Miner's Museum near Sydney NS - Excellent experience - highly recommended

sprockie

A few weeks ago, we stopped at Sydney N.S. sailing on the Veendam. I just wanted to tell anyone interested what a great experience we had. We rented a car from Enterprise and they picked us up at the pier. We drove to Glace Bay (about 20km away) and toured the Miner's Museum. Our tour was given by retired coal miners and it was extremely interesting a really well done museum. The tour included a trip down in the mine to see how things were done and what the miner's lives were like. The people were all very friendly and I would highly recommend this to anyone. They give you ponchos to wear in the mine, but go with suitable shoes for walking on damp dirt/gravel.

We then drove over to the wharf where the lobster traps and fishermen were preparing for the season and bought 4 lobsters at Pittman's Lobster and they cooked them for us right there. Couldn't get any fresher - they were crawling around the ocean floor a few hours earlier! They were delicious.

We returned the car to Enterprise and they drove us back to the ship. We enjoyed the day a great deal (husband and I and two teens).