Traveling from vancouver to seattle on the train w/overnight stay

dinibo

My in-laws will be taking a cruise with us down from Alaska ending in Vancouver. We will be splitting off from them after the cruise but I am trying to determine the best way to get them from Vancouver to the Seattle airport. The flights out of Seattle are considerably cheaper for them, even when including transportation and overnight hotel stay. They do have mild mobility issues but will be traveling with my SIL who can help with some things.

I am leaning towards having them take the evening Amtrak but I have a few questions that hopefully someone who has done something similar can help with:

1. As the train doesn't leave until 5:45 what would be their best option to store baggage and/or get to the train station? Does anyone know if there are there any day tours they could take that would help store their bags and drop them off at the train? Our ship will be getting in at 7 am if that helps.

2. We are getting in on 9/1 but their flight home is on 9/2. After getting off the train in Seattle any thoughts on the best hotel for them to stay at with a focus on ease of getting to from the train station and preferably with an airport shuttle for them in the morning?

Also, is there anything else I should be thinking about? I was looking into the bus but the train seems both cheaper and less of a problem given that they will have 2 bags and be over the limit for the bus.

Thanks so much!

Just book an airport hotel near SEA - not only will these be cheaper than any comparable downtown hotel, but cab rates to the hotel from King St station will be less expensive late at night when the train arrives, less likely for Uber surge pricing, and for fixed-price car services no difference in price but a quicker drive.

Baggage in Vancouver - leave it at the pier with CDS or upstairs with the Pan Pacific hotel bell staff. The timing for the former is ideal for the train - pick up bags at 4pm, take cab to Pacific Central station, arriving before the 1hr recommended pre-boarding time needed for checking bags, customs & immigration (earlier is also better for getting a seat on the water side).

Tours - postcruise bus tours generally run 4hrs for a city tour, and will drop at the airport or train station or hotels. But they're way too short - your parents would be dumped at the station by 1pm! Longer tours are possible, but they go out of town - so since your parents want to see Vancouver (as mentioned on your prior post) the only viable tour + luggage option is a private tour (kaching!). I'd simply do the bag drop and the HOHO, so they can spend time at various sites if they want to, get off wherever to have lunch, and generally be flexible.

While it's not as scenic as the train (which to be honest, is scenic for only a part of the trip - and they'd want the west side of the train - right side heading south) the Quick Shuttle buses pick up right at the Vancouver cruise terminal and go straight to Seatac airport. http://www.quickcoach.com/

A mid- or late morning departure from Vancouver would put them at Seatac around 4 hours later. They could get a hotel room near the airport, all of which have free shuttles from the terminal, drop their bags, and if they still wanted to see things, they could hop the light rail from the airport and head into the downtown area, maybe for a meal, then return to the airport and their hotel for the night.

As that's Labor Day weekend, things will be busy in the city, but by leaving on the Sunday probably not as bonkers at the airport as it will be the next morning. Still, I'd advise them to get to the check-in counter a good two hours before their flight departs.

We just did the Quick Shuttle from Canada Place to Sea-Tac airport and it was easy as could be. It's not the most comfortable ride but we got there, it's a bus ride what more can I say. The seats were OK it was the long ride I didn't care for, I must be getting old. .

We have done Amtrak to Seattle for a cruise. 2017 Sept.

They will let you check your bags in early at King St. Station. We were in Bus. Class so don't know if that is why? We walked around town from there and came back to wait for the train. It was a long day though! But we did not want to fly or take the bus.

Didn't see any eating places in the area. We arrived in Van. about 11PM or so but live here and went home. Otherwise, a cab to a booked hotel by the pier would be best.

We Loved the train and have it booked return for this Sept. too. About a 4-5 hr trip. We were late by 1 hr going to Seattle due to delays on the track. Customs agents come on board at the Border to check on ID and Passports. Did not take long.

It is so nice to be able to get up and walk around. There is a coffee shop as well to visit. Business Class has 2 comfy seats together with one seat on the other side of the aisle.

Water going from Van. is on the right side of the train. The seats are, flipped for the return trip, so you are facing forward.