Romantic Cruise from Los Angeles & is Cabo safe?

1happyfam

Ahoy experts!

Thinking of a 3-4 night cruise from Los Angeles. Looking for any suggestions on most romantic cruise line/ship and safe destinations. We were thinking of flying to Cabo but I think a cruise would be less expensive and more relaxing. Also, have read some safety warnings on Cabo,so any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Cabo is perfectly fine and a nice place to enjoy.

Like any area be more careful at night but I would say that about most USA cities.

I am not sure what lines sail this for such a short duration but hopefully someone will know.

Keith

Ahoy experts!

Thinking of a 3-4 night cruise from Los Angeles. Looking for any suggestions on most romantic cruise line/ship and safe destinations. We were thinking of flying to Cabo but I think a cruise would be less expensive and more relaxing. Also, have read some safety warnings on Cabo,so any feedback would be great. Thanks!

I also think the cruise would be more romantic than flying.

Thank you @Keith1010 . I read a warning for Los Cabos and with lots of negative talk about Mexico it has me slightly hesitant. But I do know most people say Cabo is safe. And I agree about nighttime!

@Clarea I agree! A room with a balcony is a must for romantic nights! Will have to check sailing weather for November but I am sure it is fine.

If anyone has done this trip and can recommend a favorite line that would be great!

I have never felt unsafe in Cabo...

My general advice with any Mexican port...and even many ports in lots of places...is to stick to the tourist areas...Do Shore Excursions through the cruise line or with known, reputable providers.

I've been to Cabo a couple of times in the past couple of years--both with Princess. We did a 5 night cruise back in November 2015 that just went to Cabo--got there early afternoon one day and left early afternoon the next. Then, over this past Christmas, we did an 8 night Mexican Riviera Cruise on Princess that stopped in Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo...Very nice cruise. We did Princess Shore Excursions in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo...but, in Cabo, we just walked around town on our own--shopping, etc. As I've said, we felt very safe in Cabo in the tourist shopping area. The time prior, we did a Shorex to San Jose del Cabo...also, no problems....

Aside from Princess, Carnival (who we won't cruise on anymore, but it works for some people) goes regularly to the Mexican Riviera. HAL and NCL also do some Mexican cruises from the West Coast at times...HAL typically from San Diego--and some of theirs do ports in the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez)...

I think Princess is the only one for whom I've noticed the 5 night Cabo only cruises. But, personally, I'd recommend doing a Princess 7 nighter to Cabo, Mazatlan and PV....PV is a longtime favorite of mine--and I love visiting the tequila distilleries.

Good luck...

Ahoy experts!

How safe do you think you are in Los Angeles?:)

Take a 7 day cruise instead of a 3-4 day cruise, and you can go to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. The 3-4 day cruises out of LA or San Diego do NOT go to Cabo...their only Mexican port would be Ensenada, which is not very romantic. Sea of Cortez locations (Loreto, La Paz, etc.) usually require a 10 day cruise from California. Personally, I am not a big fan of Cabo. Too commercial, way too touristy, etc. If you want romantic, I would fly into Cabo, but instead of staying there, consider nearby San Jose de Cabo or Todos Santos.

I prefer Puerto Vallarta as a cruise port, but if I am not going on a cruise, I head to the Zihautanejo area. Lots of romantic hotels there, and much less commercial and touristy.

The option of just flying to LA and then taking the boat to Catalina for a few days is also good, unless you absolutely have to go to Mexico for some reason. You don't mention where you will be flying from though.

Thank you all for great input. Live in LA so flying or cruising out of there. Thought the idea of leaving from San Diego is a great option I didn't think of. Because live in LA have we done Catalina and most drivable places. Might have to see if we can wait till we can do a longer cruise as the Mexican Riviera sounds nice.

Please keep the ideas coming!

Thank you all for great input. Live in LA so flying or cruising out of there. Thought the idea of leaving from San Diego is a great option I didn't think of. Because live in LA have we done Catalina and most drivable places. Might have to see if we can wait till we can do a longer cruise as the Mexican Riviera sounds nice.

Please keep the ideas coming!

I think Princess is a great option, and if you tell them it is for a special occasion, they will usually decorate your door.