Alarm clocks

carlucci40

Why would you need an alarm clock when you are on vacation?

If you are referring to someone suggesting you take an alarm clock, that person may not have a smart phone. Most modern cell phones can double as an alarm clock.

We take a travel alarm cause my husband likes to see time when he wakes up. It's very small, battery operated and he doesn't want to screw with a phone which will probably be across the room getting charged.

Your cell phone will pick up the time for where you happen to be......but if the ship doesn't change time for each time zone you will not be on the correct time. If you need a clock buy a cheap $10 analog watch or a cheap wind up or battery operated alarm clock.

Your cell phone will pick up the time for where you happen to be......but if the ship doesn't change time for each time zone you will not be on the correct time. If you need a clock buy a cheap $10 analog watch or a cheap wind up or battery operated alarm clock.

"Close but no cigar"

If the phone is set to "airplane mode," including not then turning on "wifi" (i.e., no connectivity to the outside world), the smart phone time will remain in the zone when it was last connected.

Once you turn airplane mode off AND have cellular service, the time will adjust to local time unless you have deselected that feature in your settings. Add the complicating factor of what time the ship uses and you can see why someone might want a watch or alarm clock.

Personally, I use a watch that has display of two selected time zones plus GMT. Also, one of the things I like about our preferred cruise line is that they supply an analog alarm clock, which the cabin steward adjusts as needed for time zone changes and/or ship time differences (though we have never been on a cruise where the ship used anything other than local time).

"Close but no cigar"

If the phone is set to "airplane mode," including not then turning on "wifi" (i.e., no connectivity to the outside world), the smart phone time will remain in the zone when it was last connected.

Once you turn airplane mode off AND have cellular service, the time will adjust to local time unless you have deselected that feature in your settings. Add the complicating factor of what time the ship uses and you can see why someone might want a watch or alarm clock.

Personally, I use a watch that has display of two selected time zones plus GMT. Also, one of the things I like about our preferred cruise line is that they supply an analog alarm clock, which the cabin steward adjusts as needed for time zone changes and/or ship time differences (though we have never been on a cruise where the ship used anything other than local time).

You also have it wrong. Put the phone in airplane mode. Put the automatic clock time set to manual. Then manually set the phone time to the ship time. Really easy.

DON

You also have it wrong. Put the phone in airplane mode. Put the automatic clock time set to manual. Then manually set the phone time to the ship time. Really easy.

DON

Not "wrong." Rather, I left out that other option. Even then, it assumes the user understands whether the ship is using local or some other time.

In fact, the only valid reason for a ship not to use local time is to avoid time changes that will confound/challenge many in the thundering herd of passengers new to traveling across time zones.

You can get a "wake-up" call just like in a hotel if you need one. Most folks turn their phones OFF, so as not to incur surprise charges at sea. Most of the cabin phones do have a small clock read out, although no alarm.....you are on vacation, after all!

Our cell phones are turned off and in the cabin safe for most of our trip.

Slight problem. My smart phone is also my camera, my audio player, my audiobook player, and stored movies and TV shows. When I go on my cruise in September, the Celebrity Application will have information on on-board activities. Thus, it won't be off, just less used. On board ship, it is in Airplane mode to avoid any surprise charges.

As for the time... You can turn off the automatic time settings in your smartphone and set the time zone manually. What I did with my Samsung S8 (Android) phone during my Alaska cruise is as follows:

1. Go into Settings
  2. Go into General Management
  3. Go to Language and Time → Date and time
  4. Turn off Automatic date and Time
  5. Change the time zone from GMT-07:00 Pacific Daylight Time to GMT-08:00 Alaska Daylight Time

The time drift for a week isn't that much.

The phone in your cabin has a clock and you can program the wake up alarm

I totally agree with this. Why take anything you can avoid taking when the cruise line has provided an excellent alternative which does exactly the same job?

Regards John

My phone keeps changing time during the cruise by itself and it doesn’t match ship time or zone time. Weird!!!

Just go out to settings and turn off set automatically. Then when the ship changes time zones you just reset your time.

That depends on your settings. You can change it so the phone stays on the time zone you set.

Also, if you are in airplane mode, even using BlueTooth and WiFi, it does not change time zones. You have to connect to the local cellular network for the phone to get the local time.

I totally agree with this. Why take anything you can avoid taking when the cruise line has provided an excellent alternative which does exactly the same job?

Regards John

That is cruise line dependent.

Maybe the line YOU cruise on does so, but this is not true for ALL cruise lines.

What you are saying is like saying, my car has automatic headlights, so I see no reason someone should not have their headlights on when needed. :D

If you want to take one, do it. Be aware of one thing, ship's power NOT a true 110 volts. An old style analog type clock will LOSE several minutes every day.

Voltage has NOTHING to do with it.

Frequency of the AC does. And ships pretty much stick with 50 or 60 Hertz standard.

And BTW, analog clock means it has HANDS, it can be battery operated (independent of ships electric power frequency).

A plug-in DIGITAL (no hands) clock will have the same issues with electric power frequency, IF the clock keeps time by using the power frequency. Not all do.

When we are on cruises (which can be more then 100 days a year) our phones are generally turned off and snug in our cabin safe. We have small his/hers Alarm Clocks which sit on our bedside tables. Our inexpensive clocks can run for 2-3 years without a battery change and also have a temperature gauge which is nice to have on ships.

Hank

I never really understood why cruise ships don't have digital clocks in the rooms. I know if I wake up in the middle of the night or early morning, I like to look over and see what time it is without effort. Allure of the Seas has a nice Digital clock w/ iPhone docking station, but I've yet to see this on any other ship.

enhance

I carry a cheap watch which stays on the night stand at night. I also use it when we are in port and keep it on "ship's time" since that's when the ship leaves port and I don't want to lose track of time and have the ship leave without me. I ask for a wake up call on the phone. Works great. Sometimes, for a wake up call, I use the room door hanger and put it out the night before with a time for coffee to be delivered. Nice way to wake up.

"Close but no cigar"

And you are wrong also. Putting your phone in Airplane mode does not automatically stop your phone from changing time zones.

But in any case, even though mine does change, it’s easy to manually change the time zones back to the one this ship is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums