RSS Included excursions

U&R from CH

Being booked for the cruise with Explorer from LA to Miami (Panama Canal) on March 9/2019, we started booking the included excursions on August 2 and were confronted with the fact that several were already sold out - 7 full months in advance. Of course this is very disappointing and we wonder whether this is always like this with these so-called included excursions? Did anyone else experience the same? Could it be that big TAs get assigned large contingencies in advance, thus leaving the smaller TAs behind?

Maybe, you know more about it...

Being booked for the cruise with Explorer from LA to Miami (Panama Canal) on March 9/2019, we started booking the included excursions on August 2 and were confronted with the fact that several were already sold out - 7 full months in advance. Of course this is very disappointing and we wonder whether this is always like this with these so-called included excursions? Did anyone else experience the same? Could it be that big TAs get assigned large contingencies in advance, thus leaving the smaller TAs behind?

Many similar reports on CC All depends on when your booked category is able to book excursions. Also lots of reports of additional busses being added to take care of people on wait list. Recommend phoning Regent and getting on wait list for those you want and hopefully you will clear for your chosen excursions(s). Don't believe it has anything to do with TA's. Many book right at midnite when they are able in order to get chosen excursions. Think of those below Concierge who book after you were able.

Good advice to get on the wait list. We have always had good luck with space opening up. You may not know until you are on board, but there is always a high likelihood that space will become available. Happy sailing!

Similar problem on our cruise scheduled in Africa in December. My husband was up at 6:00 am, time their shore excursions opened for our cabin category opened. About 1/2 hour later he came back to tell me that ALL our selections, for most of which there was an additional charge anyway*, Er sold out. When I caked to complain, they said well, the higher priced cabins had had access to these bookings for 60 days, and what did I expect. At these prices, there’s nothing like being treated like steerage. So we spent an entire weekend try g to book tours ourselves. now eventually they did open up some other tours, and we were able to fill in. Interestingly this as not really advertised and I discovered it by fluke.. But had we not had other reservations (eg ROVOS RAIL to Victoria Falls) and court calendars cleared we would have cancelled the whole thing. I’m still concerned about whether we’re going to be treated like second class citizens once on board

You will be treated no differently on board, perhaps with the exception of the few highest level suites. As stated earlier, there will be a high level of excursion cancellations once you are on board, just check with the Excursion Desk.

We have often found excursions we like have been booked before our turn in the hierarchy despite being Gold. We always ask to be put on wait list and invariably we get on them, often before sailing. I suspect Regent only book a few excursions for each itinerary and then book others when they become full.

Think we pretty much have our shore excursions worked out. Finally. But this is the first time we’ve sailed with Regent, and it was the angst of the whole thing. We spent an entire weekend trying to book our own excursions. No one told us they would probably open up more. And why do it that way! It made us feel like steerage, and at these prices I don’t think we should. We nearly cancelled the whole thing, and probably would have except for the ancillary stuff we’d already booked.

Sorry booking excursions was not a good experience, but you will be very happy once on board. Most of us get on line the minute the excursions open up. I haven’t been in higher suites and had no problems getting what I wanted. Enjoy.

Also sorry to hear about your less than positive experience. I can tell you that TA's have nothing whatsoever to do with booking excursions. As has been said, the key is to book excursions the minute they are available which many times could mean very late at night or super early in the morning.

Once people get onboard and take an excursion or two, they may start canceling as so many passengers tend to overbook themselves and end up needing a day of rest. We have booked excursions on your cruise and will likely end up cancelling one or two - depending upon the weather and how long the excursions are.

The odds are very positive that you will get the excursions that you want.

Thanks. We did get online the instant we could. Unfortunately, we forgot east coast/west coast time differential. But even still my husband was online first thing in the morning. And we were told the problem was not that we hadn’t gotten up early enough but that they were long gone to the higher category suites. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. But everyone seems so reassuring.

I’m thinking we’ve got everything covered at this point, but still distracted by fire damage and insurance problems, coupled with organizing hospital release (been here three weeks now) with aftercare.

Will check things out later this weeks. But I really appreciate the info from you more experienced regent passengers. We tend to sail Oceania and Seaborne.

The problem with having early reservations for passengers in concierge and above suites as well as Silver level Seven Seas Society Members and above is that it is at least 80% of the passengers. Most passengers on Regent are Silver (21 nights) and above and there are not many suites that are not concierge and above.

I remember when Regent implemented the concierge level suites and priority dining and excursion reservations. It made sense at the time because on the older ships (Mariner, Navigator and Voyager), all of the suites below PH level are the exact same size (exception is the few suites are the Navigator that do not have balconies). Regent was having difficulty selling the same size suites at different prices and needed something to entice passengers to book the higher categories so they started the "concierge" program. Unfortunately, they took away the pre-cruise hotel night when the program was rolled out.

The reason it no longer makes sense is twofold:

1. Most suites have been changed to be concierge suites so there are few suites that are not and people booking those suites have difficulty booking excursions and dining reservations.

2. Explorer (and soon Splendor) do have differences in suite and balcony size in the lowest category suites so there is no need for try and sell category levels "E" and "D".

It might make more sense to do away with concierge level suites on the older ships and simply charge more based on location of the suites. In terms of the newer ships, passengers have several choices of suite size, balcony size, etc. The Explorer F1/F2 suites (non-concierge) are the exact size as the Concierge suite - except for a small difference in balcony size so, In my opinion, the concierge level is pointless.

Sorry to get into the technicalities of the suites. It has been confusing even to long time passengers (especially on Explorer when Regent changed the suite categories around several months after it was launched...... I still remember what the suites were and am disappointed to see what they are now).

S & R - It appears as if you're looking for reasons to be unhappy.

We're on the 2/1/2019 sailing of the wait listed Explorer. As a SSS silver level, shore excursions could be booked 240 days out. We were online within a few minutes of midnight Eastern and booked every excursion desired.

I think we get to book the dining venues a few days early too. Be flexible with days and times, and all will work out.

Advice - Spend more time with RSSC to become a Silver, Gold, etc., and enjoy the benefits.

I disagree that anyone on this thread is looking for a reason to be unhappy. These. posters are new to Regent and have every right to expect a better experience than what they have experienced.

The fact that you are Silver Seven Seas Society members and I am Titanium really doesn't help people that are new. Yes - you or I can book any excursion that we want at midnight 240 days prior to the cruise but these posters cannot. This is an issue that is coming up more and more.

Even those of us that have priority booking can miss out on an excursion or dining reservation if you go online just a few hours late. Just last week I forgot to make a dining reservation at midnight (9:00 p.m. our time) and went online the next morning only to find that all sea days were booked unless you want to dine at 9:00 p.m. We were able to find two night to book but had to really look. Can you imagine what it will be like for passengers that do not have priority reservations?

In my opinion, newbies should not have to be "flexible with days and times" when they go to book dining reservations (unless they fail to go online at midnight like I did). What kind of a message does this give to people new to Regent?

Okay - off of my soapbox now but do want to say that the main reason that we no longer sail on Oceania is their "class system" (early boarding - booking rules for excursions and dining and special areas that only top suite guests can visit).

Regent, Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea are suppose to be luxury cruise lines and their guests should not be subjected to the rules that Regent has set forth. First come - first served should be the policy for boarding, excursion and dining reservations!

Saildude: not looking for reasons to be unhappy. Quite the opposite. But seems I’m not the only one a little unhappy with this particular problem. Admittedly this is our first time on regent, but we’ve done a lot of cruising on small ships. Regent was supposed to be the op of the line, but it isn’t if you’re treated like a second class citizen. And it sounds like the competition is building even amongst those of silver, titanium, or whatever.

Travel at 2: I’m surprised you mention having similar difficulties on Oceania. We’ve done multiple trips on them, and, with exception of top class suites have booked whole range of cabins. Irrespective of cabin class, never experienced problems.

As to this, we eventually worked out our shore excursions, some on our own. It was just a shock to find everything gone.

Saildude: not looking for reasons to be unhappy. Quite the opposite. But seems I’m not the only one a little unhappy with this particular problem. Admittedly this is our first time on regent, but we’ve done a lot of cruising on small ships. Regent was supposed to be the op of the line, but it isn’t if you’re treated like a second class citizen. And it sounds like the competition is building even amongst those of silver, titanium, or whatever.

Travel at 2: I’m surprised you mention having similar difficulties on Oceania. We’ve done multiple trips on them, and, with exception of top class suites have booked whole range of cabins. Irrespective of cabin class, never experienced problems.

As to this, we eventually worked out our shore excursions, some on our own. It was just a shock to find everything gone.

For clarification - there is no competition building amongst different levels of the Seven Seas Society. I just felt that our status (silver or titanium or whatever) isn't going to help people that are new to Regent and therefore it is pretty much a non-issue (other than the fact that most people are silver and above and therefore get to book excursions and dining reservations before anyone else.

As an aside, we have cruised Oceania twice - the Riviera - once in a PH suite and once in a Vista suite. I did not like how boarding was done and really disliked the "Concierge" and "Executive Lounge" that so many passengers could not enter (this is typical of mainstream cruise lines and some premium cruise lines but I feel that Oceania is better than that). The fact that you have to show your key card when purchasing drinks (even when you have the package) is a nuisance and their "pours" are thimble size. The two things that we love about Oceania is the upper suites (specifically the Vista suite) and Jacques.

While I have said that the purchase of Regent by NCLH has not hurt the product, I now question why mainstream cruise line policies are sneaking into their luxury product. It is more than a bit frustrating.

In terms of dining reservations, unfortunately, the same issue will likely happen. However, Regent insures that everyone on board the ship gets at least one opportunity to dine in each specialty restaurant. I recommend booking whatever you can online and then changing it once you get onboard.

Thanks for the tips. We have learned some of that traveling Oceania, which has a guarantee. The only problem is when. 9:00;is probably going to piss off the good humor man. On the other hand, doing without specialty dining is no the end of the world. We, too, love Jacques, and usually manage to worm our way in at least four times on any of their cruises more than 14 days with a little flexibility. We also love Seaborne 24/7 caviar. There must be people who eat more than we do, but not sure how.

Really looking forward to meeting you at the meet and mingle.

I am not an experienced ‘cruiser’ by any means and only have a couple (with another ‘luxury’ company) under my belt .... all my sea time has been at the business end of things.

I am looking for another luxury cruise for 2020 and a couple from Regent feature on my short list because of specific ports of call, but from reading this and other threads it appears to me that if you are in a sub-concierge suite then the chances of getting the included excursion of your choice could be quite limited? Is this correct? If so then to me that is a deal breaker. Yes I agree that something might turn up once on board but ......

Sent from the magic box!

I am not an experienced ‘cruiser’ by any means and only have a couple (with another ‘luxury’ company) under my belt .... all my sea time has been at the business end of things.

I am looking for another luxury cruise for 2020 and a couple from Regent feature on my short list because of specific ports of call, but from reading this and other threads it appears to me that if you are in a sub-concierge suite then the chances of getting the included excursion of your choice could be quite limited? Is this correct? If so then to me that is a deal breaker. Yes I agree that something might turn up once on board but ......

Sent from the magic box!

I'm not sure i agree with the below concierge patrons getting a raw deal, it maybe depends on different factors. i.e. the higher suite passengers choosing an included excursion just because they can and then throwing them away at the last minute just because it doesn't suit them. Also there is the fact that people have different likes and dislikes in what they would want to chose to see at any port of call.

Anyway,we have mostly stayed in a concierge suite (this sounds like i am contradicting myself) but we have every time got the excursions we wanted. I think maybe twice we have gone down the night before to hand in tickets as we realised that we couldn't do the tours so others could benefit from them.It is worthwhile going down to the lounge in the morning of the tour you are looking at as I'm sure there will be availability on the day.

Hope whatever you chose you will have fun.

Pam.

Sent from the magic box!

My own experience as someone who had booked a suite below the level of concierge, which does not have early booking privileges for excursions, has been the polar opposite of those people who have had difficulty in getting the excursions they wanted. I could not get on to the web site to book our excursions at midnight EST on the magic day since I was in the wilds of North West Scotland with no wifi or phone signal. I only managed to book about 8 hours after the opening but had no problems whatsoever. I would imagine I was lucky as the cruise was not full and maybe the percentage of people with early booking privileges was lower.

It does seem a little strange that so many people have early booking entitlement. If it is 80% of passengers then I don't see the value to both prime suite occupants and very loyal customers as the benefit to them is diluted whilst at the same time making it more difficult for a small group of newcomers who are trying the brand by booking a 'standard' suite. Like many on here have said once on board there seems to be little or no differentiation based upon which suite you have chosen so why differentiate against a small group in the booking process? To me it makes sense to reduce the proportion of cruisers who can book early, perhaps with a view to rewarding loyalty more? That sid I am a complete newbie so what do I know:)

I had anticipated that we might not get the excursions we wished for but I had rationalised this by thinking that we would have got a satisfactory set of tours on board. If not then Regent SS would have lost a customer for the future. They really would not want that. I also know that there will be ports where we will do our own independent thing anyway.

I will take the same approach to reservations in the speciality restaurants which we cannot book for a few more weeks. I may not get the dates and times we would like but it is not going to throw me into the depths of despair. An hour or so later or earlier is not going to detract from our eagerly awaited cruise.

The reviews I have read on here and the incredibly helpful advice from regular Regent SS cruisers make me feel very comfortable that our investment is going to be very worthwhile indeed.

Sent from the magic box!

Excursions that become full have a wait-list. It does not matter what suite category you are in - what does matter is where you are on the waiting list. Bottom line is that Regent does not "clear" waitlisted excursions based on anything except the wait list and the odds are quite good that you will get the excursions that you wish.

Our experience is that the excursions are very soon sold out specially for those ports of call where the ship is tendering, thus making sure to get off the ship early. In the meantime we succeeded in getting one more excursion and being put on the waitlist for the second one missing. But it needed some insisting. But as I stated, we did not book immediately after the booking procedure was opened for the concierge suites.

In the meantime we decided to stay on the ship for the following TA to Lisbon and again were late for booking. But this time we got most of the chosen excursions. How it will be for the lower categories, I don't know. However, RSS advertises that the excursions are included, which is misleading if one cannot book them later. Specially, as there are no other possibilities for booking from the ship. One must then find some private arrangements which in my opinion means: Paying twice for the same thing!

Our experience is that the excursions are very soon sold out specially for those ports of call where the ship is tendering, thus making sure to get off the ship early. In the meantime we succeeded in getting one more excursion and being put on the waitlist for the second one missing. But it needed some insisting. But as I stated, we did not book immediately after the booking procedure was opened for the concierge suites.

In the meantime we decided to stay on the ship for the following TA to Lisbon and again were late for booking. But this time we got most of the chosen excursions. How it will be for the lower categories, I don't know. However, RSS advertises that the excursions are included, which is misleading if one cannot book them later. Specially, as there are no other possibilities for booking from the ship. One must then find some private arrangements which in my opinion means: Paying twice for the same thing!

Again, excursions have nothing to do with "lower categories" other than when you are eligible to book excursions. We have booked a cruise late and were wait-listed for almost everything but they did come through.

Regent advertises included excursions but their website (rssc.com) also states that they can be limited to a certain number of passengers. When/if the situation can be solved by adding buses, Regent will do that but this is not possible in every port. At each port there are enough excursions to accommodate anyone that wants to take them. However, if 500 passengers want the same excursion, it can be an issue. For us, if there are too many buses going to the same places, we cancel the excursion. Although Regent has the buses take different routes and visit places at different times, it does not always work out. We have been at a restroom stop with 2 stalls for women and 4-5 busloads of passengers. Also, while trying to accommodate all of the buses, we have had a wine tasting at 9:30 a.m. and lunch at 2:30 p.m. (after leaving the ship at 8:30 a.m.).

We love the Regent Experience and do not sail on Regent for the included excursions but they are definitely a draw for some people.