San Francisco at last!

Hello! I am hoping I have posted this in the correct area - if not please let me know and I will resubmit.

We are off on the Grand Princess April 14 from San Francisco for 15 nights with one night pre-cruise at Parc 55. When we return we are spending four nights at the Argonaut Hotel Fisherman's Wharf area.

We have a few questions we are hoping some more experienced West Coast travellers/residents will help us with. Many thanks!

1. I have been looking at a Hop on / Hop off bus that also included Alcatraz - a must for my husband - there is a one day and a two day pass. Your thoughts - one day enough or two day? We aren't super big tourist people but do like to see the different areas and were thinking this would be a good way to do that.

Also is it necessary to pre-book?

2. Sonoma/Napa - we love wine and have spent a lot of time touring the Niagara wine areas and are wondering if we should spend a day doing the Sonoma/Napa area? Don't really like the idea of being on a bus for a day but it seems the best way to see that area. Again, is there any advantage in pre-booking?

3. Any other suggestions? We mostly want to walk about and enjoy the sights but are open to any suggestions.

Again, our thanks!!!

Alcatraz must be done in advance, so make sure to get it booked early.

Also, the Napa / Sonoma area had a pretty devastating fire go through there. Many of the wineries have been impacted, probably need a bit of research to make sure you are not going somewhere charred.

The closest "redwoods" are in Muir Woods which, if I understand recent changes correctly, now require a reservation for parking. How tour companies are handling this is below my pay grade. Sausalito is on the way.

However, 9/22 is a Saturday and this time of year is the highest of "high season" for perfect weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can also find redwoods South of the city, but they are just "wild" and not made into a park. Head South, through Pacifica and further down the coast, once you hit Half Moon Bay, turn left.

I suggest you DO take the bus for the Napa wine tour. I LOVE Napa. That way you can enjoy the wine tastings and you don't have to drive!

Many NorCal wine enthusiasts prefer Sonoma and Mendocino to Napa. Mendo in a day not really doable from SF but worth a trip in itself (stay at the Albion River Inn and visit, at least, Navarro Winery.

Sonoma is a far better choice than Napa for the quick trip from SF. Best choices for only two stops there: Martin Ray and Seghesio.

Many NorCal wine enthusiasts prefer Sonoma and Mendocino to Napa. Mendo in a day not really doable from SF but worth a trip in itself (stay at the Albion River Inn and visit, at least, Navarro Winery.

Sonoma is a far better choice than Napa for the quick trip from SF. Best choices for only two stops there: Martin Ray and Seghesio.

Funny. You correctly say Mendocino is really not a day trip, but recommend a winery (Seghesio) which is almost in Mendocino County. Was just there two weeks ago, their wine is excellent. There are many great wineries 30 minutes sooner in Sonoma Valley.

Funny. You correctly say Mendocino is really not a day trip, but recommend a winery (Seghesio) which is almost in Mendocino County. Was just there two weeks ago, their wine is excellent. There are many great wineries 30 minutes sooner in Sonoma Valley.

Yes, Seghesio is a stretch but the epitome of Zinfandel is worth the extra miles. Also, Martin Ray is close in (Santa Rosa). These two are really a great example of what Sonoma offers.