QM2 Oceanview or Obsructed Balcony

Minnie29

About to book

Our first cruise on QM2 in Europe and would like any comments on whether we should book an Oceanview cabin on Deck 4 or an obstructed Balcony on Deck 5.

The Oceanview cabins seem a little larger looking at the Deck plans?

Thank you

The ocean view cabins right at the front (bow) only have a porthole, which is above the bed if you have a double, if you have it as a twin it is quite high to see out of. There are a few further back with larger windows. I have been in both sorts and would happy book one again. If I could afford an obstructed view balcony, I would go for one of those. The deck plan gives you a pretty good idea of where the lifeboats really are, so try for a cabin that looks like it's in a gap and you would be ok.

Oceanview cabins (particularly the deck 4-5-6 cabins closest to the balcony cabins on the same deck) have slightly larger interior volume than the nearby balcony cabins, because the area occupied by the sheltered balcony is instead part of the interior volume of the room. But note that square footage numbers in Cunard literature for balcony cabins includes the balcony area.

• 2 weeks later...
I was able to access the Cunard FAQ and I’m in the US.

Interesting. Just to make sure we are talking about the same issue, are you saying when you follow this link from within the US to the page for "What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Mary 2?" on the UK FAQ site

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/qm2_obs

that you actually see this page?

2026268527_CunardUKFAQ.thumb.jpg.43ecc01f7e60e33db4885a567b466163.jpg

When I try to follow that link from the US (or any other link to a page on the UK FAQ site "ask.cunard.com"), it takes me to this home page for Cunard's US FAQ site ("www.cunard.com/frequent-questions/faq/") instead.

1590384546_CunardUSFAQ.thumb.jpg.fe12881431f2dda1c8591d530b91b31e.jpg

And unfortunately there is nothing I can find showing the views from the obstructed view balconies on Cunard's US FAQ site.

Interesting. Just to make sure we are talking about the same issue, are you saying when you follow this link from within the US to the page for "What do the obstructed views look like on Queen Mary 2?" on the UK FAQ site

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/qm2_obs

that you actually see this page?

[ATTACH]421315[/ATTACH]

When I try to follow that link from the US (or any other link to a page on the UK FAQ site "ask.cunard.com"), it takes me to this home page for Cunard's US FAQ site ("www.cunard.com/frequent-questions/faq/") instead.

[ATTACH]421316[/ATTACH]

And unfortunately there is nothing I can find showing the views from the obstructed view balconies on Cunard's US FAQ site.

Ahhh! I see what you are saying now. It’s apples and oranges. I have a generic FAQ page, not specific to obstructed balconies.

From the earlier posts, I was expecting to get a 404 error or a website not found error message.

Sorry. My misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ahhh! I see what you are saying now. It’s apples and oranges. I have a generic FAQ page, not specific to obstructed balconies.

From the earlier posts, I was expecting to get a 404 error or a website not found error message.

Sorry. My misunderstanding.

Thanks for the follow-up. I was hoping that perhaps Cunard had corrected the issue and I had somehow missed the work-around (other than using a VPN to pretend I am in the UK). When I asked about this in the recent Q&A with Angus Struthers, this was the reply (partial quote).

"In terms of the FAQ section, i will check with our digital teams and find out how to access the information from the US as it should be accessible."

Hope springs eternal.