Compensation for missed ports

jessybell

Interesting discussion on P&O forum suggesting that most cruise companies reimburse unused port fees/taxes when a ship is unable to call at a designated stop for whatever reason. We missed 4 ports on Black Watch World Cruise this year but did not receive any refunds. Thinking I should take this further.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Lima to Sydney sector, and as you will know, missed Bora Bora and the Cook Islands which was disappointing. Luckily, Easter Island was always going to be my highlight, and I was so glad to not miss that experience. I would be interested if you do get any progress on this.

I have had quite a few missed ports over the years on a number of cruise lines, including Fred, but I have never had port fees refunded. So don’t get your hopes up!

No I have never had them back either but perhaps it is a case of if you don’t ask you don’t get?

It may also depend on the reason for missing the port.

Main reason was Cyclone Gita making herself known. Even Easter Island we missed as on an afternoon tender which was cancelled as seas became to rough. We had never given a thought to a possible refund, but having read what some other cruise lines do, perhaps should have done so. We had an unexpected refund when on Aurora a few years ago when the fuel supplement was given back to every pax....

I, too, have missed ports especially in the Pacific but never had compensation. I think if you look through the masses of small print of your contract with FOCL the company are well covered. I wouldn't build up your hopes.

Just thinking aloud - if a ship misses a port of call it saves on berthing fees etc., but has additional fuel costs remaining at sea, so perhaps the cruise lines work on a swings and roundabouts procedure ?

Usually the captain will try and arrange an alternative POC if possible.

Never experienced or heard of refunds though.

Actually, thinking about it, we had an extra day in Tahiti and extra time in Auckland, so perhaps this would mean they wouldn’t have to pay any kind of compensation. Also, a cyclone would be out of their hands, so I’m sure that is covered in their T&Cs.