Departure port change for Splendor cruise

joeinsb

I was diasappointed to learn that our March 2020 cruise from Los Angeles (where we live) to Miami is now going to leave from San Diego because of "environmental regulations" in LA. I find it amazing that a new ship can't meet those standards, especially when Regent's older Seven Seas Mariner is scheduled to do three round-trip cruises out of LA in October 2020.

I know that cruise lines have the right to change itineraries, and we have had such changes made on a number of cruises, but only once has a cruise line changed a departure or arrival port. The one time that happened to us was on a Celebrity cruise, which had to change our arrival port because of docking problems in Fort Lauderdale. In that case, Celebriy offered an on-board credit and reimbursed any out-of-pocket costs that were the result of the change. I was told that Regent is not planning to offer any on-board credit even though I suspect many of the passengers will have to pay more for their transportation costs to the ship because of the change to San Dieg. In our case, our shuttle costs will double. Of course, Regent is in the enviable position of having a sold-out cruise with waiting lists of potential passengers.

I certainly understand that changing the departure city is by no means the end of the world. I am just curious why Regent can't meet the Port of Los Angeles' rules. That is one of the busiest harbors in the world, and hundreds of commercial and passenger vessels meet those standards every year.

Very curious where you learned that Splendor does not meet "environmental regulations" for Los Angeles. Having been raised in L.A. (and happy to no longer live there) I have heard that a lot of strange laws have been put into place since we left (16 years ago). In my opinion, San Diego should have stricter regulations for cruise ships than Los Angeles ....... especially in the area where ships dock. All I remember about San Pedro is that it "stunk" from the smell of oil.

In any case, we will be on that cruise and are thrilled that we don't have to spend any time in Los Angeles.

I'm thrilled that the embarkation was changed to San Diego. I've never been to LA and frankly have no desire to visit. On the other hand I'm happy to have an excuse to visit San Diego. I can appreciate that pax that live in the LA area will be inconvenienced, but hopefully that will not be a deal breaker for them.

Travelcat, maybe the comment re "environmental regulations" has to do with the language in the notice from RSSC about the change of embarkation port: "Since the original announcement and communication of our 2020 schedules, a change has been made to the ship’s schedule. To comply with environmental regulations in California ports Seven Seas SplendorTM will now depart from San Diego, CA, instead of from Los Angeles, on March 14, 2020."

I'm thrilled that the embarkation was changed to San Diego. I've never been to LA and frankly have no desire to visit. On the other hand I'm happy to have an excuse to visit San Diego. I can appreciate that pax that live in the LA area will be inconvenienced, but hopefully that will not be a deal breaker for them.

Travelcat, maybe the comment re "environmental regulations" has to do with the language in the notice from RSSC about the change of embarkation port: "Since the original announcement and communication of our 2020 schedules, a change has been made to the ship’s schedule. To comply with environmental regulations in California ports Seven Seas SplendorTM will now depart from San Diego, CA, instead of from Los Angeles, on March 14, 2020."

Thanks for the explanation -- I didn't read that. It is interesting that "California ports....." was mentioned. Perhaps the state forgot that San Diego is also in California;p. It would have been very surprising if Splendor had environmental issues. To my knowledge, Alaska has the strictest rules for cruise ships that sail in Alaska and Splendor will be there in the spring of 2021.

Too bad that you aren't on the transatlantic cruising that we will be on. Remember the outdoor restaurant that we dined at in Funchal? Dennis and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, It hasn't been offered as a Regent Choice excursion since we were there. Sorry to be off topic - just remembering that cruise ...... it was fun!

Too bad that you aren't on the transatlantic cruising that we will be on. Remember the outdoor restaurant that we dined at in Funchal? Dennis and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, It hasn't been offered as a Regent Choice excursion since we were there. Sorry to be off topic - just remembering that cruise ...... it was fun!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing earlier tonight when I was looking at Roll calls and saw your name on TA in the Fall. Sorry we wont be on same cruise! I just booked our excursions and you're right , its not being offered, too bad!

PS Sorry to OP for deviating from topic!

why cancel?

what cruise you moving to?

We actually have three cruises on Mariner, our favorite ship, booked; just moved the FCC to the one coming up in December. As for reason, we didn't enjoy Explorer so probably wouldn't enjoy Splendour for same reasons; in addition, we have been through the Canal; would rather spend our travel dollars on new experiences.

Marc

Marc - was your dislike of Explorer have to do with you choosing a "G" category suite for three people? If not, Kindly let us know what you did not like about the ship.

Thank you!

Loved the cabin. Dislike of Explorer is well documented:

No forward looking outdoor space.

No Horizon Lounge; by far my favorite on all the ships (i.e., Voyager and Mariner). Especially on Mariner, Horizon Lounge is a FANTASTIC location. As some of my good cruise buddies smoke, it is nice to sit at the bar and chat with folks as they come and go from smoking lounge. Yes, I could do that with Observation Lounge on Explorer but not as intimate an environment. I really love Mariner Horizon Lounge. And nothing beats back deck outside of Horizon Lounge on Voyager; we have had some fantastic evenings out there listening to the ocean while enjoying fantastic cocktail service.

Terrible theater design (hopefully fixed on Splendour) not just limited to sight lines but also those fixed tables with lamps.

Compass Rose too loud due to all the glass and no soft surfaces.

Terribly small coffee connection (to be fixed on Splendour).

Too small of Cat H cabins.

Impossible to get to gym in wheel chair or walker; my mom still would work out with personal trainer even though she needed walker last few years of her life.

Voyager had some improvements and some not so good changes from the Mariner; I think Mariner version 3 would have been perfect.

Marc

Thanks Marc. I am a bit surprised by your comment about the Coffee Connection as I feel that Voyager has the smallest one. In fact, it is so small that when Dennis tried to walk past someone getting food, she backed up and spilled hot coffee all over him. In any case, as you said, it will be fixed on the Splendor.

I'm not a fan of the Mariner but understand what you posted about the Horizon Lounge.

I wonder if the "environmental regulations" have something to do with the fact that in the two or three days between the arrival of Splendor in San Diego and the departure of our cruise for Miami on 14 march the Splendour might well be making a "cruise to nowhere" as a sort of fam trip for Regent agents in the western USA ??? And if so docking fees etc in LA might be far more costly than in SD ?? Just a thought!!

Personally I can't wait to sail on Splendor and I am not bothered by the lack of a Horizon lounge in the stern because our suite has a huge terrace looking right over the stern of the ship. I will just sit there on a chaise longue and look at the horizon!!

We have no problem with the change in departure city on this cruise.

We will still fly into LAX, pick up a rental car and visit for a few days, as planned, with our son and family.

We will then drive down to San Diego, spend our last night there, and visit our grandson, before boarding the Splendor. We have done this drive several times before and it is lovely.

We hope that we are well in March of 2020, and see you all aboard.

Sheila and Herb

whats wrong with mariner?

it is a good ship

The Mariner is a beautiful ship with lovely public spaces. However, those public spaces come at a space cost. The suites on the Mariner (below PH) are simply too small. The people that designed the Mariner must have agreed because when the Voyager debuted (2 years after Mariner), the suites were larger and the public areas are a bit smaller.

We also find Stars Lounge a huge waste of space. It might get a late night crowd but whenever we passed it, it was pretty empty. It does work well as a children's area during the time the Mariner is in Alaska. Before the 2nd to the last refurbishment, there was talk of moving the the Boutique into part of Stars which excited the Boutique staff since they are pretty well hidden where they are. Sadly, this did not come to pass but the fact that it was thought of makes me think that Regent knows that the space is underutilized.

Hey Guys

The is nothing wrong with any of RSSC ships. All slightly different.

One lounge may be better located than another.

One theatre has several seats that are not great.

One spa may be better than another.

There are some suites on each ship that we would not book.

BUT—All provide the best of RSSC food and services. We will sail on any of the ships. We choose the ship by its itinerary.

Those who bash one ship over another simply don’t appreciate the opportunity to be able enjoy the experience.

Sheila

Hey Guys

The is nothing wrong with any of RSSC ships. All slightly different.

One lounge may be better located than another.

One theatre has several seats that are not great.

One spa may be better than another.

There are some suites on each ship that we would not book.

BUT—All provide the best of RSSC food and services. We will sail on any of the ships. We choose the ship by its itinerary.

Those who bash one ship over another simply don’t appreciate the opportunity to be able enjoy the experience.

Sheila

Hi Sheila, I agree, however, would like your take on the changes to Galileo's lounge in Navigator ( something I read about the stage for the musicians now blocking the view?)

Navigator used to have a forward facing lounge or bar. I saw it listed outside the lift(elevator) on the plaque. By the time we cruised on theNavigator it had gone and the gym replaced it. Does anyone remember this - and know why it happened? There is a lot of forward deck space in front of the gym and I think this could be easily converted into an Observation Lounge. Put the gym “below decks”!

Sent from my iPad using Forums