Website issues

gnomie1

Regent really needs to up their game with regard to the website - right now there are some major issues for individuals unable to book any excursions/restaurant reservations if they have booked a B2B cruise.

In 2018 this is inexcusable - I come from a family of geeks who populate the Silicon Valley and they believe that the website is probably maintained overseas which is why it takes so long to make corrections - they need to consider improving their IT because if they wish to attract a younger demographic, they need to provide the tools that they are accustomed to in everyday life.

Web site corrections should not take weeks -

gnomie :)

Agreed. I have been having the same issues. I can access my booking but when I click on "view this booking," it takes me back to the home page. We are coming up to booking dining next week so I assume I'll have to call. But they did say it should be fixed by the first week in August. Guess we'll see. This has been going on for a very long time.

While this should not be occurring, Regent did advise someone that asked about the website that they are preparing it for the debut of the rest of the 2020 itineraries. It would really be helpful if they put a statement on their website.

Agreed. I have been having the same issues. I can access my booking but when I click on "view this booking," it takes me back to the home page. We are coming up to booking dining next week so I assume I'll have to call. But they did say it should be fixed by the first week in August. Guess we'll see. This has been going on for a very long time.

Same problem with me. They told me it was only a problem with 4 bookings, but I would guess it is more than that. They would not give me a time when it would be fixed.

While this should not be occurring, Regent did advise someone that asked about the website that they are preparing it for the debut of the rest of the 2020 itineraries. It would really be helpful if they put a statement on their website.

There should not be any need for a statement on their website - in the realm of the internet world, the RSSC website is really not that all complex and adding updated itineraries for 2020 should not cause these type of disruptions, and for such long periods of time - it is quite obvious that the web site administration is outsourced - maybe they should consider hiring a bunch of high school kids from either Palo Alto or Gunn High School - they would probably have the website up and corrected before the end of the day.

Wow - quite harsh!!!!! I do not believe that most of us understand the complexity of cruise line websites. If they did, there would not be so many cruise line websites that are difficult (at best) to maneuver. I have yet to find a cruise line website that is logical. Most boards continually complain about the website. While this is not an excuse for Regent, it does speak to the complexities.

Here is what Jason Montague (President of RSSC) told me recently concerning the web issues:

Thanks for the heads up Wes. Jason O hopefully got back to you that we are working on fixing this but at this point doesn’t look like it will be completed until later on in August. In the short term the solution would be to call into reservations so they can assist with making (excursion) reservations. Sorry for the issue but this will hopefully be addressed soon not to mention we are completely revamping the website which will improve everything as we move forward.

That is pretty much what has been posted previously. Whether we like it or not, we need to be patient (something that most Regent cruisers are not known for).

The bottom line is that most of us can do whatever we need to do by telephoning Regent.

Still think that a comment on the website would be in order.

My one thought on this is that--from personal experience--Regent's dropping the ball on maintaining a functional website during whatever transitional period there may be to a brighter future--

has resulted in dumping unanswered questions on BTB segments to one's TA in addition to Regent representatives via telephone. TAs are our advocates in these matters. Thankfully, we have a great one.

Hopefully, as we say in the Military--Lesson Learned after Regent top management conducts a thorough after-action review. Situation not to be repeated. Do not reinforce failure. Certainly, this is another 1st World Problem. But, considering costs of these 5+star cruises, it is probative that it took a system failure related to an important cruise aspect--which has continued for several weeks--to surface this deficiency.

We do have a "dog in this fight" as to upcoming BTBs.

GOARMY!

I give up ......... what does the scorecard mean? Drib - you need to be the resident comedian on this board - you do an amazing job.

BTW, George Burns did not exactly discover Ann Margaret. She was in a group (Suttletones) that performed at the Dunes Hotel in Las Vegas where Tony Bennett and Al Hirt were the headliners. So, she was already in the field when George Burns heard of her performance -- auditioned and booked her for his holiday show. So, while he gave her a leg up (so to speak), I don't know that I would say that he discovered her.

Back to the topic - Drib, I give you 1000 thumbs up for what you said about about IT and Regent. In terms of college kids rather than high schoolers, according to some statistics, fewer students are majoring in Computer Science (also included was Education and English). On the other hand, if you need someone to hack into computers, they are a heck of a lot better than we were:D

Scoreboard:

gnomie1 +200

papaflamingo 0

Travelcat2 0

sworksjr 0

WesW 0

GOARMY 0

Now, let's meet gnomie1. It says here that you still have all your baby teeth. Tell us more about that.

Not quite baby teeth, but unless there are children on the ship, the age range of passengers increases substantially when I board. One night in CR one of our table mates walked around and upon return announced that I was probably about 20 younger than the next youngest passenger in the room. It also doesn't hurt that I look much younger than my actual age, something I hated as a teenager/young adult but do not mind at all now.

I know this is really a "first world" problem. I also know that likely I have little to worry about as we have all our shore excursions booked (whew). But our Dining Reservations open in 2 days. I'm assuming that when I go on the website at midnight that I won't be able to view the dining reservations. I am hoping that since they are new, that I'll be able to access them. I can still access my Guest Registration form, but not Shore Excursions. Anyway, since they open at midnight on Sat., and I will need to wait until Monday to call, I'm wondering if everyone else on the cruise is having the same problem, or is it only some of us? Gnomie1 indicated that this situation might be limited to those with B2B cruises (we're B2B2B). So, is anyone out there able to view their booking? Also, any thoughts on how hard it'll be to make dining reservations by phone 2 days after the reservation window opens on time? We're not really that fussy as to day and time, just prefer sea days to shore days for specialty dining.

Thanks. I know I'm likely overthinking this, but it's my first Regent cruise.

The issue regarding combo booking shore ex and dining reservations has been fixed as of this morning. Please let us know if you happen to run into any additional challenges. Again, apologies for this nuisance and thank you for your understanding as we worked through this fix.

I also wish to acknowledge your feedback about our website. As already hinted, we are actively engaged in a major website redesign that will advance the capabilities and functionality of our site. You should expect to see some elements of this redesign revealed by years' end. The site will be deployed in stages in order to do this smoothly or more importantly - correctly, throughout the course of 2019. Rest assured we are testing these enhancements and have solicited feedback from various resources in an effort to build a best-in-class website that will take us well into the future.

I will look forward to your feedback once we begin releasing the new designs and functionality.

So ... I have no inside knowledge of their systems, but I would suspect it's all handled domestically by a large department within NCL.

Also, keep in mind that there is a lot more to IT than just putting web pages online. It's complicated, it crosses many systems and databases, and there are a lot of accountability issues.

Not to disparage the high school kids from either Palo Alto or Gunn High School, but ...

Kids!

I don't know what's wrong with kids who code today.

Kids!

They don't follow good standards and practices in any way.

Kids,

Always high on Red Bull, they don't know what they don't know,

About overlapping systems, and compliance inter-nat-ion-al.

And what about the general ledger?

Kids!

They don't test as much as you want them to.

Kids!

They write recursive code that you can't unscrew.

Why can't they code like in old days,

Over budget and over due.

What's the matter with kid coders today!

Too funny -- and OH so true. They also don't comment! And hate documentation, security, and 508.

The issue regarding combo booking shore ex and dining reservations has been fixed as of this morning.

I will look forward to your feedback once we begin releasing the new designs and functionality.

Jason, thanks for your message. As you said, the booking issue seems to have resolved. Appreciate your attention. So, "feedback." Don't know if this is included in the new website design, but are you or can you give us the ability to cancel a shore excursion on line and book something new? It would really help when a change is desired.

Just a thought.

Jason, thanks for your message. As you said, the booking issue seems to have resolved. Appreciate your attention. So, "feedback." Don't know if this is included in the new website design, but are you or can you give us the ability to cancel a shore excursion on line and book something new? It would really help when a change is desired.

Just a thought.

That is an excellent suggestion - one that I have also thought about. We are able to cancel and rebook dining reservations but no excursions so we know that it I doable.

Too funny -- and OH so true. They also don't comment! And hate documentation, security, and 508.

Most coders (well, not so much for apps) I know care greatly about security. Documentation a bit less so unless their job requires it. 508 only applies to the Fed sites - I'm confident you meant ADA requirements for public accommodation although that isn't much different.

The issue regarding combo booking shore ex and dining reservations has been fixed as of this morning. Please let us know if you happen to run into any additional challenges. Again, apologies for this nuisance and thank you for your understanding as we worked through this fix.

I also wish to acknowledge your feedback about our website. As already hinted, we are actively engaged in a major website redesign that will advance the capabilities and functionality of our site. You should expect to see some elements of this redesign revealed by years' end. The site will be deployed in stages in order to do this smoothly or more importantly - correctly, throughout the course of 2019. Rest assured we are testing these enhancements and have solicited feedback from various resources in an effort to build a best-in-class website that will take us well into the future.

I still can't see the cruise details of my B2B on Mariner next April. Still being redirected to the home page.