Alesund?

poss

I was surprised when I did a "search" not to have anything come up for ålesund. I'd've thought it wasn't an obscure port stop. We'll be wanting to explore the little town itself, but I'm wondering what excursion (included) to choose for the afternoon. I'm thinking either of Sunnmoer (sp?) Museum or Atlantic Park Aquarium.

Would be grateful if anyone familiar with both could offer opinion. Is one in a more handsome spot than the other? Are they about equal distance from the port?

Thank you.

DW and I are pretty fond of Alesund (been there 4 times). Its actually a nice place for just walking or even hiking. But our favorite day was when we had a very long post day (from around 7am until 9pm) on the Prinsendam...and we rented a car to drive all the way to Geiranger. That drive meant taking 2 ferries (including a long ferry ride through the breathtaking Geiranger Fjord...and then driving a very picturesque road that took us above the town of Geiranger. It remains our favorite day in Norway....where we have spent quite a few days.

Hank

Thanks for replies. Hallasm: What's the little park-like spot in your video, please?

We're not able to rent car and go on our own as we used to back in the day (way back), so we find the included excursions a great boon. Happily, we'll be moving up and back down Geiranger on the ship (Regent Explorer), as well as taking an excursion up above port of Geiranger to several viewing places.

So: We'll be doing a two hour walking tour of Alesund in the morning and are trying to decide whether Sunnmore or Atlantic Park might be the best bet for a 3 hour afternoon excursion. Hopefully, if we're not too tired, we'll be able to stroll a bit in late afternoon as well, since the ship is in port from 8:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. (so that those who desire can do the long 8 hour Troll Road excursion).

Thanks again. Really looking forward to our first trip to Norway (even though we're essentially warm weather/sunshine people). Oh, that scenery!

We happily spent our entire port call last August in Alesund at the Sunnmore open Air Historic park. Not our original intention, but we found it fascinating, and once we got there, we didn't want to rush through. So we stayed all day. In addition to the many historic wooden buildings in various styles, there are exhibits in the museum about the very early history of the area, and a separate building housing many watercraft typical of the area, including exhibits about how they are constructed. Access was easy on the local bus. The friendly bus driver spoke good English. We had a great time. Highly recommended if you like local history.

Thanks for replies. Hallasm: What's the little park-like spot in your video, please?

Thanks again. Really looking forward to our first trip to Norway (even though we're essentially warm weather/sunshine people). Oh, that scenery!

The park is the Town Park (Byparken) where Mt. Aksla is located - we did not go to the view point.

What is the itinerary for your cruise and time of year?

Alesund has a hopon/off bus that brings you to various spots, as far as I remember also to the Aquairum.. It leaves near the cruise terminal. Of course it also goes also to the best vciewpoint on top of Mt. Aksla.

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/66/alesund/71/hop-on-hop-off-alesund

Is that 32 euros per person? If so, seems really expensive for 8 stops.

Maybe it krone.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/EXP180624/summary

June 24- July 6 2018. Copenhagen-Oslo. Regent Explorer

Thanks to responders!

Very interesting itinerary - also good chances for midnight sun.

Enjoy you cruise.

Is that 32 euros per person? If so, seems really expensive for 8 stops.

Maybe it krone.

It is EUR not kroner!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It will probably be about 300 krone. Norway is expensive!

Indeed, I also see a price (online) of US$ 39.65 per person.

There is another alternative, this small touristic train that runs only in the morning. Limited route but it goes to Mt. Aksla. Costs Krone 195,- http://www.bytoget.no/home.html

In case you have plenty of time in Alesund (our ship was docked from 8 am till 11 pm), consider renting a car. We did the amazing drive roundtrip drive to Trollstigen, It was almost 400 kms, with a lot of stops we returned in Alesund around 5 pm. We prebooked a car at Avis, office 10 minutes walk from the cruiseterminal. Cost was only about E. 120 plus gas.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the aquarium last summer on our cruise. We chose it because we were traveling with kids who love all animals. While it was a great place to visit with the kids, unless you really love aquariums, I wouldn't recommend it for most adults. There were tour buses dropping off groups of adults, but my parents and myself agreed we wouldn't visit it if it weren't for the kids. If you do decide to visit though, make sure you look for what time the hands on room is open. This was the most interesting part of the museum for all of us. There were animals to touch and feed and it was fun to watch all of the kids, including a group of Norwegian preschoolers.

We visited the aquarium last summer on our cruise. We chose it because we were traveling with kids who love all animals. While it was a great place to visit with the kids, unless you really love aquariums, I wouldn't recommend it for most adults.

We have a great aquarium where I live (and you also have a good one near you in Chicago). I visited an aquarium in Osaka when I was there. I realized if you have access to good aquariums, a lot of the sights look the same regardless, where you are. I wish I had skipped the one I went to in Osaka as the one back home was just as good and unless you are really into fish, you probably wouldn't know the difference between the two.

You are right, kids would enjoy it.