Low sodium in dining room?

puggylicious

Yes...just call your cruiseline's "special needs" dept. and let them know of your dietary requirements.

O.K. thanks, that is good to know. Have you personally done this? If so was it basically the same food that is on the menu, just minus added salt?

Seems my blood pressure is rather high.

Have you checked into what foods you can be/should be eating? There are many choices on a cruise and in real life - you can absolutely eat to lower your BP. Fresh choices are usually the best (lots of salads and vegetables without dressings and sauces, fresh fruit, etc.).

Have you looked into a low sodium eating plan? There is good information online and in your local library.

Have you been put on any medication(s)?

Also, no disrespect intended but losing weight is a huge factor in reducing high BP. I recently lost 49 pounds and my BP is way lower now. It's been an overall health improvement. My doctor and I are very pleased. :)

Have you checked into what foods you can be/should be eating? There are many choices on a cruise and in real life - you can absolutely eat to lower your BP. Fresh choices are usually the best (lots of salads and vegetables without dressings and sauces, fresh fruit, etc.).

Have you looked into a low sodium eating plan? There is good information online and in your local library.

Have you been put on any medication(s)?

Also, no disrespect intended but losing weight is a huge factor in reducing high BP. I recently lost 49 pounds and my BP is way lower now. It's been an overall health improvement. My doctor and I are very pleased. :)

I have been doing a lot research and have found some very good information on-line. I plan on reducing my blood pressure through diet and excercise. I am not on medication yet and hope to keep it that way. I see the doctor tomorrow. My concern is that in the main dining room it may not be so easy to control the sodium. Thank you for your reply.

The government researcher who did the study on salt admitted on the TV show 20/20 that he cooked the books and made salt come out bad in his study. He probably admitted it because in 1996 a huge study on salt was published in the New England journal of Medicine. The last line of that study said "Unless you are a black male with a very rare form of high blood pressure, salt has no affect on high blood pressure. If you research the subject on the INTERNET you may find the heading on the latest Parliament from the Government Health Department in England making fun of the Americans crazy actions on salt. I personally counted 30 different studies saying salt was fine for you. Most doctors are just too busy to read up on all the newest subjects.:):)

• 7 years later...