"Radiant Amazon", Nov.17,2017-Dec. 12, 2017

Mudhen

This trip was the result of a bucket list entry coming to pass!

Jackie has done an fabulous, "blow by blow" job of letting everyone know exactly what was happening on the ship, at sea and in port. My hat is off to her for her dedication. As she mentioned in one of her posts...."we were having too much fun to take the time to post"..and she was right. I am in the total minority in that I don't have a tablet, kindle or device that I can tote anywhere and post with. I need the computer room. Although the internet was pretty good, there were days with no connectivity or it was so slow, it was painful, hence no blog from us.

It was most wonderful to cruise with Jackie and Dennis on this trip. The last time we were together was on last year's Explorer TA in November. We've kept in touch for a year, awaiting this trip!

I won't attempt to do the detailed commentary that Jackie did, but I'll give you our high points.....

We started off with an overnight at The Epic in Miami....loved the hotel! Nice social hour with wine for everyone, good breakfast. Transfer was timely and took about 15 mins to get to the port. 10 of those minutes were for traffic.

We thought the ship looked wonderful! Yes, there are some areas that could use updating (Mariner lounge, furniture in the Horizon, etc) but nothing appears worn or over used. We were in a concierge suite on deck 8. Nothing wrong there at all. Carpet was clean, and beds so very comfy!

As far as service goes, I'm racking my brain to think of anything that was less than spectacular. I guess if I was forced to pick something that could be improved it would be service in Prime 7. Not terrible, but could use a little sprucing up.

Felt somewhat ignored on our first trip there....Signatures was consistantly wonderful, we enjoyed Andrea and Pauline in that venue . Sette Mari was terrific the one time we ate there.

Some of our "stars" were Alex in the Ob Bar, Alberto and Lani, our servers in CR, Serge at the pool bar, etc. ALL of the lido deck folks (too many to mention all of them) who kept the drinks flowing and the sense of humor coming were the best. OH, and before I forget.....we loved the new(?) duo who entertained around lunchtime at the pool "The Tritones" (?). Loved the more contemporary take on their music...thought it was a breath of fresh air that Regent could really use in that department.

Food is such a subjective thing, I almost hate to go there. CR was a total standout for us. Always hot, and delicious. The new "always available " side has something for every taste. The special galley luncheon was out of this world! Special evening deck dinners were equally spectacular with the Caribbean night coming to mind. The seafood lunch by the pool wasn't too shabby either...haha!!!

Terry Breen did a wonderful job of keeping us appraised for what to expect in Amazon and on Devil's Island. Although we only did some of the Regent included excursions, we found the transports to be fine and guides, excellent. The one exception to our tours was the one that Jackie described in detail. It was a private tour out of Manaus. Simply fabulous! One thing we did notice and smell was smoke....and a lot of it. I knew that the Amazon was burning (how very sad) but I wasn't expecting as much smoke as we got....Also, there is no getting around it....it was HOT! I was aware of the high temps, but hadn't figured in the humidity....it was a killer! (but we survived!) The quality of the tropical fruit in the Amazon was wonderful....melons, papayas, etc, all simply "yummy"!

Devil's island was a highlight....Poured rain, wind blew...like a mini tropical storm. Aborted the first attempt, but went back in the afternoon when the pouring part stopped! So glad we did. It was cloudy, and hazy. It only added to the thick atmosphere that hangs over the place. If you ever have a chance to go to Devil's Island, do so. It's not to be missed!

As far as the Caribbean ports, we've been to all of them with the exception of Trinidad. All were fine with St. Kitts being a stand out and Antigua on the bottom of the heap.

As soon as I send this off, I'll think of other things I should've mentioned but I'll start with this much. If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them

Have to give kudos to Linda (and Twila) for going back to Devils Island after lunch. They went through the worst of the storm and it didn't get them down (they are real troopers). Her DH stayed on the ship after lunch -- we did the same thing. Devils Island was hot, muggy and muddy but we are happy that we went there.

• 7 months later...
This trip was the result of a bucket list entry coming to pass!

Jackie has done an fabulous, "blow by blow" job of letting everyone know exactly what was happening on the ship, at sea and in port. My hat is off to her for her dedication. As she mentioned in one of her posts...."we were having too much fun to take the time to post"..and she was right. I am in the total minority in that I don't have a tablet, kindle or device that I can tote anywhere and post with. I need the computer room. Although the internet was pretty good, there were days with no connectivity or it was so slow, it was painful, hence no blog from us.

It was most wonderful to cruise with Jackie and Dennis on this trip. The last time we were together was on last year's Explorer TA in November. We've kept in touch for a year, awaiting this trip!

I won't attempt to do the detailed commentary that Jackie did, but I'll give you our high points.....

We started off with an overnight at The Epic in Miami....loved the hotel! Nice social hour with wine for everyone, good breakfast. Transfer was timely and took about 15 mins to get to the port. 10 of those minutes were for traffic.

We thought the ship looked wonderful! Yes, there are some areas that could use updating (Mariner lounge, furniture in the Horizon, etc) but nothing appears worn or over used. We were in a concierge suite on deck 8. Nothing wrong there at all. Carpet was clean, and beds so very comfy!

As far as service goes, I'm racking my brain to think of anything that was less than spectacular. I guess if I was forced to pick something that could be improved it would be service in Prime 7. Not terrible, but could use a little sprucing up.

Felt somewhat ignored on our first trip there....Signatures was consistantly wonderful, we enjoyed Andrea and Pauline in that venue . Sette Mari was terrific the one time we ate there.

Some of our "stars" were Alex in the Ob Bar, Alberto and Lani, our servers in CR, Serge at the pool bar, etc. ALL of the lido deck folks (too many to mention all of them) who kept the drinks flowing and the sense of humor coming were the best. OH, and before I forget.....we loved the new(?) duo who entertained around lunchtime at the pool "The Tritones" (?). Loved the more contemporary take on their music...thought it was a breath of fresh air that Regent could really use in that department.

Food is such a subjective thing, I almost hate to go there. CR was a total standout for us. Always hot, and delicious. The new "always available " side has something for every taste. The special galley luncheon was out of this world! Special evening deck dinners were equally spectacular with the Caribbean night coming to mind. The seafood lunch by the pool wasn't too shabby either...haha!!!

Terry Breen did a wonderful job of keeping us appraised for what to expect in Amazon and on Devil's Island. Although we only did some of the Regent included excursions, we found the transports to be fine and guides, excellent. The one exception to our tours was the one that Jackie described in detail. It was a private tour out of Manaus. Simply fabulous! One thing we did notice and smell was smoke....and a lot of it. I knew that the Amazon was burning (how very sad) but I wasn't expecting as much smoke as we got....Also, there is no getting around it....it was HOT! I was aware of the high temps, but hadn't figured in the humidity....it was a killer! (but we survived!) The quality of the tropical fruit in the Amazon was wonderful....melons, papayas, etc, all simply "yummy"!

Devil's island was a highlight....Poured rain, wind blew...like a mini tropical storm. Aborted the first attempt, but went back in the afternoon when the pouring part stopped! So glad we did. It was cloudy, and hazy. It only added to the thick atmosphere that hangs over the place. If you ever have a chance to go to Devil's Island, do so. It's not to be missed!

As far as the Caribbean ports, we've been to all of them with the exception of Trinidad. All were fine with St. Kitts being a stand out and Antigua on the bottom of the heap.

As soon as I send this off, I'll think of other things I should've mentioned but I'll start with this much. If anyone has questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them

was the visit to devils island on your own or organize? there is a few ports on this trip where regent does not provide anynexcursions, would appreciate any tips

was the visit to devils island on your own or provided by RSS or private company, there is a few ports on this cruise where RSS does not offered any tour even so we are at the port all day, would appreciate any tips, tsk

was the visit to devils island on your own or provided by RSS or private company, there is a few ports on this cruise where RSS does not offered any tour even so we are at the port all day, would appreciate any tips, tsk

It is a small island, sort of a national park. There are no tours available and no private tours either. You walk around and see it. It's isolation is the reason for it being a penal colony. Of course, that assumes the seas cooperate -my understanding is that about 50% of the ships that go there are unable to tender ashore. Our cruise did not get ashore.

It is a strictly do it yourself tour basis. Although we were there when the weather was terrible, I do not recommend it for anyone who has difficulty walking. It's tough for the able bodied. Roads are original cobbles that are very uneven and slippery if wet or damp. Quite hilly in parts.

One issue on Regent/Devil's Island/French Guiana....We were told that unless we had a drs waiver, we would need yellow fever shots to go ashore on Devil's Island, IF you had been to Brasil, previously. First off, since we live in upstate NY, this wasn't an easy "do". We got the shots. When I asked the shore excursion dept, "should we bring our yellow cards (innoculation certificate from WHO) they had absolutely no idea of what I was talking about. As it turned out, no one asked for them, looked at them, could care less. No info what so ever on that from the ship or a shore. I really wouldn't care, but the %^$# shot cost each of us 300.00$ and a long trip to get it. Something that Regent/ or French Guiana should make up their mind on....Do we REALLY need that shot....does anybody care?