Alaskan Prime off to less than stellar start

Newbie to Regent having most cruises on Silversea. Less than disappointing start and haven’t even boarded. Arrived SFO met by very nice greeters, collected luggage then waited an hour for SUV to pick us up. OK no big deal we are on vacation. Arrive at Fairmont Hotel to check in. Strange look from desk clerk. In a few front desk manager arrives to advise that in spite of the fact that you and many other Regent cruisers paid to stay at luxury hotel, not going to happen. You lucky people are going to stay down the block at the Stanford Court, a 2* hotel on its best day, a dump any other. But don’t worry says the manager, I will hopefully find someone to help schlep your luggage. REALLY??? Protests to hotel staff and to Regent’s contracted shore staff to no avail. Will make my total disappointment known on ship and to corporate. Very poor early execution.

If this had happened to us I would throw a fit. This is not right and certainly not a six star experience. Hopefully the Regent onboard experience will help but I would complain.

Give us updates please.

While I don't believe in throwing a fit, I do think that Regent corporate (not the onboard staff as they have nothing to do with pre-cruise arrangements) should be notified ASAP (tomorrow). In fact, I would write directly to Jason Montague so that he can insure that the right manager reads your email.

Not that this is any consolation, I have not heard of this happening before and feel that the hotel may be losing a contract with Regent over this.

omg — so sorry that happened. Do press the issue with Regent: I can't imagine what the excuse will be. Someone must not have been overseeing things. How could "greeters" have put you on a bus to a hotel which didn't have you noted as guests? I guess maybe that Regent has nothing to do with greeters? Just a company they hire to provide the service? But, really....

I do very much hope that the rest of your first Regent experience goes well. We've very much enjoyed the cruise line.

If we were reduced to a two star hotel from a four star we would absolutely be angry. Personally never had this happen but we don’t know about other people’s experiences who are not members of CC and most are not.

Did you utilize a Travel Agent? I would hope that the agent will fight your battle for you so that you can relax on your vacation to enjoy.

Agree to a point, IF the TA known to Regent and has a contact person (other than Customer Service). It would seem to take the same amount of time to send an email to your TA or to the President of Regent. I do not always recommend writing directly to Mr. Montague but this case should be brought to his attention sooner rather than later.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC???

Firstly "In fact, I would write directly to Jason Montague" then just 1 hour and 1 minute later "I do not recommend writing directly to Mr. Montague "

Which is it?

I added two words to my last post as it was indeed unclear. I do not recommend writing to Jason Montague for many things but in this case feel that it is warranted.

In general, as with anything, if someone complains about everything (as I see too often on these boards - not only Regent's board) - it can dilute the message.

Stanford Court has recently had a complete makeover in its prime spot on Nob Hill, the hotel has been awarded 2017 Conde Nast Readers choice. It may not be as steeped in history as the Fairmont but it is across the street. However I would be very upset to have this happen while starting a luxury cruise vacation.

JMARINER - not sure what calling Regent's emergency number will do at this point. Aren't they already on the ship (as of a couple of hours ago)? I would have called last night when the issue was occurring.

MalbecWine - if we did not use some Regent hotels, we would have missed out on two of the best hotels that we have stayed in. And, we have been able to try out different airlines -- not just ones that we are used to or have/had points on. Agree about Regent transportation (most of the time). We do book our own hotel and air domestically but tend to like Regent's choices (they have contracts with some top airlines).

I was under the impression that if you had a pre-cruise hotel stay, supplied by Regent, that you were notified in advance of travel, which hotel you are staying in.

Is this not the case, or is it different for oversea travellers who have a 'forced' overnight stay pre-cruise?

I too would not be happy with a change at the front desk, but would like to know the TS thoughts on the hotel after their stay and if they had any kind of answer from Regent over this.

I am new at this (not yet sailed with Regent), but I have travelled most of my life (retired airline). Likely what happened was that the Fairmont overbooked and had to "walk" the Regent guests. This isn't Regent's fault. Hotels tend to "walk" the guests paying the lowest rate for the rooms. Airline pilots often fall into this situation. More than once we'd show at our contracted hotel only to be "walked" to an "equivalent" hotel for our layover. Our airline wasn't even aware this was happening. Regent was likely unaware at any level of this inconvenience.

I know that this is not a good experience. But looking at Tripadvisor and other websites, the Stanford Court, as mentioned earlier, was completely renovated and is considered a "4 star" hotel. It is not quite the Fairmont, but hardly a "2 star" hotel. It is likely considered an "equivalent" hotel. But that "equivalency" is certainly in the eye of the beholder. I know I'd be disappointed too. But t seems the OP might be judging their Regent experience a bit harshly. Emailing Regent is absolute to let them know that the Fairmont has done this to their passengers. But if this happens to me, I don't think I'll let it cloud my Regent experience. Sometimes these things just happen. Let Regent know and they will likely take steps to prevent it from happening again.

Sometimes these things just happen. Let Regent know and they will likely take steps to prevent it from happening again.

A question....If these thing "just happen", then what could Regent do to prevent it from happening in the future? Apparently, the consensus seems to be that if it does "happen" to any of us, we're to just sit back and "take it"?

Customers are paying extra (to Regent) for upgraded suite packages (concierge?) in order to get an "included pre-cruise luxury hotel" benefit. They are told in advance exactly which "luxury hotel" has been selected for them (by Regent) and which "luxury hotel" they're going to be taken to by Regent's "included airport transfer" service. The hotel was selected by Regent and disclosed to the customer well before the trip began. They may have chosen a different cruise option if the selected/announced hotel was not to their liking.

Barring an event like the hotel burning to the ground the day before they arrive at the embarkation city, I think customers should have the reasonable "right" and expectation (admittedly, passengers don't seem to have too many "rights" anymore) to be accommodated in the specific promised hotel for the night, regardless of any economic advantage the hotel might potentially gain by giving that pre-promised room to a higher paying alternative (non-Regent) customer.

It is also reasonable to assume that the customer may have specifically chosen the "included" pre-cruise hotel benefit based specifically on the "promise/expectation" that they would be staying at the Fremont Hotel (the hotel they were told by Regent that they would be staying at) and not an alternative hotel (no matter what "class" it may be rated at) across the street or down the block....and the hotel that Regent's airport transfer service has taken them to! Just how many "unavoidable changes" are customer expected to simply "accept and roll with"?

With all due respect to Papaflamingo, I don't think his experience as a pilot (employee) of an airline is applicable or equivalent to the OP's situation. As an employee, the airline personnel are simply being provided a "lay-over" accommodation for the night by the airline before they proceed on their next-day's work. As employees, they are not "paying" for that room and they have no "say" or option over where they're being put up by the airline for the night. As employees, they are at the mercy of economics, their employer, and wherever a room happens to be available for the night. As a 38-year traveling employee of the federal government, I had to stay at whatever hotel or government quarters my employer told me to stay at.

I believe the conditions of the "luxury pre-night hotel accommodation" agreement between a paying customer and Regent is completely different.

A question....If these thing "just happen", then what could Regent do to prevent it from happening in the future? Apparently, the consensus seems to be that if it does "happen" to any of us, we're to just sit back and "take it"?

Customers are paying extra (to Regent) for upgraded suite packages (concierge?) in order to get an "included pre-cruise luxury hotel" benefit. They are told in advance exactly which "luxury hotel" has been selected for them (by Regent) and which "luxury hotel" they're going to be taken to by Regent's "included airport transfer" service. The hotel was selected by Regent and disclosed to the customer well before the trip began. They may have chosen a different cruise option if the selected/announced hotel was not to their liking.

Barring an event like the hotel burning to the ground the day before they arrive at the embarkation city, I think customers should have the reasonable "right" and expectation (admittedly, passengers don't seem to have too many "rights" anymore) to be accommodated in the specific promised hotel for the night, regardless of any economic advantage the hotel might potentially gain by giving that pre-promised room to a higher paying alternative (non-Regent) customer.

It is also reasonable to assume that the customer may have specifically chosen the "included" pre-cruise hotel benefit based specifically on the "promise/expectation" that they would be staying at the Fremont Hotel (the hotel they were told by Regent that they would be staying at) and not an alternative hotel (no matter what "class" it may be rated at) across the street or down the block....and the hotel that Regent's airport transfer service has taken them to! Just how many "unavoidable changes" are customer expected to simply "accept and roll with"?

With all due respect to Papaflamingo, I don't think his experience as a pilot (employee) of an airline is applicable or equivalent to the OP's situation. As an employee, the airline personnel are simply being provided a "lay-over" accommodation for the night by the airline before they proceed on their next-day's work. As employees, they are not "paying" for that room and they have no "say" or option over where they're being put up by the airline for the night. As employees, they are at the mercy of economics, their employer, and wherever a room happens to be available for the night. As a 38-year traveling employee of the federal government, I had to stay at whatever hotel or government quarters my employer told me to stay at.

I believe the conditions of the "luxury pre-night hotel accommodation" agreement between a paying customer and Regent is completely different.

Oh good grief! Obviously something went very wrong here but rather than complain endlessly, how bout just find out what the Blank blank blank happened. Ya stuff happens but it’s not worth having your trip ruined over it and getting an ulcer. JMHO

Oh good grief! Obviously something went very wrong here but rather than complain endlessly, how bout just find out what the Blank blank blank happened. Ya stuff happens but it’s not worth having your trip ruined over it and getting an ulcer. JMHO

Agree with you!

pingpong1 - we must be interpreting the posts differently as it seems that most posters did not suggest that anyone sit back and take it. Also, in my experience, Regents documents typically say that you will stay at xxxx Hotel or equivalent. The part about "or equivalent" has always been annoying since most of us need to let someone back home know exactly where we will be.

Although this has not happened to us in our 31 Regent cruises, if it did, I would find out what happened but would likely be tired and would spend the night at the hotel and figure it out the next day. I'm sure that it was disappointing and do believe that Regent should be contacted as I have indicated in previous posts.

TC - Respectfully, I don't believe that anything in my comment could be construed as not agreeing with you.

If I misconstrued your post, I apologize. I was mainly responding to one sentence "Apparently, the consensus seems to be that if it does "happen" to any of us, we're to just sit back and "take it"?"

This is why we book our own hotel and air, but that aside, it is not acceptable. I suspect the original hotel did overbook, but no excuse. You need to be calling your TA, if you have one who is very familiar with Regent, or if you don't, Regent directly. I doubt Regent had anything to do with it or even knowledge of it, so you need to let them know.

JMARINER - not sure what calling Regent's emergency number will do at this point. Aren't they already on the ship (as of a couple of hours ago)? I would have called last night when the issue was occurring.

Is the Original poster the only person reading my answer? Did you ever think that some other reader who might, in the future, be in a similar position and would want this information?

Additionally, I am one of those people who often uses the forum search function to try and find answer to my questions before I post and then have to wait, hopefully, for a reply. I hope that information that I post would be useful in the future to someone else who might do the same.

Does this sufficiently address your question?

J

618/45

(54/3)

This is why we book our own hotel and air, but that aside, it is not acceptable. I suspect the original hotel did overbook, but no excuse. You need to be calling your TA, if you have one who is very familiar with Regent, or if you don't, Regent directly. I doubt Regent had anything to do with it or even knowledge of it, so you need to let them know.

Rachel, we are with you we like to book our own air and hotel either through AMEX or with our TA and then you will have immediate follow up and or compensation. As with airlines, rooms are blocked and should not be resold.

This was done to me when attending a convention in Dallas and they walked me to a Holiday Inn versus the Hyatt and it was booked with AMEX and they nicely compensated me for the inconvenience. It should’ve never happened.

It's not like the Fairmont is exactly a true luxury hotel either. It's a large old fashioned structure with a hodgepodge of different room types and far less than true luxury service.