Why are hot tubs on cruise ships not hot?

adamrosie

I’ve sailed HAL, Princess, Disney, RCCL, and Celebrity. Never have I ever experienced a HOT hot tub. They are all lukewarm at best. Is there a reason for this? Some sort of regulation that disallows a HOT hot tub?? I don’t need scalding but when I can’t even get warm in a hot tub, that’s sad. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve sailed HAL, Princess, Disney, RCCL, and Celebrity. Never have I ever experienced a HOT hot tub. They are all lukewarm at best. Is there a reason for this? Some sort of regulation that disallows a HOT hot tub?? I don’t need scalding but when I can’t even get warm in a hot tub, that’s sad. :(

Why would you want to be in a hot tub or a pool ?

This doesn’t answer my question.

Yes, actually there are regulations. Ships are required to have a temperature-control mechanism to prevent the temperature from exceeding 40°C/104° F. (https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/docs/vsp_operations_manual_2018-508.pdf)

They don't like getting anywhere close to that temperature so they keep it a bit lower. Generally pool temperatures run from 20°-30° Celsius (68°-86° Fahrenheit) with hot tubs running 30°-40° Celsius (86°-104° Fahrenheit). There is a big difference between how the lower range feels compared to the upper end.

Yes, actually there are regulations. Ships are required to have a temperature-control mechanism to prevent the temperature from exceeding 40°C/104° F. (https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/docs/vsp_operations_manual_2018-508.pdf)

They don't like getting anywhere close to that temperature so they keep it a bit lower. Generally pool temperatures run from 20°-30° Celsius (68°-86° Fahrenheit) with hot tubs running 30°-40° Celsius (86°-104° Fahrenheit). There is a big difference between how the lower range feels compared to the upper end.

Thanks. This is helpful. And somehow it applies even to ships flagged in other countries? (Basically all of them)

Thanks. This is helpful. And somehow it applies even to ships flagged in other countries? (Basically all of them)

Regardless of where a cruise ship is flagged, if it calls at US ports, it must abide by the USPH/CDC VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program), and that is where the regulation cited comes from. One reason that they tend to keep the temperatures lower is that the 104*F is the prime breeding temperature for legionella (Legionnaire's disease), and this is also why they have disconnected the air jets in the hot tubs, since legionella is an aerosol bacteria.

Yep, because they are visiting US ports. The Coast Guard, CDC, and EPA have full authority when ships are entering/departing US ports.

Yep, because they are visiting US ports. The Coast Guard, CDC, and EPA have full authority when ships are entering/departing US ports.

Not exactly correct. The USCG can and does inspect the ships as part of their "Port State Control" (the nation whose port the ship is in can inspect to ensure that international standards are met). Note that I said that "international standards" must be met. This means that since the US is signatory to SOLAS, STCW, MLC 2006, MARPOL and a variety of other international conventions created by the IMO, the US has the right to ensure that all ships in US waters meet these requirements, and the USCG is tasked as the responsible agency. However, the USCG cannot enforce their much more stringent US flag regulations on foreign flag ships. For instance, the goal of USCG PSC is to inspect every cruise ship twice a year, sometimes this does not happen due to ship's schedule, or USCG funding. On the other hand, a US flag cruise ship must be inspected 4 times a year.

The USPH/CDC VSP is a voluntary program for cruise ships. The USPH is tasked with preventing the introduction of infectious diseases into the US, and to accomplish this mandate, they are tasked with boarding every ship that enters the US from a foreign port for a sanitation inspection and a health interview with a sampling of passengers and crew. Imagine how that could disrupt the disembarkation/embarkation process if that was done every cruise. Not to mention the cost to have sufficient inspectors available. In order to remedy this, the USPH/CDC and the cruise lines joined in the VSP, where if the ship agrees to meet the construction and operation requirements of the VSP, then the USPH agrees to only inspect the ships up to twice a year on a random basis. A cruise ship can decide not to abide by the VSP, but that means that the ship could be inspected and passengers questioned regarding their health before disembarkation is allowed. Rare, but possible.

Not exactly correct. The USCG can and does inspect the ships as part of their "Port State Control" (the nation whose port the ship is in can inspect to ensure that international standards are met). Note that I said that "international standards" must be met. This means that since the US is signatory to SOLAS, STCW, MLC 2006, MARPOL and a variety of other international conventions created by the IMO, the US has the right to ensure that all ships in US waters meet these requirements, and the USCG is tasked as the responsible agency. However, the USCG cannot enforce their much more stringent US flag regulations on foreign flag ships. For instance, the goal of USCG PSC is to inspect every cruise ship twice a year, sometimes this does not happen due to ship's schedule, or USCG funding. On the other hand, a US flag cruise ship must be inspected 4 times a year.

The USPH/CDC VSP is a voluntary program for cruise ships. The USPH is tasked with preventing the introduction of infectious diseases into the US, and to accomplish this mandate, they are tasked with boarding every ship that enters the US from a foreign port for a sanitation inspection and a health interview with a sampling of passengers and crew. Imagine how that could disrupt the disembarkation/embarkation process if that was done every cruise. Not to mention the cost to have sufficient inspectors available. In order to remedy this, the USPH/CDC and the cruise lines joined in the VSP, where if the ship agrees to meet the construction and operation requirements of the VSP, then the USPH agrees to only inspect the ships up to twice a year on a random basis. A cruise ship can decide not to abide by the VSP, but that means that the ship could be inspected and passengers questioned regarding their health before disembarkation is allowed. Rare, but possible.

I always learn something new from you! Thanks for the clarification.

Regardless of where a cruise ship is flagged, if it calls at US ports, it must abide by the USPH/CDC VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program), and that is where the regulation cited comes from. One reason that they tend to keep the temperatures lower is that the 104*F is the prime breeding temperature for legionella (Legionnaire's disease), and this is also why they have disconnected the air jets in the hot tubs, since legionella is an aerosol bacteria.

Also, Legionella normally causes issues with older people, those with compromised immune systems, low on sleep, and heavy on drinking. Remember, it got its name from infecting a large number of American Legion conference attendees. :D

And cruise demographics fits the susceptible population.

In normally healthy people, it causes mild flu-lie symptoms called Pontiac fever. Pontiac fever was known for a long time before Legionella. And both are caused by the same organism, just different manifestations based on the person exposed.

Why would you want to be in a hot tub or a pool ?

My thoughts too. Years ago I saw a television documentary where they analysed the water in hot tubs, jacuzzis/spa baths in hotels and public pools. People have very different levels of personal hygiene before getting in.

I have never gone in any since.

My DH calls hot tubs 'body soup pots'!

Yuck!!!!

I think the comfortable temperature is a very individual thing. We have a hot tub in our back yard. I LOVE it. It is literally the best investment I ever made. And we use it all year round, even in summer in hot/humid San Antonio. But I keep the temp very low. In winter, I might crank it all the way up to 99 degrees. Admittedly our winters are pretty mild.

In summer, I keep it around 96-97 degrees. So that is what most people would consider "lukewarm" but it is perfect for me. The best part of the hot tub is the jets which are like getting a massage, in my opinion. If it is too hot, I get overheated very quickly and have to get out.

I've been to gyms where the hot tub is so hot, it is intolerable to me. So I love the milder temps of the tubs on cruise ships -- especially if sailing in a warm climate.

And just one degree can make a very noticeable difference to me. It's always amazed me how one degree change in temp can make a big difference in my comfort level... maybe that is just me.

To each his own, I guess.

The legal term is called exposure. All companies go out of their way now not to get sued. Can't get burnned, stroke out from staying in to long or get to drunk to fast. Same reasoning you can't order a rare hamburger on the ship.

My thoughts too. Years ago I saw a television documentary where they analysed the water in hot tubs, jacuzzis/spa baths in hotels and public pools. People have very different levels of personal hygiene before getting in.

I have never gone in any since.

My DH calls hot tubs 'body soup pots'!

Yuck!!!!

I came to the conclusion several decades ago...and it has since been confirmed by numerous medical professionals...that sooner or later something was going to cause me to die.

A couple of things have tried since then but have been unsuccessful. Because of these things, I approach life as something to be enjoyed and lived. Therefore, if the thought of getting into a public pool or hot tub sounds appealing I throw caution to the wind.

I came to the conclusion several decades ago...and it has since been confirmed by numerous medical professionals...that sooner or later something was going to cause me to die.

A couple of things have tried since then but have been unsuccessful. Because of these things, I approach life as something to be enjoyed and lived. Therefore, if the thought of getting into a public pool or hot tub sounds appealing I throw caution to the wind.

Love this!