Opinions on Premium Economy for FTL/ PBI to HNL in 2019...

big al

My family is interested in going from FLL or PBIA airports ( NOT Miami) to Honolulu next May 2019...some want to fly Premium Economy. I hear Southwest is starting Hawaii service maybe this September, which should make pricing more competitive. I prefer wide bodies like 777 , 767's or Airbus 330-340's for long flights..some will be using points with Capital One VISA..any thoughts? Stopping in LA would be nice, as we have friends there..also Atlanta or Houston non-stop from FLL or PBIA is also OK..seat comfort is primary, as this will be a celebration for one couple , so they want good seats & amenities..I thought about Virgin America from FLL or Jet Blue, then from LAX to HNL, but what airline? Thanks!

You'll need to do some research on this because US airlines are rolling out true premium economy (as opposed to "economy plus" or some similar name for service that is NOT true premium economy) on a pretty haphazard (or so it looks) basis.

Fewer and fewer airlines are using wide-body planes to Hawaii from the mainland; they're less efficient than narrow body planes like 737s or various Airbus single-aisle planes. As far as I know (and I'm not certain, hence the suggestion you do some research) American offers "tue" PE on its DFW-HNL flights served with refurbished 767s; I'm not aware of others but there might be.

Virgin America is no more; the acquisition by Alaska is now complete and VX's last flights with their own flight numbers are/were this weekend.

West coast stopovers (as opposed to plane changes) will almost certainly add a cost to the ticket, probably $50 - $250 depending on the ticket details. Another reason to do your research starting now. (Try some "dummy" bookings and see what happens.)

You'll need to do some research on this because US airlines are rolling out true premium economy (as opposed to "economy plus" or some similar name for service that is NOT true premium economy) on a pretty haphazard (or so it looks) basis.

Fewer and fewer airlines are using wide-body planes to Hawaii from the mainland; they're less efficient than narrow body planes like 737s or various Airbus single-aisle planes. As far as I know (and I'm not certain, hence the suggestion you do some research) American offers "tue" PE on its DFW-HNL flights served with refurbished 767s; I'm not aware of others but there might be.

Virgin America is no more; the acquisition by Alaska is now complete and VX's last flights with their own flight numbers are/were this weekend.

West coast stopovers (as opposed to plane changes) will almost certainly add a cost to the ticket, probably $50 - $250 depending on the ticket details. Another reason to do your research starting now. (Try some "dummy" bookings and see what happens.)

Didn't know about Virgin...I will check all..BTW, which "US Airlines are rolling out"? American? Thanks!

Didn't know about Virgin...I will check all..BTW, which "US Airlines are rolling out"? American? Thanks!
American, United and Delta, but only on some planes and only on some routes. Most are targeted for transatlantic vs. domestic services, where "true" PE has been available from foreign carriers for quite some time.

But don't rule out looking for first class or business class deals (the name will depend on the airline, but same thing - sitting up front.) These can be surprisingly affordable from time to time. Use the month-long feature on ITA - http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ - for this.

some want to fly Premium Economy. I hear Southwest is starting Hawaii service maybe this September, which should make pricing more competitive.

It might make coach tickets more competitive, but since Southwest offers nothing but coach (no first or business class, no premium economy, and no economy+/comfort+) I wouldn't expect these higher fare categories on other airlines to see much, if any, price reduction as a result of the Southwest service.

And as far as the ones wanting to fly PE, make sure they understand the difference between true PE, and the economy plus/comfort plus products offered by some airlines. There is a BIG difference between the two, but unfortunately a lot of people don't realize that.

And as far as the ones wanting to fly PE, make sure they understand the difference between true PE, and the economy plus/comfort plus products offered by some airlines. There is a BIG difference between the two, but unfortunately a lot of people don't realize that.

Reinforcing, one more time.....Caveat Emptor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawaiian Airlines still flies wide body aircraft (A330 & 767) to Hawaii from several West coast cities. Although they plan to incorporate the A321neo into the fleet in the coming years, most flights are still serviced by the larger, two aisle aircraft. Perhaps take a look at their partners to see if HA would be an option with a connection from Florida:

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2632

Hawaiian Airlines still flies wide body aircraft (A330 & 767) to Hawaii from several West coast cities. Although they plan to incorporate the A321neo into the fleet in the coming years, most flights are still serviced by the larger, two aisle aircraft. Perhaps take a look at their partners to see if HA would be an option with a connection from Florida:

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2632

Thanks, will do..