Uniworld cancels gentle walker program without notice or notification

commonloon

One of our absolute requirements when selecting a river cruise company is that gentle walking options be available when appropriate. We're not expecting this for every excursion but enough to make the cruise worthwhile. We are currently on the Danube to Prague cruise which we booked and paid for last fall. The Uniworld brochure states that gentle walker options are available (as they have been for our previous cruises with Uniworld). Imagine our total surprise when AFTER we board the ship, that we are told that Uniworld no longer offers this option. Apparently they announced this to cruise directors in late February. Unfortunately, they didn't let us, the paying customer know. If gentle walker options are a requirement for you too and you have booked a cruise for 2018, I suggest you contact Uniworld immediately to see what options are available to you .

Wow that is quite a change - and not for the better - that will impact thousands of Uniworld cruisers. The beauty of river cruising is that you get off your ship in town and walk around (not get in a van or bus and drive for miles as with many ocean cruise excursions). Uniworld better change their publicity to excursions for the able bodied only!

I would never have been able to do our Grand France (Seine and Rhone River cruises) in 2016. I was fine when we reserved 9 months early but by the time the cruises arrived I was having leg pains so severe I used a cane (diagnosed later as needing both hips replaced which is what I did in the summer of 2017). That just goes to show that one can't necessarily predict whether you will need the gentle walker option in advance. The gentle walking tours (and there was one in every port) were a godsend and very well attended with anywhere from 10 to 16 passengers on each tour.

There are plenty of other river cruises that offer gentle walking options. I guess we will have to look elsewhere because, even though I am back to easily walking 2 miles a day without a cane, I wouldn't want to risk have my entire trip upended by being forced to stay on the ship or just wander the towns on my own if something happens again between making my reservation and embarking on the cruise.

Added - I just remembered that my brother, sister-in-law, and her 85 year old mom (our normal river cruise travel companions) will be on a Uniworld Amsterdam to Basel cruise at the end of the month. I'll ask them to keep an eye out for what is said (or not said) about the gentle walkers touring option. Luckily they are all in great shape and, barring any troubles in the next 3 weeks, should be fine with the regular walking tours.

Unfortunately for those people that participated in the Gentle Walker group this is not good news. I wonder whether other lines will follow suit. I think that Uniworld is trying to go after the more active passengers. River cruising may be changing. Whether it is positive or negative depends on your interests. I do hope that Uniworld will offer some special alternatives to people that have mobility issues.

Even if it is not officially Gentle Walkers.

Elyce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is very unfortunate. I'm able to do the more active excursions, but I'm not getting any younger :p , and the time may come when I want or need to transition to the Gentle Walkers group.

This really surprises me, because Uniworld is one of the pricier river cruise lines, and for that reason tends to attract an older demographic with the time and financial resources to travel to Europe, Asia, Egypt, etc. and pay for a premium experience. I wonder if the whole line is going to convert over to U by Uniworld eventually.

Roz

If this is true it is bad news for everyone. I am still able bodied and it is nice to be able to go faster than the slowest person on the boat, but like the rest of us I'm not getting any younger. With multiple walking groups on the boat it seems crazy to not have faster and slower groups. Seems like a no-cost no-brainer solution.

I just got back from a trip and there is no mention of their doing away with “gentle walkers”. Are you sure this is happening?

There is no mention anywhere of doing away with the gentle walker program either on the internet or in their paper material. That is partly why I thought I should Inform others. The latest print versions of their tours and services here in my room on the ship, the program is not mentioned at all i.e. it has been omitted from their literature although it still does appear on the internet. .

It first arose here on the ship after I arrived when I asked which included tours would have this option so that my husband and I could plan our week. That was when our cruise director said she was informed at the end of February 2018 that none would be offered even for previously booked trips (ours was booked at the end of September 2017). I immediately wrote an email to Uniworld stating that I had booked based on their advertising and my past experience, that I had paid for a particular set of services, that I had informed them on the registration/information form that gentle walker services were required, and that I shouldn't have to pay for services I wasn't getting. And that I should get a partial refund.

Uniworld has replied to my email and the ff sentence is included in that email:

"I’m very sorry for the disappointment caused by the decision to cancel the Gentle Walking excursions program."

Our cruise director is working to provide what she can at Uniworld's direction but there are a number of passengers on this cruise who angry as well.

A couple of days ago I received Uniworld's big new beautiful 2019 catalog. I just searched it for any mention of the gentle walkers program and found none. Hmmm.......

Roz

My DH and I returned from the Amsterdam to Basel with Moselle on Wednesday and we were informed on board that there was no longer the Gentle Walkers option. He even said that the name could not be used. BUT instead he gave us a "mystery" group for those that liked to go slower. By the end of the cruise the Gentle Walkers name was being used again. It was very helpful for the handful of passengers awaiting hip or knee surgery.

My husband and I are going on this trip on June 18th. We hope you enjoyed your cruise. I would appreciate any information you would like to pass along.

Elyce

Looks like the bean counters may be at work. That would suck if they were going to combine the fast and gentle walkers together to save money.
I don’t even understand how this saves money. Boats have a number of walking groups (4, 6, ?). Let one group be “gentle”; problem solved at zero cost. What am I missing here? Seems like the home office solved a problem that didn’t exist. They need to told that they are being stupid.

I don’t even understand how this saves money. Boats have a number of walking groups (4, 6, ?). Let one group be “gentle”; problem solved at zero cost. What am I missing here? Seems like the home office solved a problem that didn’t exist. They need to told that they are being stupid.

Maybe they decided there weren't enough people choosing the gentle walkers group to cover the cost of an additional tour guide. Very shortsighted on their part; I think it will cost them business. It does seem that they are more interested in attracting a younger demographic. The OP is rightly angry that they were promised an experience that wasn't delivered. I hope they receive a lot of complaints and change their policy.

Looks like the bean counters may be at work. That would suck if they were going to combine the fast and gentle walkers together to save money.[/quo

Sure would. Combine a fast walker group with a people struggling to catch up and nobody would enjoy it.

Interesting ... they still had it on our recent cruise in Provence in April.

The gentle walkers were perhaps about 6-10 and they had their own tour guide and number. Perhaps it's a cost cutting exercise so they can avoid hiring so many guides? I'm hopeful that they will realise soon enough not everyone can keep pace and/or there will always be a vocal person who complains

After a tour in Passau, two years ago, our guide joined a few of us for a beer. He told us they were paid $60-$90 per tour, depending on the duration. Really budget dust.

Perhaps, with their being more traffic on the river, it's getting harder to find enough guides? And it seems this may be itinerary dependent.

Robin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Gentle walking groups do cost more if you consider sometimes special transportation is provided when walking up steps or Hills is necessary. Or walking long distances. I think that Uniworld is trying to change their demographic and no gentle walker groups will discourage those who need them from signing up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know this thread is centered around Uniworld and the Gentle Walker groups. I wonder what is the position of the other riverboat lines- AMA , Viking, and others on this subject .

Maybe Gentle Walkers doesn't sound hip and trendy.

Roz

Sent from my LGL58VL using Forums mobile app

This was our thought as well. I think Uniworld is really trying to focus on bringing river cruising to a new demographic. Hopefully they won't alienate another group of loyal cruisers in the meantime!

Our tour guide arranged for a gentle walker group for us today in Passau despite the cancellation of the program. There were 2 groups on the bus with 46-48 guests. 20 were in the gentle walker group. Not a minor number from my point of view (which admittedly may be a little biassed.)

re appealing to a new demographic. U by Uniworld initially had a maximum age limit set at 45 years of age. This maximum was removed before the first sailing according to news reports. Perhaps they're choosing the wrong demographic for this type of travel?

My husband and I are going on this trip on June 18th. We hope you enjoyed your cruise. I would appreciate any information you would like to pass along.

Elyce

I'll be posting a review of the cruise including the refurbished SS Beatrice once I get home in a week or so.

In April, AMA staff was bending over backwards to provide maximum service to a wide variety of patrons, including those with mobility issues. I have never seen so many wheelchairs and walkers on one ship before. Staff carried bicycles and wheelchairs over two rafted ships in Antwerp. However, crossing the rafted ships themselves still is an obstacle for some. Busses were shared by gentle and regular walkers but the groups had separate tours and guides. When selecting tour groups we needed to be sure we selected the group appropriate for us. They were clearly marked by AMA.

AMA's service was amazing! Gold stars to AMA.

Our tour guide arranged for a gentle walker group for us today in Passau despite the cancellation of the program. There were 2 groups on the bus with 46-48 guests. 20 were in the gentle walker group. Not a minor number from my point of view (which admittedly may be a little biassed.)

re appealing to a new demographic. U by Uniworld initially had a maximum age limit set at 45 years of age. This maximum was removed before the first sailing according to news reports. Perhaps they're choosing the wrong demographic for this type of travel?

Sounds like Uniworld is going thru an identity crisis. In one of the threads about U I mentioned that people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s are paying off student loans, buying homes, having children, etc. and don't have the disposable income to travel on a line like Uniworld. They also take different types of vacations - the beach, camping, Disneyworld, etc. I was told there are lots of trust fund kids, 2-income professional couples (doctors, dentists, attorneys) and others of that ilk that have the time and money to river cruise. I obviously travel in different social and economic circles. :cool:

The number of gentle walkers is going to vary from cruise to cruise and can't be predicted in advance, but it does make for a more enhanced cruise experience. I thought that was what Uniworld is all about. Apparently not. It seems like a small thing but says a lot about the direction they're taking.

Roz