6.5 hour layover in LHR with British Airways business class. 1st time in London.

wizdiz

I am flying to MIA via CPG and have a 6.5-hour layover in London. So do I risk leaving the airport for a couple hours? Or do I since never had lounge access explore the airport and visit a few different lounges? I heard with British Airways business class I will get many lounge access. Is there a good way to kill 7 hours in the airport? Or is it worth risking leaving for a quick tour? I guess this is my flight going home so if I were to miss a flight this would be the flight to miss.

The BA business class lounges are nice, especially in Terminal 5, which is all BA. There are also lots of nice shops there. 6.5 hours is not really enough time to get you anywhere and back. You’d have to be back at the airport 3 hours before your flight, so effectively 3 hours max, and there’s nothing to see around the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You also can't sample lounges in other parts of the airport; they're all inside security and you need to have a boarding pass for a flight that departs from the particular terminal in order to use the lounges in that terminal. It's not like other airports where all the gates are connected by some central terminal.

That's okay, though. There are three separate business class lounges in Terminal 5, so you can pick and choose.

PS CPG is a tiny airport in South America. Do you mean you're flying from Copenhagen (CPH) to Miami via London, or vice-versa, or something else?

Are you in Business Class from LHR to CPH? Lounge access is based on your departure ticket, not on your arrival ticket.

Either way, I agree. 6 1/2 hours is not enough time to leave the airport, do a drive by in London, and then get back to the airport.

If it's your first time at Terminal 5 in London, you'll find the place fascinating. Great place to walk around, see a new and interesting culture and to just sit and people watch. The BA Business Lounge is also a great place to people watch.

Are you in Business Class from LHR to CPH? Lounge access is based on your departure ticket, not on your arrival ticket.

Either way, I agree. 6 1/2 hours is not enough time to leave the airport, do a drive by in London, and then get back to the airport.

If it's your first time at Terminal 5 in London, you'll find the place fascinating. Great place to walk around, see a new and interesting culture and to just sit and people watch. The BA Business Lounge is also a great place to people watch.

I'm first class / business class the entire way from Mia to lhr to cph and back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm first class / business class the entire way from Mia to lhr to cph and back

Business class and First class are different.

You mentioned *Business* class before (and in title).

IF you are actually in First Class, then there is a totally different First Class Lounge in LHR, and it is *very* nice.

It's one of the nicest airport lounges we've been in.

(But apparently some people feel differently. It's very comfortable, with cushy easy chairs and sofas, not with "modern" furniture, which we don't care for.)

We'll try to connect in LHR again, because of that F lounge, if there's ever a need for a long connection.

Since you've never been to London before, it's too bad you couldn't force a loooong connection so that you could have had a quick tour.

GC

Business class and First class are different.

You mentioned *Business* class before (and in title).

IF you are actually in First Class, then there is a totally different First Class Lounge in LHR, and it is *very* nice.

It's one of the nicest airport lounges we've been in.

(But apparently some people feel differently. It's very comfortable, with cushy easy chairs and sofas, not with "modern" furniture, which we don't care for.)

We'll try to connect in LHR again, because of that F lounge, if there's ever a need for a long connection.

Since you've never been to London before, it's too bad you couldn't force a loooong connection so that you could have had a quick tour.

GC

I opened this post mainly for my 6.5 hour return layover and on the way home I'm only business class. But on my way I fly 1st class mia to bos and then business class from Boston to lhr. I do have a 4 hour layover that time. Are you saying I will be able to go in better lounges going?

I opened this post mainly for my 6.5 hour return layover and on the way home I'm only business class. But on my way I fly 1st class mia to bos and then business class from Boston to lhr. I do have a 4 hour layover that time. Are you saying I will be able to go in better lounges going?

No

At LHR and JFK and maybe 1 or 2 other airports, British Airways has The Concord Lounge for the high elites and the First Class customers.

Then they have a separate lounge for lower tier elites and World Class/Business Class/Euro Class customers.

You’re only eligible for their business class Lounge.

Go to youtube and check them out.

You will likely arrive at LHR from CPH at terminal 5 and depart out of terminal 3. That means if you decide to stay in the airport, you will take a bus after you land and then be in terminal 3 for about 5 hours. There are four lounges you can visit in T3 — Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Qantas, and American. Cathay is the best. But you will have time to visit them all if you like.

If you want to go into the city, you would go through immigration from terminal 5 as though you were an arriving passenger. The Heathrow Express leaves directly from under the T5 arrivals hall. If all goes well, you would be in London in about a 1:15 to 2 hours. Check departures before you leave the airport to confirm your terminal for your flight back to the states. It should be terminal 3. So, you would take the express back but get off at T3 when you return to the airport. You would get about 2 hours if your flight from CPH is on time.

The express takes you to Paddington station. Not really directly to the major sights so it might not be worth it, but maybe look at a map and see if you could come up with a good walk.

I agree with Regguy, and would add only a few things.

First, I would not try going in to London. I think you'd be lucky to get two hours in central London if you're going to leave a safe margin for getting back to LHR for your flight to MIA. It's simply not worth the effort. Come to London for London's sake some other time.

I think it's almost inconceivable that the LHR-MIA flight will not depart from T3. Even if it's a codeshare on an AA-operated flight, it will depart from T3! (BA207 and BA209 are the BA-operated flights; BA1526 and BA1528 are the AA-operated flights.)

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with going into the AA lounge.

One thing about the BA lounge is that there is an Elemis spa there where you can get a short spa treatment (complimentary, no tipping required or expected). You just need to go on the day to book a slot - subject to availability, of course. As you have a long connection time, this should improve your chances of getting one.

The CX lounge has noodles and dim sum; and the QF bar has lots of gin. I do not encourage anyone to construct national stereotypes from these facts. ;)

But on my way I fly 1st class mia to bos and then business class from Boston to lhr. I do have a 4 hour layover that time. Are you saying I will be able to go in better lounges going?
I'm pretty sure that the domestic first sector wouldn't qualify to get you in to a first class lounge. In any case, I'm not sure whether AA has a first class (ie Flagship) lounge at BOS, nor am I sure whether the new BA lounge at BOS (which, by all accounts, is rather nice) has a separate section for those who are entitled to use a first class lounge anyway - so you're probably not missing out at that point.

Are you immediately connecting from LHR to CPH, or does your journey end at LHR?

If your journey ends at LHR, and if you are flying BA from BOS to LHR, then on arrival at LHR you will be entitled to use BA's Arrivals Lounge - providing you are on a flight that arrives before about 12.30 pm or so (because the lounge closes at 2.00 pm). As you arrive at T5, it's one floor up from the exit to Customs (and pretty much directly overhead that exit). You need to go slightly to your left as you enter the meet and greet area and use the closest lifts to go up one floor. You can get a shower, a good breakfast (until about 12.30 pm) and a spa treatment (it's often slightly easier to get a slot in the Arrivals Lounge than in any of the departures lounge spas).

There's a similar arrangement at T3 if you're in business class on AA from BOS to LHR.

If you're simply connecting at LHR to CPH, then you'll entitled to use the business class departures lounges in T5. There are three of these: one at the north end of the main terminal building on the same level as security; one at the south end of the main building in the complex that is entered from gate/shopping level (ie one floor down from security), and then you need to go up two floors to the business class lounge; and one in the satellite housing the B gates. I would recommend only going to the T5B lounge if you are told that your flight will depart from a B gate, as it is a little more difficult and complicated to get to any A gate or any C gate from that lounge.

If you're connecting to CPH, you are in theory entitled to use the Arrivals Lounge anyway, but there is unlikely to be any good reason for trying to do so.

All this travel was booked via AA reward points on AA's website.

Here are my flights.

Going

AA mia -Bos First class

BA Bos-LHR Business Class

BA LHR-CPH Business Class

They are all right after each other with a 4hour layover in LHR

Return

BA CPH - LHR Business Class

BA LHR - MIA Business Class

Right after each other but 6.5hour layover in LHR

I really appreciate all the feedback

I also just checked and going I arrive and depart LHR terminal 5

Returning I arrive terminal 5 and depart terminal 3

Edited by wizdiz

In MIA you will have access to the AA Admirals Club but not the flagship lounge.

In BOS you will have access to the new BA lounge. It is supposed to be pretty nice.

In LHR you will have access to the BA Galleries lounge.

Going home you will have access to the lounge that BA contracts with at CPH.

At LHR as noted you will have access to the one world lounges on the business class sides. CX is my favorite if it’s not crowded.

In MIA you will have access to the AA Admirals Club but not the Flagship Lounge.

I believe this is incorrect.

As of last Spring Flagship Lounge rules now permit long haul business class travelers and the same day long haul BOS-LHR in business class should qualify. Just be sure to show both the MIA-BOS and BOS-LHR boarding passes when you enter the lounge.

MIA-BOS in FC in its own right doesn't permit any lounge access.

Thanks. Guess will make the best of things and spend my time exploring lounges and the different shops of the AirPort.

Time will go by fast.

There is a good chance that one of those BA lounges (especially the one with spa) also has showers. If that it the case, it is a nice opportunity to get a shower after your flight.

I believe this is incorrect.

As of last Spring Flagship Lounge rules now permit long haul business class travelers and the same day long haul BOS-LHR in business class should qualify. Just be sure to show both the MIA-BOS and BOS-LHR boarding passes when you enter the lounge.

MIA-BOS in FC in its own right doesn't permit any lounge access.

Oh yeah, that’s right. Get to MIA a bit early!

It also appears that flagship eligible flyers get access to the AA first lounge in LHR while they are working on building the flagship lounge. Might get some pushback from the attendant but it might be worth trying to check,out during the long T3 layover.

Oh yeah, that’s right. Get to MIA a bit early!

I plan to. I guess old-fashioned as I always like 3 hours at the airport for international flight. As this is my first ever first class / business class experience I guess will have plenty of time to take advantage of it. I have read that there are time limits at the lounge? I have read confusing information on these lounges. Some sound like they serve a complete good meal. Some make it sound like there are snacks. So if they serve meals in the lounges would they be better then what would be on the plane and worth eating in lounge instead of the meal on the flight? I'm not that huge of an eater that would be able to eat a ton of meals.

I plan to. I guess old-fashioned as I always like 3 hours at the airport for international flight. As this is my first ever first class / business class experience I guess will have plenty of time to take advantage of it. I have read that there are time limits at the lounge? I have read confusing information on these lounges. Some sound like they serve a complete good meal. Some make it sound like there are snacks. So if they serve meals in the lounges would they be better then what would be on the plane and worth eating in lounge instead of the meal on the flight? I'm not that huge of an eater that would be able to eat a ton of meals.

The lounges that you have access to don’t serve “meals”. The will have buffet style salads, maybe a soup, some bread, sandwich meats, cheeses, etc.

Again, go to http://www.youtube.com

And just type in something like BA Business class BOS -LHR

There will be 100 different videos showing the service in the lounges, the food selections, the seats and services on your flight.

Order a cab and let it take you to Windsor Castle (30 mins). The Queen's favourite home and where the Wedding will be next week. You could spend a good few hours there and make it back in time for your next flight. Maybe a little river trip along the Thames too.

Don't attempt London, far too much traffic to ensure you will get back in time.

https://www.windsor.gov.uk/

The lounges that you have access to don’t serve “meals”. The will have buffet style salads, maybe a soup, some bread, sandwich meats, cheeses, etc..

The Galleries lounges in Terminal 5 do serve some hot meals, depending on the time of day, such as pasta etc, but nowhere near as nice as the business class meal on the plane.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a good chance that one of those BA lounges (especially the one with spa) also has showers. If that it the case, it is a nice opportunity to get a shower after your flight.
At LHR, I think that every lounge that the OP could access has showers.

The BA lounge does have hot food, but it’s not amazing. Business class food on the plane will be better than the food in the lounge.
There is one honourable exception: The T5 Arrivals Lounge's breakfast is much better than anything served in business class on the aircraft, and I think better than the breakfast to be had in the business class lounge. BOS-LHR and LHR-CPH are both in T5. So as the OP has the luxury of 4 hours between flights in this direction too, I think that that is the one possible reason why it might be worth going landside to the Arrivals Lounge. Especially as the on-board breakfast on BOS-LHR is likely to be pretty meagre.