Long Flight with Toddler...

This will be the first 12+ flight for our 3 year old. We will be flying to Australia for a cruise on the Ovation of the Seas, but I want to know if there is anything I should look for or watch out for in a flight this long before I book...

I am obviously trying to find the shortest flight possible which is about 22 hours, but what else should I look for? Any airlines that are more comfortable or spacious or have features that accomadate better to a toddler?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Most airlines are pretty much the same in economy; none are particularly spacious or comfortable.

You can compare seats on different airlines on seatguru.com and see what would work best for you.

I’m not sure what any airline does better than another for a three year old. This is just a long, long flight and my priority would probably be schedule and price.

Take a few new toys/books. Do not give them out at once. Also a few favorite books. Snacks that your child likes. Maybe a small favorite blanket. If possible between flights let them walk around in the gate area. Let one parent go on with most of the carry-ons and do not board with your child till end. Use your car seat. It is a familiar place. Good Luck. Hopefully it will be child's bed time when you board. If the seatbelt is off, walk around the cabin if they are fussy. I have seen passengers with small children on a long trip give out small bags with a chocolate, earplugs, and a cute note about the child traveling to the row in front of them, behind them.

Some airlines do cater better than others e.g. with kids packs, and/or having toddler food, milk, and so on, whereas others don't cater at all.

I'm not across all the current offerings, but you should certainly check out airlines on your short list and you may find some cater better than others.

Also, I'm not sure where you're located, but if possible I'd suggest minimising the domestic sectors, and lengthening the international e.g. if going with Qantas, and DFW is closer than LAX, I'd suggest taking the DFW flight is preferable to the service/inclusions you'll get on the domestic leg.

You might be interested in this. https://www.kidspot.com.au/lifestyle/travel/getaways-for-you/the-5-kmart-hack-that-will-change-how-you-fly-with-kids/news-story/c7bdd251f1d39ff30fe39f17c669d648

Some airlines flyng to and from OZ banned kids sleeping devices (which you should also research) but apparently this approach is OK.

(I buy these beds quite often for my pupsters!)

You might be interested in this. https://www.kidspot.com.au/lifestyle/travel/getaways-for-you/the-5-kmart-hack-that-will-change-how-you-fly-with-kids/news-story/c7bdd251f1d39ff30fe39f17c669d648

Some airlines flyng to and from OZ banned kids sleeping devices (which you should also research) but apparently this approach is OK.

(I buy these beds quite often for my pupsters!)

Hmmm...wouldn't of thought of this, but it seems like it could work! I will definitely call Qantas ( that's the airline that is giving us the best deal right now) and see if they allow sleep aids, if not then this will be the route to take.

Phenergan!!!

Or Air New Zealand Skycouch. Google that one!

I check the prices with Air New Zealand and there is about a $1,500 difference in airfare compared to Qantas. I wish we could afford that price difference because the Skycouch would be awesome, but unless their prices go down we can't afford it.