Smartest Cruise Line for Alaskascan Trips, or the Best Way, Best Trip to Alaska...?

We have heard that trips, voyages to Alaska can be varied, some are 1 way, some aye both ways, some are from Seattle and some from Vancouver..., so form the people who have done this trip:

what cruise line was the best for you?

what was best for younger fmailies?

what may have been a time where the waters well less-rough (time or season of year)?

what intinerery did you pick?

was 1 way or both ways good ro offered?

what port excrussion was the best and ones to avoid?

what tour oeperators did you use, if any?

anything else about to tell us we'd love to know.

T H A N K Y O U T H A N K Y O U T H A N K Y O U

We have heard that trips, voyages to Alaska can be varied, some are 1 way, some aye both ways, some are from Seattle and some from Vancouver..., so form the people who have done this trip:

what cruise line was the best for you?

what was best for younger fmailies?

what may have been a time where the waters well less-rough (time or season of year)?

what intinerery did you pick?

was 1 way or both ways good ro offered?

what port excrussion was the best and ones to avoid?

what tour oeperators did you use, if any?

anything else about to tell us we'd love to know.

T H A N K Y O U T H A N K Y O U T H A N K Y O U

Wow, you have asked a ton of questions, lets see if I can help.

I have cruised to Alaska 5 times and am booked again in April 2010. I have gone with 4 different cruise lines. The only major port I have not visited is Whitter/Seward (Anchorage) and minor port not visited is Kodiak.

When cruising to Alaska expect unparalleled beauty but don't expect great weather. If you get good weather, and I have had great weather a couple of times, treat it as a bonus. I prefer the smaller unspoiled ports like Haines and Icy Strait Point. The major ports that are visited are Juneau, Skagway and Ketichkan. The 5 and 7 day cruises will visit those ports some may go to Sitka and leave out Skagway.

If this is your first time I would look at either an Inside Passage or Voyage of the Glaciers. One is up and back, the other is a one way. If you go one way you can then take a cruisetour to the interior of Alaska. I have never done that. There are generally 3 kinds of shore excursions available in Alaska, sightseeing, history and physical activity. I have done them all, from a history walk in Skagway to the Ziprider in Icy Strait. No one will find nothing to do. I consider the Alaska State Museum in Juneau a must, the some exhibits are permanent and some change. the whole town of Skagway has been declared a National heritage Site and many of the building are now restored to as they were in 1898. At sometime you must take an excursion up the White Pass to see what the gold seekers went through.

If you are going through the Canadian Inside Passage the seas will be smooth. If you go up or back on the West Coast of Vancouver Island expect rougher seas but nothing like the North Atlantic if you have ever done a Canada New England cruise. The roughest seas although nothing major in my opinion, will be in Queen Charlotte sound and particularly in Hecate Strait, the ocean is very shallow in Hecate Strait which causes it to be a little rougher.

I hope this is helpful. I don't think you will regret going to Alaska, so long as you are looking for beauty, history and activity. It is not lying on the deck in the sun like the Caribbean or Mexico, but you will still find a Diamonds International on every street corner in the major ports which is why I like the smaller unspoiled ports.

Last year was my first trip to Alaska, a Princess cruisetour starting in Fairbanks, then Denali, McKinley, Kenai, & boarding the ship in Whittier. We then cruised College Fjord & Glacier Bay, & visited Skagway, Juneau, & Ketchikan. Go on the train in Skagway(we went with Chilkoot) or rent a car to drive into the Yukon, go whale watching in Juneau with Orca Enterprises or Harv & Marv, & go flightseeing in Ketchikan to Misty Fiords with Island Wings. It was to be my once in a lifetime trip, but I had such a wonderful time, I'm going round trip out of Seattle in May. You need to research the ports & excursions to determine what is of interest to you and choose the itinerary that fits best. Budget may effect your decision between round trip or oneway due to the added airfare. Keep reading all the comments on this board & you will learn most of what you need to know.

Cruises to/from Vancouver will generally take the Canadian Inside Passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland. It is quite scenic

Cruises to/from Seattle will generally take the open ocean west of Vancouver Island.

Look at a map of BC/Alaska. As you prolly know as a "local" the Inside Passage is the water between Vancouver Island and the BC mainland. Vancouver sailings usually use IP. Ships out of Seattle go on the west (ocean) side of Vancouver Island.

You should browse the Alaska board and post your questions there. Not telling you to "bug off" at all.....the knowledge and answers to your questions are concentrated on that board.

Archived