Viking Romantic Danube or Danube Waltz

Kryssa

Hi River Cruisers!

My parents are doing their first river cruise next year and are trying to decide between these two Viking trips -

Romantic Danube - https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/romantic-danube/2019-budapest-nuremberg/index.html

Danube Waltz - https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/danube-waltz/2019-passau-budapest/index.html

All of the cities are new to both of them. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We recently completed a Danube Waltz cruise. We chose the Waltz because of the excursions to Cesky Krumlov and Bratislava, and enjoyed both very much, especially Cesky Krumlov.

We recently completed a Danube Waltz cruise. We chose the Waltz because of the excursions to Cesky Krumlov and Bratislava, and enjoyed both very much, especially Cesky Krumlov.

How was the cruise overall? The ship? Food? Service?

Thanks!

Thanks!

While I haven't take either of these cruises, I have sailed with Viking in the past. Viking food and service tend to be fairly equally across all of the ships, especially when you are comparing two Longships sailing in the same market. The ships will be exactly the same. The only thing that will make a difference in their choice will be the ports of call.

We've done both cruises.

As Peregrina651 says, its really a matter of which ports and included and optional trips your parents prefer.

But it's not a matter of either/or, like us your parents can do one, and then next time do the other. There are some duplicates, such as Vienna and Budapest but that's no bad thing.

Food, boat and everything else will be much of a muchness between the two cruises.

Hi River Cruisers!

My parents are doing their first river cruise next year and are trying to decide between these two Viking trips -

Romantic Danube - https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/romantic-danube/2019-budapest-nuremberg/index.html

Danube Waltz - https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/danube-waltz/2019-passau-budapest/index.html

All of the cities are new to both of them. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Our first river cruise (or cruise of any kind) was Viking’s Romantic Danube. Needless to say if you look at my signature, we are kinda hooked ;p

Just wanted to add that I’d love to come back and do the Danube Waltz as I haven’t yet seen Bratislava or Cesky Krumlov, and wish to spend more time in Vienna, etc.

Your parents will be happy with either, I’m sure! We added the Prague extension on our Romantic Danube, and it was a major highlight of the trip. Maybe pre and post cruise extension options will help make the decision?

Jeff

We took Viking's Romantic Danube in 2012. We chose it because I spent one of my college years in Regensburg, so we couldn't miss it! Also, we were interested in Nuremberg's historical sites, both older and WWII related. Of course, that meant we sailed right past Linz and Bratislava, and I'd love to go back to visit both of them - not to mention revisiting all the cities we did stop at.

We felt that the cruise allowed us just a taste of each city, enough to cause us to want to return! So as others have stated, I'd have your parents study the ports of call and the included and optional excursions for each and then make their decision. The experience on board won't be different.

Thanks!

Cruise was wonderful! We did the pre-cruise excursion to Munich and Salzburg, and it was outstanding. Aboard the ship, service was always excellent, and the food was very good. All of the excursions and tour guides were interesting - we learned a lot. This was our 5th river cruise with Viking; we have loved every one of them.

We just got back from the May 13-20, 2018 Danube Waltz Cruise. As first time cruisers we chose it to get to see a part of Europe we’ve never visited and it was within our budget for first time ever cruisers. We enjoyed the clean accommodation and friendly staff. The included tours were conducted by English speaking guides who did an excellent job. We did not enjoy the only optional event we chose: Heurigen evening of wine tasting. The wine, food and local music was below our expectations.

However, the meals on the ship were very good. The Wachau valley afternoon cruise was memorable. Take your binoculars.

Viking does a great job. We recommend the Danube to first time cruisers.

We had the same decision to make last year - and chose the Waltz because of Bratislava and the Cesky Krumlov excursion. You can't go wrong either way. :)

Cesky Krumlov was one of the highlights of the Waltz last year for us. Our family members did not go because they thought it was too long and paid to bake bread or something. What a mistake! CK is enchanting!