Information: Luggage on Air Canada Rouge then flight to Rome Cruise thru Montreal

drdaddy

Hello, Title is certainly confusing. Here is the short story.

We are flying Fort Lauderdale to Rome with a layover in Montreal. First leg to Montreal is Air Canada Rouge then Air Canada NS to Rome. Great fare on Celebrity's ChoiceAir.

The question is: Can I assume that Air Canada will transfer my luggage from the Rouge flight to the ongoing Air Canada flight? Somewhere on Air Canada's website there was a bit about collecting your own luggage and having to go thru the check in procedure in Montreal again. I understand we need to visit Canadian border control but would hate to lug the luggage out and then back in.

I called Air Canada and actually got a person but I was unimpressed with the lack of understanding.

And, what to eat in Montreal's airport? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yes I believe you do have to retrieve your luggage and then put it back on a conveyer belt. You will have to go through customs and security. To get a more definitive answer check out the Air Travel forum of Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Travel.html

There are lots of places to eat at the airport. Look for places featuring Montreal smoked meat although I don't see any on this list: https://montreal.eater.com/2016/11/18/13663166/best-restaurants-montreal-trudeau-airport-yul

The above information is not correct. Air Canada will check your baggage through from Fort Lauderdale to Rome and you will not need to transfer it in Montréal. You will, however, go through Canadian Border Services on entry from the US before proceeding to international departures. Here is the official Air Canada information on transiting Trudeau Airport in Montréal.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/at-the-airport/airport-information/montreal-airport/us-int.html

I’m surprised that the AC agent was not aware of this.

There are several restaurants and snack bars inside International Departures. Here’s a listing from the Airport Website.

https://www.admtl.com/en/shopping/restaurants/departure/restricted-area-international

If you want more than just a snack, I’d recommend the Auberge Saint-Gabriel. I haven’t tried it at the airport but I know the original in Old Montréal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Should also add that the baggage fee rules for the international flight overrides the rules for the US flight. Basically your first checked baggage is free.

If you have Star Alliance Gold status with AC or United then your free allowance may be higher.

Montreal is a great airport with lots of neat food options.

Thanks for all that info. I may have confused the AC agent because I mentioned that the first leg is Air Canada Rouge and the second leg is regular Air Canada. I know they are actually both Air Canada. Not sure what the real difference is. But I assumed that they would tag my bags thru to Rome and do the appropriate transfer at the airport. You never know. Our most recent trip we had a lost bag NON STOP to London. The bag was left behind in Miami! Go figure. Got it the next day.

We were able to score Premium Economy on both legs. Air Rouge actually calls it Business. And therefore we have 2 checked bags each for the whole flight. This is good and an additional savings because we are on Celebrity Reflection from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. $439 each and with that extra bag free, we are golden! ChoiceAir has been excellent our last 5 cruises.

With a 3 1/2 hr layover, I figure to have dinner in the airport. I know Montreal bagels are good but we get that here. I hear the meats and cold cuts are good. But I will have to find a good spot for Poutine (sp?). I hear THAT is the bomb!

laverendrye,

I just checked out that page you gave me. THAT is the information I have been searching for. Thanks

But there doesn't seem to be any restaurant that serves Poutine

Don’t worry about the poutine. There are times for it, but just before a long trans-Atlantic flight is, in my opinion, not one of them. All that heavy, fatty, greasy food sitting in the stomach? No way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all that info. I may have confused the AC agent because I mentioned that the first leg is Air Canada Rouge and the second leg is regular Air Canada. I know they are actually both Air Canada. Not sure what the real difference is. But I assumed that they would tag my bags thru to Rome and do the appropriate transfer at the airport. You never know. Our most recent trip we had a lost bag NON STOP to London. The bag was left behind in Miami! Go figure. Got it the next day.

We were able to score Premium Economy on both legs. Air Rouge actually calls it Business. And therefore we have 2 checked bags each for the whole flight. This is good and an additional savings because we are on Celebrity Reflection from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. $439 each and with that extra bag free, we are golden! ChoiceAir has been excellent our last 5 cruises.

The regular Air Canada aircraft are configured to service destinations that have some business travel. More legroom, in-flight entertainment in both the front and economy cabin.

Air Canada Rouge is designed to fly into vacation destinations that don't get a lot of business travel. From Canada most of Florida fits into this category. To drive down cost the economy seats are a bit tighter and business cabin is smaller (less seats).

Rouge Premium and Air Canada Business Class are virtually the same on flights within North American. The US airlines call there domestic Business Class product "First Class".

Premium Economy on the overseas flight is a better wider more comfortable seat, better meal, etc. It is a nice option.

I’m in the international departures at Trudeau and just had a quick bite at UBar. You will be happy to know that poutine is on the menu. It’s served with smoked meat and mushrooms so you get two hits in one. Too heavy for me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Clearing Canadian customs at Trudeau can be a nightmare wait. The last time for us, the line stretched out of the immigration hall andbackto the arrivals gate. If you run into that situation, be sure to cotact anyone who can help and make it clear you have a connecting overseas flight.