No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

It wouldn't of course.

But dining is about more than taste, it's an experience, a feast for all 5 senses. Hence the great attention land- and sea-based dining venues pay to decor, ambiance, soundproofing, etc.

I like sitting by the window and watching the ocean at a meal sometimes, it doesn't affect how the food tastes either, but it's pleasant.

And of course how others dress is part of that. There is a reason for the fashion, makeup and hairstylist industry. People like to look good and like others to look good.

There is an entire field of "embodied cognition" that deals with the way our appearance changes other's perceptions. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/clothes-and-self-perception.html to start.

One thing these types of experiments show is that when we're more dressed up we tend to be more polite and better able to engage in abstract thinking. people are also more likely to be polite to someone dressed well than otherwise

Similarly, Professor Karen J. Pine, of the University of Hertfordshire (U.K.) writes in her very short book Mind What You Wear: The Psychology of Fashion “When we put on a piece of clothing we cannot help but adopt some of the characteristics associated with it, even if we are unaware of it.”

so if you don't care to dress up fine, but let's PLEASE stop this BS that "no one cares" or "why does anyone care" because they do. It's just an excuse to be lazy, disrespectful, and rude.

Personally, I do care how people look at dinner and when they are under dressed it bothers me. But I don't freak out because I'm hardly perfect and I'm sure I do things that annoy people on cruises also. But at least I'm not disingenuous about it.

So I really wish people would stop pretending that it's crazy to care how other people look. It's clearly established through science, history, and culture that appearance is important to most of us. It's not just a made up thing. It's not easily explainable like some many other thing about the human brain but it's still true.

There will be a big Wooooosh moment for a few who read your post. Probable happened already judging by some of the posts after yours.:D

If people are that bothered by what attire their table mates are wearing they should be asked to be seated elsewhere. Plain & simple.

I have never seen such judgmental people than on this board. There are so many more important things to be bothered over than what other people are wearing.

No, if you want to wear shorts and t shirt for dinner you should respect others around you and eat somewhere else. I certainly hope RCI enforces the dress code finally.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, if you want to wear shorts and t shirt for dinner you should respect others around you and eat somewhere else. I certainly hope RCI enforces the dress code finally.

Conversely, if you don't like shorts in the MDR, you could go somewhere else. If I can wear shorts in church, I'm certain that I should be able to wear shorts (no t-shirts) in the MDR. Maybe we should go back full load and instruct the ladies to wear hats in the MDR.

Conversely, if you don't like shorts in the MDR, you could go somewhere else. If I can wear shorts in church, I'm certain that I should be able to wear shorts (no t-shirts) in the MDR. Maybe we should go back full load and instruct the ladies to wear hats in the MDR.

Apparently RCI disagrees.

I'm glad that they have reversed their decision to allow shorts and such for dinner in the MDR. Our family prefers a reasonably classy environment for our dinners.

There's always going to be people on opposite ends of the coin regarding this though. I understand the other argument. We just don't feel that way.

Dan

Conversely, if you don't like shorts in the MDR, you could go somewhere else.

Actually you're wrong. Since Royal Caribbean asks you NOT to wear shorts in the MDR, it is incumbent upon YOU to go somewhere else if YOU are the one going against their stated desires.

As for "I wear a suit 5 days a week," well, I wear a shirt 7 days a week. So in your opinion, can I come to the MDR shirtless? Oh yeah... my hairy armpits offend you. Well to bad... it's MY CRUISE! Seriously???

As to "no one cares what others wear?" OF COURSE THEY DO. That's why these threads are long and very nasty. Those who say "I don't care what you wear, why should you care?" are the worst. Y'all are the loudest on this forum trying to put down anyone who actually is looking for a nicer experience or simply believe rules should be followed without coercion. So you DO care. Stop saying you don't, or simply move on without comment if you really don't care.

On the same line, if nothing other than taste affects your enjoyment of dinner, then why bother with chandeliers, table cloths, nice furniture, china, glassware, silverware? How about they just have a basic room with florescent lighting, waiters in whatever they want to wear, plastic chairs, plastic or paper plates and cups, throwaway plastic knives and forks that are sealed in plastic wrap until you decide to open them, rolls of paper towels on the table instead of napkins? Yeah... sure... you wouldn't complain, would you? Just ask the Carnival board when they took table cloths off the table off the MDR tables. :')

This morning on another site, a woman wrote her review of either Allure or Harmony. I can't remember which one as I was reading about both ships. She had recently sailed and was encouraging people to wear shorts and tees in the dining room at night.

She advised that she and her husband wanted a casual cruise and both formal nights wore shorts, tees and flip flops and no one from Royal Caribbean said anything about their attire. She made a point to tell people to wear what they wanted as no one cares what is worn.

My teens always wear khaki shorts with a nice polo shirt. Nothing wrong with it. I could care less what people wear, I am on vacation. And if I go to a local restaurant I still don’t care what others wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These threads like this never cease to amaze me. I cannot believe that in 2019 anyone cares if the person next them eating dinner is wearing shorts, or for god sakes a sleeveless shirt. Oh the horror, I just can't go on. Also its not like RCI is serving gourmet food with on fancy china and utensils. I mean guys its 2019.

RCI doesn't care, I guess, unless you are really egregious like trying to enter in a wet bathing suit. I don't have any tank tops and don't wear hats to dinner, but had no problem walking into DL and dining room, all specialty restaurants, on Navigator in pair of knit golf shorts and either a polo or button up short sleeve collared shirt; boat shoes or loafers. Resort casual. Really, this is only a problem on here. The link is #fakenews, sorry people. Main Dining room not a big deal any more; offers something for everyone. I saw everything there was to see on last cruise, from resort casual to full on tuxes. I'd say most men had on pants and untucked short sleeve collared shirt. No big deal. Didn't seem any different than on NCL honestly. It was fine. Relax.

After many cruises on RC, for our upcoming cruise, the suits are staying home. The idea that it ruins your dinner if someone in the dining room isn't dressed in formal attire is crazy. I'm not worried about being in the dining room with people in their prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, Mother of the Bride dresses or something that should be X rated in my slacks and blouse. I'm also not worried about someone in shorts. And if you want to get all technical about it, what's the difference in a man with hairy legs in a pair of shorts and one in a kilt? One of them is probably not wearing underwear. Ok??? I don't care what anyone else in the dining room is wearing. I don't think RC does either.

... dining is about more than taste, it's an experience, a feast for all 5 senses. Hence the great attention land- and sea-based dining venues pay to decor, ambiance, soundproofing, etc.

So you have NEVER had 3 snot-nosed kids sitting behind you with the youngest balling her eyes out because ... well, just because. To help you understand an better empathize here is a link for "infant cognition" should it happen to impact your enjoyment of a cruise. For me, I'd MUCH rather have those sitting next to me wearing shorts than dealing with "out of control" kids dressed in tuxes at a table next to us

https://interpersonal.stackexchange.com/questions/1780/how-do-i-deal-with-other-peoples-screaming-children-in-restaurants?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

If you are my Dr. D please don't take this personally as I think I have a physical coming up sometime next week.. LOL

Edited by ndabunka

I do love the posts that tell others to "get over it"....One example. on the old SS Norway. "gentleman" at the next table, wearing a t-shirt with the world famous F word on it, loud, drunk and mean. His shorts look like he had just gotten done slopping the hogs....Please, next time, tell your table mates and the kids at the surrounding tables to get over it!

Wear what is requested, get over it!!!!

No matter which side of the issue one takes, I find it interesting that the response almost always says, "someone will be offended" Maybe it is time for every cruise line to add a moderate large "safe area" where those offended can go hide until their being offended wears off. As they used to say,, "Put on your big boy pants" even if they come all the way down to your ankles.

clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

That "safe area" used to be the MDR in the evenings. Then, it got taken away. :D:D:D:D

I do love the posts that tell others to "get over it"....One example. on the old SS Norway. "gentleman" at the next table, wearing a t-shirt with the world famous F word on it, loud, drunk and mean. His shorts look like he had just gotten done slopping the hogs....Please, next time, tell your table mates and the kids at the surrounding tables to get over it!

Wear what is requested, get over it!!!!

No dirty, disgusting, smelly, or offensive language is not the same thing as someone with a clean pair of shorts on. Big difference, and to that if you are upset I say "get over it".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No dirty, disgusting, smelly, or offensive language is not the same thing as someone with a clean pair of shorts on. Big difference, and to that if you are upset I say "get over it".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Exactly.

The problem with the above scenario was not the shorts. If they were wearing an offensive shirt with ripped, smelly pants would that be all right?

It wouldn't of course.

But dining is about more than taste, it's an experience, a feast for all 5 senses. Hence the great attention land- and sea-based dining venues pay to decor, ambiance, soundproofing, etc.

I like sitting by the window and watching the ocean at a meal sometimes, it doesn't affect how the food tastes either, but it's pleasant.

And of course how others dress is part of that. There is a reason for the fashion, makeup and hairstylist industry. People like to look good and like others to look good.

There is an entire field of "embodied cognition" that deals with the way our appearance changes other's perceptions. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/clothes-and-self-perception.html to start.

One thing these types of experiments show is that when we're more dressed up we tend to be more polite and better able to engage in abstract thinking. people are also more likely to be polite to someone dressed well than otherwise

Similarly, Professor Karen J. Pine, of the University of Hertfordshire (U.K.) writes in her very short book Mind What You Wear: The Psychology of Fashion “When we put on a piece of clothing we cannot help but adopt some of the characteristics associated with it, even if we are unaware of it.”

so if you don't care to dress up fine, but let's PLEASE stop this BS that "no one cares" or "why does anyone care" because they do. It's just an excuse to be lazy, disrespectful, and rude.

Personally, I do care how people look at dinner and when they are under dressed it bothers me. But I don't freak out because I'm hardly perfect and I'm sure I do things that annoy people on cruises also. But at least I'm not disingenuous about it.

So I really wish people would stop pretending that it's crazy to care how other people look. It's clearly established through science, history, and culture that appearance is important to most of us. It's not just a made up thing. It's not easily explainable like some many other thing about the human brain but it's still true.

This is so well said. How it is now offensive for people to be courteous? That is how I define dressing appropriately for dinner. It shows a courtesy to other people to take some care in how you present yourself. Washing the stink off. Combing your hair. Putting on something nice. (It doesn't have to be a TUX or long formal gown unless that is what you define as something nice.) The people that want to live in bathing suits and "wife beaters" while cruising can order room service, stop by the Wipe Out Cafe or the Hotdog Stand, no problem. But when dining with other families it is polite to make an attempt to dress up. Use a knife and fork. Put a napkin in your lap. You are part of the dining room ambiance after all.