Madiera Botanical Gardens worth visiting?

We are thinking about taking a ship tour to visit the Madiera Botanical Gardens in April.

Read some reviews on Trip Advisor. Not very positive. .

The tour also includes the Monte Cable Car and Sledge ride down for $99.

is the Botanical Gardens worth visiting? unkempt, no birds or animals, noise from road traffic, plants not labeled, tree's burnt from forest fires, and bad winter storm.....

We have taken two holidays in Madeira the first time we visited the Monte palace gardens (December) and the second the Botanical gardens (May) we would not revisit the Botanical gardens, slightly preferred the Monte Palace even though it was colder when we went there. The Presidential gardens which are on the edge of town (free) were prettier better kept and had lovely views from, although not as large as either of the other two gardens.

If I were just going for the day would probably say it is not worth going to the botanical gardens and think there is more to see in Madeira.

We took a private tour West coast and went on the glass walkway over the cliff and then went up to the top of mountains which was worth seeing we stopped at several towns and villages on the way, the hop on hop off bus was good and the centre of Funchal for me would be better than the botanical gardens.

Don't. Instead, I would say take a small Mini-bus or Taxi-van as far West as you can afford. Gorgeous viewpoints and twisty roads and lanes and a lunch perhaps??. I simply hired a nice local Taxi guy. He knew what we want to see. THEN you can say you've seen Madeira. Nice.

I think it is worth taking the cable car and doing the toboggan ride down, but not worth doing a ship tour. Just take yourselves. You can walk to the cable car or take the shuttle bus part of the way. Then just buy a ticket and off you go. Join the line for the toboggan. At the bottom, taxis will be waiting which will take you into town, perhaps to the flower market.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are thinking about taking a ship tour to visit the Madiera Botanical Gardens in April.

Read some reviews on Trip Advisor. Not very positive. .

The tour also includes the Monte Cable Car and Sledge ride down for $99.

is the Botanical Gardens worth visiting? unkempt, no birds or animals, noise from road traffic, plants not labeled, tree's burnt from forest fires, and bad winter storm.....

We visited tropical garden, which was beautiful. Such nice and peaceful place...

We took city bus to tropical garden, spent couple of hours there, took cable car to Monte, from Monte took city bus back to city and enjoy Madeira wine tasting at Blandy...

The Tropical gardens at the top of the cable car are much better and worth a visit - but can be confused with the Botanical gardens which are different and separate.

It's very easy to take the Cable Car to the top to Monte and then walk to the Tropical gardens. There is also the beautiful church there to see too.