Alaska Cruise - May 19th - On the Ruby Princess

FrickeNomads

My DW and I are at the Chicago airport waiting for our Alaskan airlines flight heading to Seattle. I’ll keep you posted as we progress along.

This is our first cruise and we are really looking forward to it. I didn’t get the internet package but counting on good service from AT&T while in ports so I’ll provided updates while where and when I can.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Taking a completely different cruise line and itinerary (plus a 10-day DIY land portion before) next month but still looking forward to anything you have to share. Have a great trip!

My DW and I are at the Chicago airport waiting for our Alaskan airlines flight heading to Seattle. I’ll keep you posted as we progress along.

This is our first cruise and we are really looking forward to it. I didn’t get the internet package but counting on good service from AT&T while in ports so I’ll provided updates while where and when I can.

Ill be on the Ruby June 30, I cant wait to see Alaska! Happy Happy cruising, looking forward to your post.

My wife and I sail on the Emerald May 20 from Seattle, we will be one day behind you!

@ DannyMac... what ports will you be visiting? We will have a day at sea, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier bay, Ketchikan and then Victoria.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

@ DannyMac... what ports will you be visiting? We will have a day at sea, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier bay, Ketchikan and then Victoria.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be prepared to get addicted to cruising and to Alaska. We took our first Princess cruise to Alaska in July 2007. On June 30th we will be on the Ruby Princess for our 3rd Alaska cruise (and first one out of Seattle) and over 20th Princess cruise. We are bringing our 2 children, their spouses and our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter - it will be lovely to see their first time cruisers' reactions!

Back in 2004 my wife dragged me on a Alaska cruise, I didn't want to go.Fast forward to 2018 we've been on 14 Alaska cruises. It is very addicting to say the least. We live in the Seattle area so it's just a little to easy to jump on a cruise ship and go.

Congratulations on your first cruise! You picked a fantastic 1 to be your first !! Alaska is incredibly beautiful and the Ruby Princess is a very nice ship. I hope you have lots of fun things planned for shore excursions!

If you dine in the main dining room during the evenings, if at all possible, could you take some photos of the menus each night and post them upon your return? I'm cruising. 2 weeks after you are.! Thank you and have a great time here, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.!:)

Hi everyone. We made it into Seattle with no issues. Always a good thing when you are flying at 35k feet. On our approach we had good views of Mt. Saint Helens, Hood and Rainier. Getting from the airport to the place we are staying at we used a Ace car service. Yes probably a bit on the expensive side but it was extremely convenient. We got a text from our driver as soon as we landed and waited only moments for him to arrive.

As for the place we are staying at. We elected to try out an Airbnb. Never did one before it my daughter does all the time and it seems to work out well for her. Not only that, I can’t let her be more “more modern” ( her word for using Airbnb) than me. The Airbnb is located in the Queen Anne district which is very close by to pier 91 and around a $9 Uber ride from the Ferris wheel. By the way Uber is well established in Seattle so no long waits in getting one. I would only suggest you establish a pickup at a good location where they can stop to get you. Traffic is congested in this city... always has been. We are very please with our Airbnb. Out host, Pamela is outstanding. She was very informative when I first established the reservations and very pleasant to talk with when we meet her yesterday while she was watering her garden. The view from the back yard is outstanding and I like it that we are not in the middle of the city and able to sit outside in a quiet neighborhood and have a wonderful view. We paid $375 for a two night stay so you can compare it to any search’s you may have for your trip. Here is the link to the place on Airbnb. https://abnb.me/Ped3hA4d1M . One of the things I like is that Pamela provided us some suggestions on places to visit and eat at which are not so touristy. She pointed out a road nearby Queen Anne street that had some nice local places to eat. I plan on taking a walk there this morning to check out the location and perhaps have dinner there. Speaking of dinner. Last night we went to Ivars which is located right on the water front. We had a table outside and it was a nice view. It’s been modernized since I ate there last back in the late 80’s when I was in the Navy and my ship was in dry dock at Todd ship yard. I had a simple but very good fish and chips and my wife Stephanie had the clam strips and chips basket. It must have been good as she only gave me one little clam strip. The clam chowder was excellent.

I’ll end this segment. Today (Friday) we plan on exploring Seattle a bit more. By the way I’ve never posted pictures on CC before so I’ll try it out here by posting a few pics from last night. I also hope to post pics of menus and the patter.

A few pictures from last night

Here is a pic of the walkway and door to our Airbnb

3f4c4565e5ab639ef79cc96ee089dc63.jpg

Here is the view of the backyard of our Airbnb. A bit dark so if I get a better pic I’ll post it.

8cd8bd258a6d71705d8d4e3ab5cd5477.jpg

My view while eating out on the deck at Ivars. My lovely wife Stephanie and a nice picture of a ferry heading to Bremerton. By the way Stephanie and I will be celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary this Sunday while at sea on the Ruby! [emoji847]

bab346f881b5bf71c8ba31d031f2ea8a.jpg

ff884048ff2d3c71e37838eadedf2d3b.jpg

Yeaaaa I was able to post some pics. From other posts by fellow CCers I was under the impression posting pics was not that straightforward. Although having them on iCloud probably helped.

One more thing about my posts. Please forgive me as I’m terrible with grammar and spelling. Proof reading in this little window does not help matters either. I appreciate those who are accomplished English teachers but please remember I’m on vacation not to mention I’m now in my 50s and set in my ways. LOL.

Congratulations on your first cruise! You picked a fantastic 1 to be your first !! Alaska is incredibly beautiful and the Ruby Princess is a very nice ship. I hope you have lots of fun things planned for shore excursions!

If you dine in the main dining room during the evenings, if at all possible, could you take some photos of the menus each night and post them upon your return? I'm cruising. 2 weeks after you are.! Thank you and have a great time here, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.!:)

I’m not so sure when we will dine in the MD. On the first formal night we will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary and eating at the Crown Grill. We do plan on eating at the MD during the second formal night. At least mom.... I mean my wife packed a suit and tie for me to wear that night. But to your point I do plan on taking pics of menus and the patter.

Be prepared to get addicted to cruising and to Alaska. We took our first Princess cruise to Alaska in July 2007. On June 30th we will be on the Ruby Princess for our 3rd Alaska cruise (and first one out of Seattle) and over 20th Princess cruise. We are bringing our 2 children, their spouses and our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter - it will be lovely to see their first time cruisers' reactions!

Glad to see someone else will be on the June 30th cruise.... I started a Roll Call, but it is not very active!

Hope to meet you and the family!

Well tomorrow morning (Saturday) is the big day where my wife and I set sail on the Ruby Princess. I made these plans back in September of last year and gave this as a Christmas present.... and now here we are!

Today we got the chance to explore Seattle a bit, including a ferry ride over to Bremerton and Port Orchard. Here are a few pictures.