Post-Cruise: Sunrise Over Tokyo...Free-3 night Land Program

Booked on the Shanghai to Tokyo cruise on the Mariner..3/28/19. We have never been on any pre or post

cruise land programs with Regent. We have never stayed in any of their selected hotels .We rather do our own hotel

bookings.

The selected hotel in Tokyo is the Tokyo Hilton. Has anyone stayed there and done the Sunrise over Tokyo

post-cruise land program. Are the excursions organized? Are there too many people in the group? What type of

hotel room do we receive. I assume the basic room at the Hilton. Would appreciate any comments.

If we pass on this post-cruise program is there any credit we could receive ?

Booked on the Shanghai to Tokyo cruise on the Mariner..3/28/19. We have never been on any pre or post

cruise land programs with Regent. We have never stayed in any of their selected hotels .We rather do our own hotel

bookings.

The selected hotel in Tokyo is the Tokyo Hilton. Has anyone stayed there and done the Sunrise over Tokyo post-cruise land program.

Yes and No; I can't remember last time Regent did a post-cruise in Tokyo so there might Hilton is very good; although I have only stayed on executive floor (stayed for over a month). It is not the best location for sightseeing; I would definitely pick a different location if touring on your own.

Are the excursions organized? Are there too many people in the group? What type of

hotel room do we receive. I assume the basic room at the Hilton. Would appreciate any comments.

Can't help.

If we pass on this post-cruise program is there any credit we could receive ?

Yes

Answers embedded

Answers embedded

Marq, not sure you are correct about a refund for the "free" (included) post cruise. Several years ago we did a free (included) post cruise in Beijing that was an almost complete disaster. The ship overnighted in Tianjin with many of the staff doing the excursion and staying in the same hotel for the night we were there. Not writing this to rehash the issues but, did write letters to Regent trying to get some sort of reimbursement and even disputed a portion of the cruise with our credit card company. Didn't get any response directly from Regent but, did get a copy of the credit card dispute denial and the key words that were in the denial letter was that since it was a "free" excursion, it had no dollar value and thus they would not provide any refund.

As mrsstanley used the term "free" excursion, am pretty sure there would be no refund just like no refund for missing any of the "free" (included ) on board excursions.

Yes, you can get a credit if you give up the "included" pre/post excursion - I have done this for post Shanghai in 2020.

I have done Sydney (pre-), Angkor Wat (post-), and Changi Mai (post-); I intend to do Athens (pre-) in October and Tokyo (pre-) in 2019. All that I have done were well organized and fun. The hotel arrangements varied from very nice to marvelous.

As Marq noted, the Tokyo Hilton isn't in the "best" tourist area BUT seems enough nearby to fill the free time of the excursion.

We are currently deciding whether or not to take the included (pre)cruise in Tokyo before the cruise to Vancouver or whether to book our stay independently. Regent UK tell us there is not yet a confirmed hotel for the included pre-cruise and have given us a guide price for additional nights if we choose to manage it ourselves and opt for the same hotel as they plan to use. We know Tokyo well and have been several times previously, so we are relaxed at this stage and "will see".....

Our experience with Regent-organised pre-cruise stays has been good, though the programme in Tokyo doesn't excite us (possibly because we're already familiar with the city). As a result, we are most likely to take the credit and make our own arrangements. My point at this stage is, I wouldn't worry too much about the location of an hotel so long as it is near the subway. It's easy to buy a "Suica" card for unlimited subway travel and riding the extraordinarily efficient train system is fun and quite an experience. Finally, don't underestimate the delight of "just being" in Japan...small, everyday activities such as sitting in a coffee shop or making a small purchase in a 7-11 can be rewarding and disproportionately fascinating.

We have done some pre and post cruise excursions. All of them were very well done and we thoroughly enjoyed them. We did post Egypt, pre Beijing, post Angor Wat, post safari in South Africa and have a post safari in SA planned for this Nov/Dec.

We stayed at the Toyko Hilton a couple of years ago and while it was not in the tourist area, it was a wonderful hotel and is close to subway stops so getting around was a breeze. We arranged for a private tour for a couple of days and it all went very well.

We stayed in an Executive floor room and if you get the chance to upgrade to one of them for a reasonable cost i highly recommend doing it.

I finally was told by our TA that we can receive a credit if we don't take the post-3 night Sunrise over Tokyo land program.

I think we may take the credit, book our own hotel and do our own touring.

May I recommend ANA Intercontinental or New Otani? Both are in a more convenient location and the ANA is often the first stop on the express bus to/from the airport.

Marc

PS I am Lifetime Diamond in Hilton and have stayed at Tokyo Hilton in Shinjuku for quite a while; still, for touring, I would choose a location closer to the Imperial Palace.