Smoking on Silver Shadow

notjaded

Newbie here, and just trying to get a lay of the land.

Will be taking a Silver Shadow cruise and wondered about the reality of the stated policy:

"...cigarette, cigar, electronic cigarette and pipe smoking is permitted only in the Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated areas. These areas include designated tables and seating outside of the Panorama Lounge and the Pool Bar, as well as on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard ...Silver Shadow..."

I'm not seeking to debate anything, but just trying to get some factual information:

1. Is it true that smoking is allowed along the jogging track on Deck 9, as well as upwind of the jogging track of Deck 9?

2. I also note that the Connoisseur's Corner is right next to the La Dame and La Terrazza. Does the smell of tobacco affect diners of these adjacent restaurants?

Many thanks!

I don’t think I have ever seen anyone smoking on the jogging track ( on any of the ships). La Terrazza isn’t affected inside, but people are allowed to smoke on one side outside. On the Shadow there is a door between La Dame and the Connoisseurs Corner. If it has been opened during the day the smell may creep in. There are also those with an extreme sense of smell who believe they can smell cigar smoke when in La Dame, as a ‘normal’ non smoker I have never been able to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will be taking a Silver Shadow cruise and wondered about the reality of the stated policy:

"...cigarette, cigar, electronic cigarette and pipe smoking is permitted only in the Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated areas. These areas include designated tables and seating outside of the Panorama Lounge and the Pool Bar, as well as on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard ...Silver Shadow..."

I'm not seeking to debate anything, but just trying to get some factual information:

1. Is it true that smoking is allowed along the jogging track on Deck 9, as well as upwind of the jogging track of Deck 9?

2. I also note that the Connoisseur's Corner is right next to the La Dame and La Terrazza. Does the smell of tobacco affect diners of these adjacent restaurants?

Many thanks!

In our experience on Shadow:

1. No

2. No

La Terrazza isn’t affected inside, but people are allowed to smoke on one side outside.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious about the smoking outside La Terrazza, as this is not mentioned in the Silversea smoking policy.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious about the smoking outside La Terrazza, as this is not mentioned in the Silversea smoking policy.

Hopefully your just kidding. I think you will figure it out in the first 30 minutes once you board. If not just ask one of the staff or crew members.

I can see your hooked but try to enjoy the cruise.

Hopefully your just kidding. I think you will figure it out in the first 30 minutes once you board. If not just ask one of the staff or crew members.

I can see your hooked but try to enjoy the cruise.

I do not understand your communication.

• 2 weeks later...

The *policy* is that smoking is allowed on the starboard side outside La Terrazza. Same is true of the Panorama Lounge, just above La Terrazza.

Late at night it is not uncommon to see less strict policies held in outside venues. But seriously the only time I noticed smoking was when I actually went into the cigar bar.

• 2 months later...
I don’t think I have ever seen anyone smoking on the jogging track ( on any of the ships). La Terrazza isn’t affected inside, but people are allowed to smoke on one side outside. On the Shadow there is a door between La Dame and the Connoisseurs Corner. If it has been opened during the day the smell may creep in. There are also those with an extreme sense of smell who believe they can smell cigar smoke when in La Dame, as a ‘normal’ non smoker I have never been able to.

I was wondering if the smell of smoke from the Connoisseurs Corner gets into the conference/card room. We are booked on the silver shadow for the fall of 2018 and I'm worried the smoke will creep into the card room while we're playing bridge.

Many thanks!

Hi,

Did you go on your cruise on the Shadow yet? I was wondering if the smoke gets into the card room. I am very sensitive to smoke and have a cruise booked for 2019 on the Shadow which I will cancel if so.

Popdog......the Humidor is very rarely used during the day....the exception being if the weather is nasty or they’re bunkering....when one can’t smoke outside...

During the evenings post dinner one may find folk enjoying a cigar but the room is well ventilated and staff keep it exceptionally clean so l doubt you will have a problem.

Sophia

I was wondering if the smell of smoke from the Connoisseurs Corner gets into the conference/card room. We are booked on the silver shadow for the fall of 2018 and I'm worried the smoke will creep into the card room while we're playing bridge.

No it doesn’t. We also play bridge and have never smelt any whiff of smoke whilst playing in the afternoon.

Popdog......the Humidor is very rarely used during the day....the exception being if the weather is nasty or they’re bunkering....when one can’t smoke outside...

During the evenings post dinner one may find folk enjoying a cigar but the room is well ventilated and staff keep it exceptionally clean so l doubt you will have a problem.

Sophia

Thanks so much for allaying my fears. I was worried I wasn't going to be able to sail with Silversea. By the way, I meant to say we're sailing in the fall of 2019 - getting the years of my various cruises confused.

No it doesn’t. We also play bridge and have never smelt any whiff of smoke whilst playing in the afternoon.

Thanks so much for the reply. I can stop fretting about it and look forward to the cruise (meant to write fall of 2019, not 2018).

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, Popdog1 said:

Thanks so much for the reply. I can stop fretting about it and look forward to the cruise (meant to write fall of 2019, not 2018).

Hi Popdog1. 

We are thinking of going on Silversea and are also worried about the smell of smoke in/out. In the end, was it a problem for you? Thanks 

We decided not to go on that cruise after all.  My concern was not only the smoke but also the fact that the ship was very old and reviews of the Cloud were not good.  Instead we spent the month of November traveling in Israel.  Right now we’re at the airport on our way to Barcelona where we’re going to sail with the Regent of the Seven Seas Splendor on her maiden voyage from Barcelona to Miami (Feb 6 departure). 

From what I could gather though, the smoke doesn’t seem to bother many people. I’ve heard very good things about Silversea and would still like to voyage with them one day but I’ll wait until they have an itinerary I like on a newer ship.

Edited by Popdog1

14 minutes ago, Popdog1 said:

We decided not to go on that cruise after all.  My concern was not only the smoke but also the fact that the ship was very old and reviews of the Cloud were not good.  Instead we spent the month of November traveling in Israel.  Right now we’re at the airport on our way to Barcelona where we’re going to sail with the Regent of the Seven Seas Splendor on her maiden voyage from Barcelona to Miami (Feb 6 departure). 

From what I could gather though, the smoke doesn’t seem to bother many people. I’ve heard very good things about Silversea and would still like to voyage with them one day but I’ll wait until they have an itinerary I like on a newer ship.

Thank you for replying so quickly. Actually, we are between a Baltic itinerary on Silver Spirit, and another on Regent Splendor, so I would be really interested to hear how Regent is. Have a great time, it sounds really exciting!! 

In March on the Shadow in Asia I was told that smoking was not permitted outside of La Terrazza because there was a fuel or gas issue a couple of decks below that area. Smoking was allowed outside of the Panorama Lounge. I assume that nothing has changed.

4 hours ago, dougburns said:

In March on the Shadow in Asia I was told that smoking was not permitted outside of La Terrazza because there was a fuel or gas issue a couple of decks below that area. Smoking was allowed outside of the Panorama Lounge. I assume that nothing has changed.

Thanks dougburns. We're quite sensitive to smoke. Do you know if the smell of smoke seeps indoors, or does it stay outside? Thanks

13 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The Shadow has that fancy refurbed smoking area outside on deck 8 I think.

It's just outside the connoisseurs corner.

It's very different.

And really quite attractive although the plants are fake.

Almost made me regret quitting smoking ... no, not really ...

On my recent voyage, I found most smokers used the Connoisseur's Corner - inside, which is also an attractive room, or out on the deck, yes it is deck 8 - and not so many smoked out the back of Panorama or on the starboard side of deck 8 around the pool - making a proximate and attractive outdoor smoking area appears to have been a success, so far.

And, while I always eat indoors at La Terrazza so I can't say for sure, I was never aware of anyone smoking out back there on deck 7. Mind you, we had a gale warning most days so you couldn't even eat out there sometimes, never mind try and light a cigarette!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, dougburns said:

Doug, we were on the Shadow in March 2018 and smoking was allowed then for definite and as rpharris summarised above (along with others.) It was distinctly to the annoyance on the cruise we were on that 2 groups of the owners friends travelled along with us, one of which asked if they were OK to smoke  cigars on the innermost table in the centre of the Terrace of La Terrazza and was told it was. Several guests voiced their displeasure and left. Rules don't apply to some I'm afraid and the crew were not going to say no to any request from them from fear I have to believe. (Which was highlighted with other events we saw these guests involved with and the crews reaction each time. They jumped very high - and it was very clear they were quite fearful of their VIP guests!

It's also permitted on the bar side of Hot Rocks in the evening.

That was then.... so maybe it has changed.

Edited by les37b