First Time Oceania - Food Recommendations?

cruisedad2

My wife and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary with a cruise on Oceania Insignia. While we are experienced cruisers, it is our first cruise on Oceania. We wondered, what is especially good or less known great foods and venues on Insignia? What dishes or even non-menu items do you recommend? Thanks!

My wife and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary with a cruise on Oceania Insignia. While we are experienced cruisers, it is our first cruise on Oceania. We wondered, what is especially good or less known great foods and venues on Insignia? What dishes or even non-menu items do you recommend? Thanks!

Try the baby lamb chops at breakfast~

1371609646945.jpeg

Phenomenal!

MDR will have a “Taste from Red Ginger” item on the menu and sometimes it is the MIso Glazed Sea Bass. It’s our favorite sea food dish...land or sea. In fact, if we had a specialty reservation and this dish appeared on the MDR menu that night...we’d cancel our specialty reservation.

Taste of the World sampler platters at lunch. A great appetizer to share or a nice entree.... my fav was the Moroccan. :cool:

Edited by JoePDX

depends on your tastes

no point in people telling how good something is if you do not like that

You can get lobster everyday if that is something that appeals to you

Usually if it is not on the menu you do not get it

MDR will have a “Taste from Red Ginger” item on the menu and sometimes it is the MIso Glazed Sea Bass. It’s our favorite sea food dish...land or sea. In fact, if we had a specialty reservation and this dish appeared on the MDR menu that night...we’d cancel our specialty reservation.

And this is a shining example of why one person's recommendation can be utterly useless to another person.

We love seafood . On our first Oceania cruise we ordered the Miso Glazed Sea Bass based on recommendations posted on this board. We thought it was close to inedible because the sauce was so sweet. Sea bass is a delicately flavored white fish and the cloying miso glaze was about as appropriate for this fish as pancake syrup would be.

Everyone's tastes differ, and to us this dish was a prime example of "one man's meat is another man's poison".

And this is a shining example of why one person's recommendation can be utterly useless to another person.

We love seafood . On our first Oceania cruise we ordered the Miso Glazed Sea Bass based on recommendations posted on this board. We thought it was close to inedible because the sauce was so sweet. Sea bass is a delicately flavored white fish and the cloying miso glaze was about as appropriate for this fish as pancake syrup would be.

Everyone's tastes differ, and to us this dish was a prime example of "one man's meat is another man's poison".

Sorry, this one didn’t meet your expectations based on previous recommendations....but, as you know it is usually the most recommended dish. As Lyn said, so much depends on individual tastes.

Okay - so, note to OP:

Instead of the sea bass in Red Ginger, go for the Crispy Duck/Watermelon Salad. I've yet to meet anyone who didn't love it.

Okay - so, note to OP:

Instead of the sea bass in Red Ginger, go for the Crispy Duck/Watermelon Salad. I've yet to meet anyone who didn't love it.

Uh oh.

That would be both of us... :(

We couldn't wait to try it, after hearing so much about it, but.... nooo...

However, we absolutely LOVED the sea bass. That is one of our all time favorites, anywhere!

It's all so personal.

GC

For us in Jacques: The Sea Bass for 2/The Dover Sole. Polo Grill: virtually any of the steaks/The Lobster(it's the real thing, not the warm water type) Red Ginger: Well my spouse being Chinese, well, we've had FAR better elsewhere.(in either case the Sea Bass is very good) I'm willing to have what few "Americans" are willing to try. If you're Brave,then try fresh Durian & then come back to me! Personally, I like it.

For us in Jacques: The Sea Bass for 2/The Dover Sole. Polo Grill: virtually any of the steaks/The Lobster(it's the real thing, not the warm water type) Red Ginger: Well my spouse being Chinese, well, we've had FAR better elsewhere.(in either case the Sea Bass is very good) I'm willing to have what few "Americans" are willing to try. If you're Brave,then try fresh Durian & then come back to me! Personally, I like it.

OP is sailing on Insignia, so no Jacques unfortunately ~ it is my favorite as well and we will certainly miss it when we sail Insignia for the first time this fall ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only sea food I enjoy is lobster (and Oceania has plenty of it) but my husband and other couples we travel with absolutely LOVE the Sea Bass that is served in what looks like a banana leaf in Red Ginger. Is that the Miso Glazed Sea Bass?

We will be on the Riviera in June and it would be wonderful if the option for the same Sea Bass they loved is available in the MDR?

Just want to confirm the one wrapped in leaf is the Miso Glazed?

The reason I ask is one time they told the waiter "We will have the Sea Bass" in Red Ginger and it was not the same one, but they said it was also very good.

Thanks!

the only sea food i enjoy is lobster (and oceania has plenty of it) but my husband and other couples we travel with absolutely love the sea bass that is served in what looks like a banana leaf in red ginger. Is that the miso glazed sea bass?

Thanks!

yes

You can see a sample menu on the website

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/red-ginger/

We will be on the Riviera in June and it would be wonderful if the option for the same Sea Bass they loved is available in the MDR?

Just want to confirm the one wrapped in leaf is the Miso Glazed?

The reason I ask is one time they told the waiter "We will have the Sea Bass" in Red Ginger and it was not the same one, but they said it was also very good.

Thanks!

The Miso Glazed Sea Bass shows up in the R ship MDR's (those without a Red Ginger restaurant) as a taste of Red Ginger selection. It is like the O specialty version, wrapped in a banana leaf.

I've never seen it on the O ships MDR menu...perhaps someone else has.

The Miso Glazed Sea Bass shows up in the R ship MDR's (those without a Red Ginger restaurant) as a taste of Red Ginger selection. It is like the O specialty version, wrapped in a banana leaf.

I've never seen it on the O ships MDR menu...perhaps someone else has.

It's a different type of sea bass on the MDR menu.

Thank you!

The Miso Glazed Sea Bass is in a Hoba leaf, the Snapper is in a banana leaf. Good to know!

;-)

Yep, I stand corrected...it's a hoba leaf when it shows up on the R ships menu.

Here is a link to Priesman's R menus from Nautica a few years ago.

http://www.thepreismans.com/china_japan_menus.htm#grand

Who knows what will show up now however, with the menu changes.

the duck and watermelon salad in Red Ginger is one of the best appies anywhere