Need help picking an insurance policy

I have read reviews on insurance companies for cruise insurance and everyone says to read fine print, well when I X'd off my needs 40 policies come up and I really don't think I have the mind capability to read all 40. Our last year has been rough and my mind is not with it. I am hoping for advice from someone who purchased insurance for similar reasons so I can lessen my options.

My daughter was diagnosed with cancer 14 months ago. She is now on an oral cancer pill for life. We go for scans every 2 months and never know what the results will be. I also have a 90 year old mom with health issues and a Type 1 Diabetic with his diabetes under control. I have checked off the boxes for Pre-existing Condition Waiver, Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption. Should I also check off Cancel for any reason? If so, this only gives me 1 option at a cost of $648. If I don't, there are 40 options. Any ideas on how to weed the options down? Insurance policies to avoid?

Thank you for any opinions.

Edited by disneylover89

First of all, are all members of the traveling party currently right this very moment "fit and able to travel"? In other words, does the Dr. say that all members of the party can get on a plane and hit the beach today? Not a matter of "not today but by the time the cruise comes around, they should be".

If so, then you're good to go. If not, then you can't get travel insurance for them. All covered persons MUST be "fit for travel" on the day the insurance is purchased.

Point 2. You definitely want waiver of pre-existing conditions. This is a must to protect you against unforeseen medical events for non traveling family members. However, to get this coverage you are on a timeframe limit to buy and most policies require that you cover the entire trip to validate this coverage.

Cancel For Any Reason - I don't see where this is a must but is a nice "cover your butt" type of thing. Then again, insurance companies take your money betting that nothing will happen. While you buy insurance hoping that nothing happens. Insurance companies win at the long con of this game.

Also note that CFAR only returns anywhere from 50% to 90% of travel costs depending on the company.

First of all, are all members of the traveling party currently right this very moment "fit and able to travel"? In other words, does the Dr. say that all members of the party can get on a plane and hit the beach today? Not a matter of "not today but by the time the cruise comes around, they should be".

If so, then you're good to go. If not, then you can't get travel insurance for them. All covered persons MUST be "fit for travel" on the day the insurance is purchased.

Point 2. You definitely want waiver of pre-existing conditions. This is a must to protect you against unforeseen medical events for non traveling family members. However, to get this coverage you are on a timeframe limit to buy and most policies require that you cover the entire trip to validate this coverage.

Cancel For Any Reason - I don't see where this is a must but is a nice "cover your butt" type of thing. Then again, insurance companies take your money betting that nothing will happen. While you buy insurance hoping that nothing happens. Insurance companies win at the long con of this game.

Also note that CFAR only returns anywhere from 50% to 90% of travel costs depending on the company.

Thank you! I will stay away from CFAR.

Yes, as of today, we are all able and fit to travel. Cancer drug is working.:D

You might want to call the people at tripinsurancestore.com. I've found they can be pretty helpful at giving advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This (calling TripInsuranceStore or another insurance broker) is often suggested, and in our mind it's critical NOT to rely upon the online summaries of policies.

TALK with someone knowledgeable.

There is no cost to discussing your needs with them, and the insurer pays the commission (you don't).

GC

Advice to consult an expert is wise. Bear in mind, though, that many if not most of the policies that cover pre-existing conditions have to be purchased within a specific time of making your cruise deposit. Often that period is 14 days.

One important consideration that's not always easy to gauge upfront is how well a company might come through in the event you have a claim. For what it's worth: A couple of years ago we had a medical emergency during a trip that necessitated a very large claim with Travel Guard. They performed beautifully, not only promptly paying everything they were supposed to but also making many arrangements on our behalf that would have been difficult for us to manage ourselves.

TG is not always the most economical policy available, but we always go back to them on the basis of the outstanding service we experienced.

• 1 month later...
This (calling TripInsuranceStore or another insurance broker) is often suggested, and in our mind it's critical NOT to rely upon the online summaries of policies.

TALK with someone knowledgeable.

There is no cost to discussing your needs with them, and the insurer pays the commission (you don't).

GC

Why? The full terms of policy coverages are clearly stated online - at least where I get my insurance at insuremytrip.com. I've never spoken to an actual agent prior to choosing and buying a trip policy nor would I feel a need to. Insurance is insurance. Terms are pretty self explanatory.

For the OP - I've always bought CSA custom luxe policy through insuremytrip.com, but recently the company name changed to Generali Global - no change in policy coverages. Their "premium" is the same as the custom luxe. I really like them cause they provide high medical coverage - especially medical evac. ($1 million)

Why? The full terms of policy coverages are clearly stated online . . .

Mostly agree, but not always what happens IRL. I recently had to contact TG for clarification of some "exclusion" wording in their Gold policy that appeared to conflict with the policy itself that I could not sort out on my own. I emailed them so there would be a "paper" (I guess now it would be called "digital") trail of the answer.

I've worked with several trip insurance settlements over the years for myself, family and friends. They were all prompt and responsive fairly settling claims in return for my prompt filing of claims and receipts. I don't have a favorite company. I just buy the policy that offers the best value for the coverage I want.

I use insuremytrip.com to identify all the policies that include preexisting condition coverage (like the OPs 40 policies). I start with the cheapeat policies, checking medical and evacuation coverage amounts. When I find the cheapest 2 or 3 policies with good high med/evac payout, I compare their other coverages like Primary coverage, transport to hospital of MY choice, no deductibles, etc.

From that I decide on the policy that provides ME with the best value of coverage vs cost. That's the policy I actually read to verify the policy says what the insuremytrip.com comparison did. Any questions I call the insurance company, requiring a source for the answer actually in the policy.

I then buy that policy from insuremytrip.com. I again read that policy when I get confirmation.

I don't bother with the most expensive policies if I can find what I need from one of the cheapest policies.