Train in Skagway

leepforjoy

Hi we are thinking about the train too. Can anyone please advise if we can buy the ticket from the train ourself. The excursion from the cruise is very expensive. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are thinking about taking the train one way and a bus one way in Skagway. I get motion sickness Has anyone else who gets motion sick taken the train know if the train is bad for motion sickness

Don't read books, maps, or schedules. If you stay busy looking out the train windows

you should be immune. That means you'll want to grab a window seat on the north

(left, facing forward) side of the train if you do train then bus; otherwise you'll have

uninteresting dirt 2' from your nose much of the time as the train scoots along ledges.

We are thinking about taking the train one way and a bus one way in Skagway. I get motion sickness Has anyone else who gets motion sick taken the train know if the train is bad for motion sickness

You defiantly need to take some anti-motion sickness medicine on this cruise if you get motion sickness from the train. The cruise ship will rock and roll more than the train or bus does. I suggest that you take the bus up to Emerald Lake and then have a lunch at Caribou crossing trading post and then take the train back to Skagway. Chilkoot Charters is very good https://chilkootcharters.com/

Randy

Thanks everyone for your help. We have to take the train up because on Sunday that is the only option. I do have a patch and motion sickness pills. Sounds like I will be OK if I take some medication

...and keep your eyes watching the scenery.

Motion sickness is triggered when your inner ear says you're bouncing around,

and because your eyes are looking at a book, seat-in-front-of-you, etc,

that's bouncing along with you so your eyes swear to your brain that

everything is steady.

BTW, anti-seasick wrist bands do work, but you have to position the bumps

in just the right spot on the inside of your wrist.

In many White Pass & Yukon RR trips, I haven't met anyone that complained of motion sickness. More of an issue would be a fear of heights as the train tracks are dug into the side of some really tall hills.

P5190253.jpg

Yes, the train 'height' issue will be a challenge for me also on our first trip in Aug. But will overcome as the trip will be amazing. Another recommendation for motion sickness: keep a MODERATELY full stomach, meaning occasional snacking. This seems to help me, along with of course NEVER reading while in motion in any vehicle. And I've fared quite well on 7 cruises.

I noticed the railroad does not offer the one way trips on Mondays and Tuesdays when I am in town with my cruise

You might want to go to Chilkoot tours which offers a variety of train and bus combos on multiple days of the week and see if it works for your dates.

You might want to go to Chilkoot tours which offers a variety of train and bus combos on multiple days of the week and see if it works for your dates.

Quite true, but realize if WP&YR isn't running a train, Chilkoot can't offer it.

According to Chilikoots website they do offer the Emerald Lake Bus/Train combo on the date I am in town. WOndering if the train reserves all seats for cruise passenger tours on those days.

Chilkoot tours has there own assigned train car. Are you worried about not having a seat on the train?

Chilkoot does a fantastic job. Bus up and train down was great for us last August. And, yes, we had our own car down on the train, with a knowledgeable guide.

Chilkoot does a fantastic job. Bus up and train down was great for us last August. And, yes, we had our own car down on the train, with a knowledgeable guide.

Yep. But Chilikoot's private car ain't going anywhere on the train's days off.

I read on another posting that it’s a hundred miles of travel and it’s best to book with the cruise line so they don’t leave without us. We’re booked with Chilkoot for bus/ train starting at noon with the ship departing around 8. Is that enough time built in? I figured we’d all be on the same trains, but the poster said that cruises take their own trains.

I read on another posting that it’s a hundred miles of travel and it’s best to book with the cruise line so they don’t leave without us. We’re booked with Chilkoot for bus/ train starting at noon with the ship departing around 8. Is that enough time built in? I figured we’d all be on the same trains, but the poster said that cruises take their own trains.

Different cars on the same train.

But I'll let you do your own math on departure times, realizing that cruise ship

passengers are let off at the docks and the rest are normally left off in town.

Insurance on Mondays and Tuesdays to let for the first part of the summer, anyway, the train hasn't been available to book on your own. It is only been available through chilkot or your cruise line. Ive been in contact with the train company and they said that they are basically being chartered out for those days.