Taking your passport ashore?

Jota62

Hi everyone, I'm planning my second cruise and wondering what most people do with their passports when they go ashore. My last cruise was to Alaska so I didn't have to worry about this.

I'm sailing on carnival to the Bahamas (princess cay, Nassau, and Freeport). When I've traveled in other countries not in connection to a cruise I've carried a copy of my passport in a safe place, but I've left my actual passport back in a safe. We are planning on going to Atlantis for the day in Nassau so I'm wondering how most go about their passport at a water park. I've looked into a waterproof belt to hold money and documents, but yeah I'd hate to ruin my passport.

Do I need my passport or should I go ashore with just copies of them?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's a recent thread on the subject: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2600535

As you can see from the link, this is a subject that comes up frequently - often followed by a prolonged discussion thread with very little useful information past the first page.

How about - if a US Citizen can take the cruise without a passport [closed loop exception] then 99.44% of the time your passport will remain in the safe for the entire cruise.

Thanks so much for the info. I tried to do a search, but I wasn't finding that in my phone search. I appreciate the links and will read there.

Appreciate the help and pointing me in the right direction!

So I have a question (and it's sincere). As a long time (over 50 years) frequent International traveler I prefer to keep my Passport (and most of our valuables) locked securely in a hotel or cruise ship safe. We are well aware that many folks carry a photocopy of their main Passport page and will admit that we have even done that on occasion. But the big question is, Why? In most cases it is not an acceptable form of identification. If you lose your Passport, a copy will not act as a replacement is not necessary to get a replacement (if you know your name, and a few other personal details the State Dept folks can pull up your Passport records in seconds).

So again, I ask why do many of us make copies (I plead guilty) and carry them instead of the real thing.

Hank

I carry a copy because when I was younger I was advised to have copies just in case. I spent a summer in Russia and when I was stopped by police I'd often show a copy of it and if they wanted to see the real thing I'd hold it and not let them take it out of my hand. My friend didn't do this and ended up needing to pay $100 to get her passport back from the police. This was back in 2006 and outside of Moscow, who knows but having copies has helped me traveling in the past just to prove I had it. Again, I don't know how useful in the Bahamas, but in my travel in Eastern Europe I've showed a copy more than once and it's been accepted just to verify who I was in a quick check

So I have a question (and it's sincere). As a long time (over 50 years) frequent International traveler I prefer to keep my Passport (and most of our valuables) locked securely in a hotel or cruise ship safe. We are well aware that many folks carry a photocopy of their main Passport page and will admit that we have even done that on occasion. But the big question is, Why? In most cases it is not an acceptable form of identification. If you lose your Passport, a copy will not act as a replacement is not necessary to get a replacement (if you know your name, and a few other personal details the State Dept folks can pull up your Passport records in seconds).

So again, I ask why do many of us make copies (I plead guilty) and carry them instead of the real thing.

Hank

Probably because the State Department suggests it- "Make two copies of all your travel documents in case of emergency. Leave one copy with a trusted friend or relative at home and carry the other separately from your original documents. To help prevent theft, do not carry your passport in your back pocket, and keep it separate from your money." Now of course that doesn't explicitly say make a copy of the passport, but I do recall in days past that it did specify making a copy of the information page to facilitate getting a replacement. And to that end I just found this in the section regarding replacing a lost or stolen passport abroad (emphasis added):

"The following list identifies a number of documents/items you should take with you to the embassy/consulate. Even if you are unable to present all of the documents, the consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly.

Please provide:

• A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport)
  • Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)
  • Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)
  • Police Report, if available
  • DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)
  • DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application)"

OP, as for taking ashore, leaving onboard I found this on the State Department website- "Always bring your passport in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency, even if your cruise says you won’t need it." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

I will say that this is the opposite of what the State Department used to recommend. In the past the recommendation was to leave it onboard in the safe. At the end of the day it's a recommendation and you must do what you feel comfortable doing.

We actually have a slightly different technique re copies of our Passport. Rather than generally carrying a hard copy (easy to lose ) we have scanned our Passports and put jpg copies on one of our e-mail accounts...which we can access from anywhere in the world. We also use this e-mail account to store copies of all the relevant documents that pertain to our trip. If everything we have were to be stolen or lost we can quickly recover all those documents from anyplace that offers Internet access.

But nobody has been able to explain the advantage of carrying a copy of one's Passport. If we would need to get an emergency Passport replacement we have everything we need on our dedicated e-mail account including items like the Passport copy, drivers license, birth certificate, trip itinerary, airline reservations, etc.

Hank

We actually have a slightly different technique re copies of our Passport. Rather than generally carrying a hard copy (easy to lose ) we have scanned our Passports and put jpg copies on one of our e-mail accounts...which we can access from anywhere in the world. We also use this e-mail account to store copies of all the relevant documents that pertain to our trip. If everything we have were to be stolen or lost we can quickly recover all those documents from anyplace that offers Internet access.

But nobody has been able to explain the advantage of carrying a copy of one's Passport. If we would need to get an emergency Passport replacement we have everything we need on our dedicated e-mail account including items like the Passport copy, drivers license, birth certificate, trip itinerary, airline reservations, etc.

Hank

A copy is a copy whether physical or electronic. I also have an electronic copy that I can access. But this falls under the category of "to each his own" and if someone chooses to carry a hard copy it doesn't affect me.

A copy is a copy whether physical or electronic. I also have an electronic copy that I can access. But this falls under the category of "to each his own" and if someone chooses to carry a hard copy it doesn't affect me.

Ditto sparks - some people prefer to have a hard copy or aren't tech savvy enough to scan and keep an electronic copy. Just personal preference

It doesn't affect me either. In fact if you want to burn your Passport that is your business...but not sure why you decided to make this thread personal :(. The OP was asking for opinions and that is just what a forum is about.

Hank

Passports, in the Caribbean, are for reentry into the US.

With the exception of Cuba, on islands in the Caribbean, 'in transit' cruise ship visitors do not need passports to be ashore for the day.

The reentry issue is also successfully managed by US citizens with official birth certificates and a govt. issued photo ID.

It doesn't affect me either. In fact if you want to burn your Passport that is your business...but not sure why you decided to make this thread personal :(. The OP was asking for opinions and that is just what a forum is about.

Hank

I didn't realize that I did make it personal, that wasn't my intent. I provided information in response to your first post and answered a statement that you made in your second post.

This topic comes up almost weekly. Just scan this message board and you will find dozens of threads on this exact topic. But to summarize....some folks will tell to leave on the ship and others will say take it with you. Both sides are deep in their bunkers and wont change their (or anyone elses) minds on this topic. (for the record I ALWAYS have mine in my pocket when in a foreign country.).

Probably because the State Department suggests it- "Make two copies of all your travel documents in case of emergency. Leave one copy with a trusted friend or relative at home and carry the other separately from your original documents. To help prevent theft, do not carry your passport in your back pocket, and keep it separate from your money." Now of course that doesn't explicitly say make a copy of the passport, but I do recall in days past that it did specify making a copy of the information page to facilitate getting a replacement. And to that end I just found this in the section regarding replacing a lost or stolen passport abroad (emphasis added):

"The following list identifies a number of documents/items you should take with you to the embassy/consulate. Even if you are unable to present all of the documents, the consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly.

Please provide:

• A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it in advance to speed the process of replacing your passport)
  • Identification (driver's license, expired passport etc.)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)
  • Travel Itinerary (airline/train tickets)
  • Police Report, if available
  • DS-11 Application for Passport (may be completed at time of application)
  • DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (may be completed at time of application)"

OP, as for taking ashore, leaving onboard I found this on the State Department website- "Always bring your passport in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency, even if your cruise says you won’t need it." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

I will say that this is the opposite of what the State Department used to recommend. In the past the recommendation was to leave it onboard in the safe. At the end of the day it's a recommendation and you must do what you feel comfortable doing.

OP, I have to apologize, I went back and re-read that section and I'm not sure what the State Department is recommending, but the comment about always bringing your passport was in the section entitled "Before you travel". Here is the entire section verbatim and in the section entitled "During your cruise" it does say consider leaving your travel documents in a secure spot such as a room or ship's safe, but that can be read a couple of different ways, so we are back to do whatever you feel comfortable doing, there is no right or wrong answer. (And as noted electronic copies are just as good as hard copy ones and are one less thing to carry.)

Before You Travel

• Read our Traveler’s Checklist and make sure to:
  • Research your destination to learn about important health and safety precautions to take.
  • Check our country information for the countries you will be visiting. Make a list of the contact information of the U.S. embassy and consulates there in case of an emergency
  • Always bring your passport in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency, even if your cruise says you won’t need it.
  • Apply early for your passport, or make sure your current one will be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages.. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not.
  • Have the right foreign visas for all stops on your cruise, if required, even if you do not plan to disembark in those locations.
  • Check our country information for the countries you will be visiting. Make a list of the contact information of the U.S. embassy and consulates in case of an emergency.
  • Sign up for our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive important safety and security information. Follow @TravelGov on Twitter and/or Facebook for travel and security information as well.
  • Have medical, emergency evacuation, and other insurance to cover unexpected travel expenses when abroad. Check with your cruise line, travel agency, health/homeowner’s insurance providers, credit card companies, and other sources to learn what they do and do not cover overseas. Consider buying supplemental insurance.
  • Make color copies of your passport photo page, foreign visas, and itinerary. Leave one copy with a trusted family member or friend and carry one separately from your actual documents.

During Your Cruise

• Remain vigilant and exercise normal precautions aboard a cruise ship and on shore, as you would whenever traveling abroad.
  • Limit your alcohol intake.
  • Ensure cabin safety and make sure the door and balcony are properly locked at all times.
  • Consider storing your travel documents and other valuables in a secure spot, such as a room or ship’s safe.
  • Talk to the security personnel on board if you are the victim of a crime. The cruise ship will have procedures in place for handling a crime onboard.
  • When you come ashore, follow local laws and customs. If you break the law, you will be subject to the justice system of the host country
  • If you are the victim of a crime on shore, report it to local authorities, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, and to cruise ship security personnel.
  • If you lose your passport, report it immediately to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate and make arrangements to get a replacement passport, for a fee.

OP, I have to apologize, I went back and re-read that section and I'm not sure what the State Department is recommending, but the comment about always bringing your passport was in the section entitled "Before you travel". Here is the entire section verbatim and in the section entitled "During your cruise" it does say consider leaving your travel documents in a secure spot such as a room or ship's safe, but that can be read a couple of different ways, so we are back to do whatever you feel comfortable doing, there is no right or wrong answer. (And as noted electronic copies are just as good as hard copy ones and are one less thing to carry.)

Before You Travel

•  
  • Read our Traveler’s Checklist and make sure to:

• Research your destination to learn about important health and safety precautions to take.

• Check our country information for the countries you will be visiting. Make a list of the contact information of the U.S. embassy and consulates there in case of an emergency

• Always bring your passport in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency, even if your cruise says you won’t need it.

• Apply early for your passport, or make sure your current one will be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages.. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not.

• Have the right foreign visas for all stops on your cruise, if required, even if you do not plan to disembark in those locations.

• Check our country information for the countries you will be visiting. Make a list of the contact information of the U.S. embassy and consulates in case of an emergency.

• Sign up for our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive important safety and security information. Follow @TravelGov on Twitter and/or Facebook for travel and security information as well.

• Have medical, emergency evacuation, and other insurance to cover unexpected travel expenses when abroad. Check with your cruise line, travel agency, health/homeowner’s insurance providers, credit card companies, and other sources to learn what they do and do not cover overseas. Consider buying supplemental insurance.

• Make color copies of your passport photo page, foreign visas, and itinerary. Leave one copy with a trusted family member or friend and carry one separately from your actual documents.

During Your Cruise

•  
  • Remain vigilant and exercise normal precautions aboard a cruise ship and on shore, as you would whenever traveling abroad.

• Limit your alcohol intake.

• Ensure cabin safety and make sure the door and balcony are properly locked at all times.

• Consider storing your travel documents and other valuables in a secure spot, such as a room or ship’s safe.

• Talk to the security personnel on board if you are the victim of a crime. The cruise ship will have procedures in place for handling a crime onboard.

• When you come ashore, follow local laws and customs. If you break the law, you will be subject to the justice system of the host country

• If you are the victim of a crime on shore, report it to local authorities, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, and to cruise ship security personnel.

• If you lose your passport, report it immediately to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate and make arrangements to get a replacement passport, for a fee.

Thank you so much! All of this information is very helpful!!

We never thought about making copies of our passports until friends of ours had their passports stolen in Italy -- in the 70's. Since they had copies, they just went to the American Embassy who helped them get new pictures and new passports -- everything was done in 2 days.

Now we just put our passports in the safe (except for a few countries that require we show the real thing or the ship asks for them) and carry copies.

We never thought about making copies of our passports until friends of ours had their passports stolen in Italy -- in the 70's. Since they had copies, they just went to the American Embassy who helped them get new pictures and new passports -- everything was done in 2 days.

Now we just put our passports in the safe (except for a few countries that require we show the real thing or the ship asks for them) and carry copies.

Yes, in the 70s a copy would help.

Its 2018. You don't need a copy anymore.

To the OP, absolutely zero reason to carry your passport in the Bahamas.

Just asking here. If you miss the ship and must "get home" on your own, would you not need your passport even in the Bahamas to board a plane? Ditto a medical evac although you'd probably have access to the passport left on the ship in that case but maybe not.

Just asking here. If you miss the ship and must "get home" on your own, would you not need your passport even in the Bahamas to board a plane? Ditto a medical evac although you'd probably have access to the passport left on the ship in that case but maybe not.

If you miss the ship, that means the ship waited for you, went to your cabin and if they still could not find you cleared your cabin out likely took your passport out of the safe and you'll get it.

You would need to go to the embassy and get a passport though if it was not there at all.

Hank

Because they will want paper copies for THEIR records when replacing your passport.

So you will need the added step of finding some place, to log into your accounts (and where you feel safe doing so) and printing out the required documents.

State Department will not accept you just showing the documents on your phone, unlike the airlines.

If you miss the ship, that means the ship waited for you, MAYBE went to your cabin and if they still could not find you cleared your cabin out likely took your passport out of the safe and you'll get it.

You would need to go to the embassy and get a passport though if it was not there at all.

While some cruise lines say they will do this, there are reports of those that missed the ship NOT having the line do this.