Island Princess Alaska NB Patters Here

idahospud

Thank you so much for posting the Patters and providing the link to your blog! Really enjoying reading it. We're on the July 11 departure (which will be the first leg of our first B2B, our 11th and 12th Alaska cruises).

Do you know the approximate location of the ship on the second evening? We're planning to dine at the Bayou that night (we don't "participate" in formal nights, either!) but are always hesitant to dine indoors when cruising through good whale waters.

Will you also post the Captain's Log at the end? We are keenly interested in the coordinates along the route, as we have a log of areas where we've repeatedly seen whales. We love the humpback whales and always book a whale watch excursion when in Juneau. We'd lost track of the best whale watch captain we've ever had (Steve Olmstead) then recently found him! Turns out he's just started his own company (Alaska Humpback Adventures). Can't wait to go out with him twice this year!

Is there a good naturalist on the Island this season?

Great blog! Congrats on the compliment on your book. Kinda got start struck...by yourself!! haha I cannot see you patters clearly either on desk top or phone. When i try to expand them they aren't clear. Can you post different or email them?? tt_moore @ yahoo.com

Great blog! Congrats on the compliment on your book. Kinda got start struck...by yourself!! haha I cannot see you patters clearly either on desk top or phone. When i try to expand them they aren't clear. Can you post different or email them?? tt_moore @ yahoo.com

I'll put them in Google docs when we get into port and use my hotspot. I was afraid that wouldn't be readable. Thanks for letting me know.

Yep, star struck by myself!

Thank you so much for posting the Patters and providing the link to your blog! Really enjoying reading it. We're on the July 11 departure (which will be the first leg of our first B2B, our 11th and 12th Alaska cruises).

Do you know the approximate location of the ship on the second evening? We're planning to dine at the Bayou that night (we don't "participate" in formal nights, either!) but are always hesitant to dine indoors when cruising through good whale waters.

Will you also post the Captain's Log at the end? We are keenly interested in the coordinates along the route, as we have a log of areas where we've repeatedly seen whales. We love the humpback whales and always book a whale watch excursion when in Juneau. We'd lost track of the best whale watch captain we've ever had (Steve Olmstead) then recently found him! Turns out he's just started his own company (Alaska Humpback Adventures). Can't wait to go out with him twice this year!

Is there a good naturalist on the Island this season?

I couldn't tell you where we were the second night. Sorry! If you want a certain time for the Bayou, book ahead. We went in the first day to book the first or second formal night and there were only very late times left. We decided to go on a non-formal night so we could earlier.

I will post the Captain's Log at the end.

Mark Harris is the naturalist and he's good. We’ve sailed with him before. He not only does bridge commentary but also does multiple presentations in the theater throughout the cruise. On some ships we’ve had someone coming on anytime there have been pods of whales around the ship but we didn’t get that yet. We did see more orcas so far on this trip than I think we’ve ever seen in our last 13 Alaska cruises combined. The waters have been super smooth so it certainly made it easier to spot them. Plus I'm spending a lot of time on a lounger in the covered pool area writing so my eyes are always glancing up.

Thanks for following along. And enjoy your trip!

I couldn't tell you where we were the second night. Sorry! If you want a certain time for the Bayou, book ahead. We went in the first day to book the first or second formal night and there were only very late times left. We decided to go on a non-formal night so we could earlier.

I will post the Captain's Log at the end.

Mark Harris is the naturalist and he's good. We’ve sailed with him before. He not only does bridge commentary but also does multiple presentations in the theater throughout the cruise. On some ships we’ve had someone coming on anytime there have been pods of whales around the ship but we didn’t get that yet. We did see more orcas so far on this trip than I think we’ve ever seen in our last 13 Alaska cruises combined. The waters have been super smooth so it certainly made it easier to spot them. Plus I'm spending a lot of time on a lounger in the covered pool area writing so my eyes are always glancing up.

Thanks for following along. And enjoy your trip!

Good suggestion about pre-booking the Bayou, thanks!

We agree Mark is good. He spends more time out on deck than any other naturalist we've seen and he's got a microphone with him when in good waters for spotting wildlife, which benefits everyone (at least those who are interested ;))! Will be watching for the Orcas, too.

Thanks in advance for posting the log! Looking forward to your daily updates!

I'll put them in Google docs when we get into port and use my hotspot. I was afraid that wouldn't be readable. Thanks for letting me know.

Yep, star struck by myself!

I just added the Google docs links to the blog.

Thank you for posting these. I've been looking them over, and reading through your blog posts as well.

I have a question for you or the other person on the Island right now. This is probably silly, but I want to know if they have Coke Zero. If not, I'll drag some cans on with me, but if they do, I'll just get the soda package. I figure their soda offerings are pretty limited, but I know Coke has been pushing Coke Zero lately, so I figure there's a chance.

Thank you for posting these. I've been looking them over, and reading through your blog posts as well.

I have a question for you or the other person on the Island right now. This is probably silly, but I want to know if they have Coke Zero. If not, I'll drag some cans on with me, but if they do, I'll just get the soda package. I figure their soda offerings are pretty limited, but I know Coke has been pushing Coke Zero lately, so I figure there's a chance.

No Coke Zero this week and no Diet Coke from the US. They are using their leftover Diet Coke stock from their South America voyage. Coke sin azucar is definitely not tasting the same.

No Coke Zero this week and no Diet Coke from the US. They are using their leftover Diet Coke stock from their South America voyage. Coke sin azucar is definitely not tasting the same.
Ok, thank you for this info. I imagine they'll be done with South American diet coke by the time I board (in just over 3 weeks), but I'll probably pick up some coke zero in Vancouver. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Ok, thank you for this info. I imagine they'll be done with South American diet coke by the time I board (in just over 3 weeks), but I'll probably pick up some coke zero in Vancouver. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I found out the cabin mini-bars and the bars are using up the South American stock. Dining rooms have some regular diet coke available. But in three weeks Coke sin azucar should be gone.

Enjoy your trip!

I saw in the Patter....Crab Shack? Is that an additional location? Or held within one of the specialty restaurants? Is it all nights? Trying to find alternatives for formal night. Thanks

We only saw it one night. It is held on one side of Horizon Court. I'm pretty sure it was Skagway night.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I were onboard for the July 11-18 Voyage of the Glaciers cruise on the Island Princess. We both thought that Mark Harris was an excellent naturalist.