Transportation to Acadia in May BEFORE Island Explorer is available

kanobette

I'll be making an early season visit to Bar Harbor on May 18th. From what I can see the Island Explorer doesn't start up till June. What are my options for getting to Acadia. I don't want to do the trolley tour as there is so little time to explore the park on foot.

Since Island Explorer starts in June and you don't want to tour by trolley/bus, your options are limited. Hire a taxi/van, or rent bikes are the only way to tour that I can quickly think of. Would you do a tour by airplane???

Would you tour by trolley if the stops were longer????

SBtS

I'd really only want to do the trolley if the weather is awful. Otherwise those four 15-20 minute stops don't really cut it to enjoy walking the park and a seeing a different landscape than I have here in Texas.

Probably taxi is going to be best to be dropped off near a trail head and then arrange a pick up time to get back.

I'd really only want to do the trolley if the weather is awful. Otherwise those four 15-20 minute stops don't really cut it to enjoy walking the park and a seeing a different landscape than I have here in Texas.

Probably taxi is going to be best to be dropped off near a trail head and then arrange a pick up time to get back.

I agree with using a taxi. The only suggestion I have is that the trail begins and ends close to a road that a taxi can reach. You don't want the trail to end then retrace your steps to get to the pickup point. List of hiking trails - https://acadiamagic.com/acadia-hiking-trails.html

If you are not an experienced hiker than you could consider hiking the Carriage Roads. The advice would be the same for the beginning and end of a CR. CR map - https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/upload/crummap.pdf

SBtS