2020-2021 itineraries

boblerm

I could have sworn I saw a thread about this earlier, which either has been removed for some reason, or I was hallucinating. But in any event, new itineraries are out.

I am a bit bummed at this point, I was hoping to do a Norwegian fjord cruise, similar to the one that Mr Rumor recently reported on, and I do not see a comparable one for 2020. Am I missing something?

Bob

I am only looking at Explorer and Splendor itineraries and was surprised and disappointed to see that Explorer will be in Alaska in May 2021. In my opinion, Mariner is the best ship for that itinerary because of their large Stars lounge that is used for the hundreds of children that sail during the summer.

hundreds of children on every cruise :eek:

Thankfully it is not on every cruise but rather throughout the summer. Unlike NCL that had 900 children on one cruise, Regent tends to have less than a hundred on each cruise (sometimes much less and I'm only talking about Alaska).

For people considering Alaska and do not want to sail with families, May is the best month to sail (also the beginning of September but the weather can be colder).

hundreds of children on every cruise :eek:

I think it's mostly Alaska -- I know my Alaska cruise in August had about 100 kids on it. The result of MANY multi-generation family trips (we were one of them and three of the kids belonged to our group).

drib, thanks for your analysis; I had found those FP cruises; last one interests me. Don't really see too much new; I also disagree with Explorer for Alaska although not for reason Jackie stated; I just don't think it is smart with no outside forward facing viewing area.

Marc

I think it's mostly Alaska -- I know my Alaska cruise in August had about 100 kids on it. The result of MANY multi-generation family trips (we were one of them and three of the kids belonged to our group).

Multi-generational travel is one of the fastest growing segments in the travel industry and perhaps one of the reasons Regent now offers significantly discounted rates on certain cruises for children under the age of 17, so as not to miss the boat (pun intended). Considering all the catalogs that Regent sends out, I am really surprised that their marketing department does not issue catalogs specifically designed for the multi-generational traveler highlighting those cruises which offer special rates for children under the age of 17. We have spoken to many Regent passengers who were unaware of the discounts offered to children. In the multi generational luxury travel market, Regent has a minuscule market share and I wonder why they are not actively trying to increase it.

gnomie :)

This has been the case for as long as I can remember. Regent used to have a "kids sail free" program every summer. While Regent will likely never be a big draw for children or multi-generational families, Alaska seems to work out well for them. Unfortunately, summer cruises with a majority of families are different than "regular" Regent cruises which is why we avoid them whenever possible.

It is interesting that newer cruise lines (like Viking Ocean) are trying not to have children onboard and the up and coming (and already very popular) cruise line that Sir Richard Branson is debuting will be child-free so there will be good options for those of us who prefer not to sail on a cruise line that caters to children*. Time will tell if luxury family cruising will increase. In my opinion, it will not - unless or. until ships are built to accommodate them (which I hope never happens).

There are so few luxury cruise lines and so many cruise lines that cater to children. Crossing my fingers that this does not change.

Note: Most mainstream and premium cruise lines can provide an very inclusive experience and are more affordable for families (and more fun as well).

*Having sailed on NCL - our first mainstream cruise line -- in my opinion, it is a much better choice for families and children than luxury cruise lines and we will be trying a premium cruise line next month that is also set up for children.