take at least 20 minutes up a steep road. So, from that upper entrance you can walk around the upper town to see Agia Sophia and the Despot's castle. Then you can get back to the parking area and drive down to the lower entrance. From the lower entrance you visit the lower town and the charming and still active convent (one of the prettiest and most peaceful places you will ever see).

And yes, it is a steep path between the upper and lower towns as well. We walked it down from the upper town and it took us a good half hour, but it was our choice. Our driver told us about it and we chose to do that instead of driving down.

(BTW - the driver was George the Famous Taxi Driver. We took a 5-day tour of the Peloponnese with him is his yellow Mercedes taxi.)

So, my advice is to get in touch with Seabourn and ask whether their tour will drive you to both upper and lower entrances. If not, go by car.

Edited by marazul

• 2 weeks later...
It is correct that Mystras has three levels: castle, upper town and lower town. However, there are two entrances to Mystras: one to the upper level and one to the lower level. They are both accessible by car and have parking areas. (I think I saw buses at the upper parking area,) From the upper level you can visit the upper town and/or hike up to the ruined 13-century castle (top or third level), but that's a strenuous hike and we didn't do it. It would take at least 20 minutes up a steep road. So, from that upper entrance you can walk around the upper town to see Agia Sophia and the Despot's castle. Then you can get back to the parking area and drive down to the lower entrance. From the lower entrance you visit the lower town and the charming and still active convent (one of the prettiest and most peaceful places you will ever see).

And yes, it is a steep path between the upper and lower towns as well. We walked it down from the upper town and it took us a good half hour, but it was our choice. Our driver told us about it and we chose to do that instead of driving down.

(BTW - the driver was George the Famous Taxi Driver. We took a 5-day tour of the Peloponnese with him is his yellow Mercedes taxi.)

So, my advice is to get in touch with Seabourn and ask whether their tour will drive you to both upper and lower entrances. If not, go by car.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from 12 days on the Odyssey. In Zadar, there were fellows waiting on the dock offering a trip to Krka Park, including the boat ride on the lake plus a tour of Zadar for 25€ a piece. The guys with the tour signs and a desk further along the pier wanted 55€ each and I’m not sure if that included the boat ride but they gave you some sort of lunch. The 4 of us walked around the town and enjoyed ourselves, but I wish we had gone to Krka Park (I was outvoted).

When you walk to the end of the town to the old gate, there is a lovely park with plenty of places to sit in the shade and have a drink.

BTW, it was really hot in the Med in early June.

Linda

Just back from 12 days on the Odyssey. In Zadar, there were fellows waiting on the dock offering a trip to Krka Park, including the boat ride on the lake plus a tour of Zadar for 25€ a piece. The guys with the tour signs and a desk further along the pier wanted 55€ each and I’m not sure if that included the boat ride but they gave you some sort of lunch. The 4 of us walked around the town and enjoyed ourselves, but I wish we had gone to Krka Park (I was outvoted).

When you walk to the end of the town to the old gate, there is a lovely park with plenty of places to sit in the shade and have a drink.

BTW, it was really hot in the Med in early June.

Linda

Linda,

Can you comment on Syvota?

And any other comments on the cuise.

It's good to know about the Zadar port options.

Thanks!

PS - to the powers that be: This is why this thread should not have been moved.