Advice: When done Universal..what can we do??

1newf1not

HI!!!!

We are taking in Universal Studios after our cruise :) I guess the place closes at 6pm?? Was wondering...any suggestions as to what we can do after that?? (not too too far away) We have a rental car...and our hotel is near LAX :)

Can we drive somewhere and kinda tour around or is it darl and not so friendly etc?

We leave the next day.....so gotta gets LOTS IN!! :)

Just outside of Universal (before the parking lot) is Universal Walk. Its got restaurants, even one with bull riding, shops, theaters. Its an event/destination in itself. I believe if you go to their website you can read about it. They usually have some kind of live entertainment outside too. You could easily spend a few hours there.

Just outside of Universal (before the parking lot) is Universal Walk. Its got restaurants, even one with bull riding, shops, theaters. Its an event/destination in itself. I believe if you go to their website you can read about it. They usually have some kind of live entertainment outside too. You could easily spend a few hours there.

Yep, I'd say that's the best option:

http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/index.html

Another option would be to try to get tickets to that night's taping of the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. NBC Studios is pretty close by. The problem might be that they want you to queue up earlier than you'd like. I'm not sure when exactly.

Yep, I'd say that's the best option:

http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/index.html

Another option would be to try to get tickets to that night's taping of the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. NBC Studios is pretty close by. The problem might be that they want you to queue up earlier than you'd like. I'm not sure when exactly.

The Leno show films at 4:30 every Monday-Friday. But, you actually have to arrive by about 2:30ish. I really recommend the City Walk suggestion. It's really amazing, with lots to see. There is also a HUGE movie theater there in case you'd like to catch a movie.

You can take the Metro Red Line subway to Hollywood.

Leave the car at Universal (you'll have a hard time finding parking in Hollywood) and take the free shuttle bus at Universal down the hill to the Red Line Universal Station. From there take the subway to the Hollywood/Highland station (use the "going to Union Station" side of the platform, not the "North Hollywood" one). The subway costs $1.25 for a one way trip and takes about 5 minutes to go from Universal to Hollywood. You'll be in the middle of Hollywood - Kodak Theatre, El Capitan Theatre and Grauman's Chinese Theatre plus the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It might get a little weird but it's always entertaining and pretty safe.

You can do the reverse going back to Universal. Here is a link to the Red Line subway schedule. Just put in "Universal" as your starting point and "Hollywood" as your destination. http://metro.net/default.asp

I would be nervous about recommending the metro system is someone unfamiliar with Los Angeles. Especially concerning the Hollywood area. If somehow they miss getting off at the right stop,they may end up in an unsafe (yes, even more unsafe than Hollywood) area.

I would definitely try City Walk, which is on the hill next to Universal Studios (make sure you get your parking ticket validated). It has a variety of restaurants, shops, clubs (my last high school reunion was at one of them), the interesting fountain... (if the UCLA store is still there, buy a tee shirt).

I would be nervous about recommending the metro system is someone unfamiliar with Los Angeles. Especially concerning the Hollywood area. If somehow they miss getting off at the right stop' date='they may end up in an unsafe (yes, even more unsafe than Hollywood) area...[/quote']

Ummm. I don't believe taking the subway for one stop from Universal is that "unsafe" .

If you take the subway in the wrong direction you'll end up at the North Hollywood terminus station. Not much to do there but it's pretty well lit, wide open and safe.

If you miss the Hollywood/Highland stop, the next stop after that is the Hollywood/Vine station. At Hollywood/Vine you can see the Capitol Records Tower, Henry Fonda Theatre and Pantages Theatre among other sights.

Generally, if you are in the Hollywood area around the subway stations it's pretty safe. There will be many tourists and lots of stores (some bizarre and plenty with cheap souvenirs). City Walk, on the other hand, is clean and sanitized - stores with overpriced goods and typical of large-scale modern shopping malls. I guess the choice is, do you want to visit a fancy shopping mall or do you want to experience Hollywood?

Archived