Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:28 PM.
Ocala, Fl.
11,061 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
I mentioned this in my GC review, but I wanted to break it out into a full thread since it could be big news.

On GC this past weekend, we heard rumors from some of the crew that the cruise line might be adding a third ship in the near future! I think this is pretty exciting, and I'm hoping it leads to longer sailings or a new home port. Three or four night sailings, and maybe a ship in Port Canaveral would be awesome.

I know the old (Carnival) Holiday is for sale, and she is an identical sister to the Grand Celebration. She'd definitely be a great addition to their fleet.

It's very apparent that they are working to emphasize the cruise line's brand image. The ship's funnel, passenger ID cards, merchandise and documents now show the corporate logo and not just the name of the ship.

I think BPCL may be taking their first steps to becoming a bigger presence in the market. Especially considering that Carnival started off with three second-hand ships, there are some historical parallels there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grady's Past Cruises: 71

Royal Caribbean: 38, Carnival:24, Celebrity: 2, Norwegian: 2, Other Lines: 5

Centerville, Ohio, USA
9,893 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Interesting news and I appreciate you posting it. But, I wonder if becoming too big too soon might become an issue. Renaissance Cruises added ship after ship, etc. in a short period of time. I know that their business model was unusual for the time they were in operation.. But, their story did not end well for the Company.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
53 cruises: 32 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii Cruises, Home Lines
Ocala, Fl.
11,061 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Interesting as well, looks like she got the same cobbled-on balconies as the Carnival Fantasy Class ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ocala, Fl.
11,061 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by rkacruiser
Interesting news and I appreciate you posting it. But, I wonder if becoming too big too soon might become an issue. Renaissance Cruises added ship after ship, etc. in a short period of time. I know that their business model was unusual for the time they were in operation.. But, their story did not end well for the Company.
Yes, always a possibility. Hopefully they learn from those mistakes as they expand.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,480 Posts
Joined May 2000
I have concerns they can't even support two ships let alone three. On my recent GRAND CLASSICA cruise the ship was only 1/2 full at 700 pax. Filling two ships every day of the year is a huge challenge. I have to say having the ship only 1/2 full helped make for a fantastic experience.

Port Everglades could really use a three/four day cruise ship. Its been lacking at the port for many, many years. There would have to be some changes to BPC before I would consider sailing on them for any longer than 2-nights. The main thing being the aggressive selling by staff and the revenue producing announcements over and over again starting at 8:30am in two languages. It was annoying as hell and tarnished what could have been an even better experience.
Ocala, Fl.
11,061 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by eroller
I have concerns they can't even support two ships let alone three. On my recent GRAND CLASSICA cruise the ship was only 1/2 full at 700 pax. Filling two ships every day of the year is a huge challenge. I have to say having the ship only 1/2 full helped make for a fantastic experience.

Port Everglades could really use a three/four day cruise ship. Its been lacking at the port for many, many years. There would have to be some changes to BPC before I would consider sailing on them for any longer than 2-nights. The main thing being the aggressive selling by staff and the revenue producing announcements over and over again starting at 8:30am in two languages. It was annoying as hell and tarnished what could have been an even better experience.
I definitely agree about the constant upsell pitches. If they are trying to become a more mainstream line I hope they begin to tone that down a bit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Centerville, Ohio, USA
9,893 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by eroller

The desirability of a 3/4 day cruise ship operation at Port Everglades is a concept with which I agree. Add an additional day for a bit more of a varied itinerary at times might be attractive to South Florida visitors/residents. Would berthing space be an issue during High Season, however?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
53 cruises: 32 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii Cruises, Home Lines
south,fl.
124 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Sailed Classical last week and while chatting with crew this came up . Was told there were plans in the works for a third ship . Told it would be a 4 night to possibly Key West and Cuba ? They said no room at Port of Palm Beach , so Ft. Lauderdale or Miami are being considered . I personally don't see Cuba but Nassau or Cozumel as a Port. They didn't mention a Ship . I was hoping for Port of Palm Beach , since I live nearby . This is a rumor but I hope it's true .
Port St.Lucie Florida
26 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Just returned from the Grand Celebration. Cruised on that ship when they first started. it was so bad we never went back till this week. I must say. It as 110% better. Everyone now were from foreign countries and so super nice all the time. On our first cruise they were local people as crew members and were nasty and not nice at all. No help when you needed it. Food was terrible, shows were a joke.This time was a wonderful experience. The show on the second day was wonderful andreal enjoyable. So yes, I would like to see a 5 day out of Palm Beach but I do not think that is possible.
We are one hour exactly from our door to the entry to the ship. Otherwise just about 2 hours to Canaveral or lauderdale. Which is not that bad.
I am now going to give a review on this inexpensive get away short cruise.
Centerville, Ohio, USA
9,893 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
twodaywonder,

I am looking forward to reading your review.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coastal GA USA
23,075 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by gkbiiii
I think the third ship will be, the sister ship to the Grand Classica, the Costa neoRomantica. The neo ships have not made Costa any money and this future Grand Romantica would be easily the Flagship of the line!

https://www.costacruise.com/usa/costa_neoromantica.html

Interesting that you should say this... Costa has/had three neo-ships, and today I read that the third, neoRiviera, is going to AIDA in late 2019 to do exotic itineraries (like from South Africa...). EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Celebrity Equinox 08/25/18
Carnival Splendor 1/14/18 13 nites
Carnival Elation 12/11/17 5 nites
Carnival Fascination 10/8/17 4 nites
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,480 Posts
Joined May 2000
I would be surprised if Carnival Corp let COSTA neoROMANTICA go. They spent a ton of $$ on the ship, even ripping out the show lounge and replacing it with a fabulous spa. One of the best spas I’ve experienced on the high seas. The ship is far too nice for BPC IMO. Having now sailed on the two sisters, you would be hard pressed to guess that they were once so similar. NeoROMANTICA has been altered so greatly there is almost nothing original that remains.
1,219 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
The neo ship is also, far too nice for Costa! It is sad they don't manage their brand better. The amount of work/cash needed to bring the Classica into shape, says quite a bit about the Low standards of Costa!
4 hours and 38 minutes from the closest cruise terminal
11,215 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by rkacruiser
The desirability of a 3/4 day cruise ship operation at Port Everglades is a concept with which I agree

I’m not sure about that. It seems to me that the 3/4 day market out of Port Canaveral may be a bit saturated with NCL, Disney, Royal and Carnival operating these short itineraries with larger ships.

I’m thinking that BPCL has found a niche sailing from a port where they have no competition on short itineraries that nobody else operates. But I don’t know how well they’d perform competing head on against the big boys. Port Canaveral Cruise Lines tried that with the Dolphin IV in the early 2000’s and that failed, and Premier Cruise Lines (the Big Red Boat) reigned in Port Canaveral until they found head on competition from the company that they once partnered with, Disney, as well as the other major cruise lines, at which time it suffered a slow death.

I’m wondering if BPCL could expand by continuing to offer cruises and itineraries from departure ports not served by any other cruise line, somewhat like airlines like Allegiant have found a niche by flying to alternate destinations not served by the major airlines.

For example, I’ve always wondered if Savannah, GA could do well considering that Jacksonville and Charleston have been successful for Carnival. Savannah is the absolute closest port to millions of potential cruisers in Atlanta, plus it’s a charming port where cruisers could spend a few days pre/post cruise, and best of all there are NO cruise lines sailing from there except for the occasional sailings from small lines like American Cruise Lines.

I know that they currently don’t have a dedicated cruise terminal, but temporary facilities could be used while the market is developed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

TAPI
SAILED:
1981 Cunard Princess / 1982 Cunard Countess / 1984 The Victoria / 1991 Carla Costa / 1993 Monarch of the Seas / 1994 Tropicale / 1996 Royal Majesty / 1998 Viking Serenade / 1999 Dolphin IV / 2000 OceanBreeze / 2000 Carnival Destiny / 2003 Carnival Fascination / 2004 Empress of the Seas / 2005 Carnival Fascination / 2005 Carnival Liberty / 2006 Carnival Imagination / 2006 Carnival Fascination / 2007 Carnival Sensation / 2007 Holiday / 2008 Carnival Liberty / 2009 Carnival Imagination / 2010 Carnival Fascination / 2011 Allure of the Seas / 2011 Carnival Dream / 2013 Westerdam / 2014 Enchantment of the Seas / 2014 Golden Princess / 2016 MSC Divina / 2017 Disney Fantasy

NEXT:
2018 EMPRESS OF THE SEAS - Cuba / 2018 MSC MERAVIGLIA - Mediterranean / 2019 CARNIVAL FANTASY - Western Caribbean / 2019 REGAL PRINCESS - Atlantic Canadian Provinces / 2020 CARNIVAL PANORAMA - Mexican Riviera

Coastal GA USA
23,075 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
One problem with Savannah is that there are no direct flights to anywhere but Atlanta. I live 45 miles from the Savannah airport but drive 120 miles to JAX because I can fly direct to MIA or FLL for a lot less than flying from SAV via Charlotte, Atlanta, Detroit...etc. We are also limited as to size of ship, air draft in particular, as we have a bridge that must be cleared to reach the turning basin. We are much more suited for a port call for smaller ships than a home port. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Celebrity Equinox 08/25/18
Carnival Splendor 1/14/18 13 nites
Carnival Elation 12/11/17 5 nites
Carnival Fascination 10/8/17 4 nites
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Ocala, Fl.
11,061 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Or maybe Port Manatee, no other cruise ships sail from there that I know of.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature