High Tea or Tea Time

I’ll have to ask her exactly what cruise line but I believe she has sailed with Princess in the past.

We were on Princess in January and they did a nice afternoon tea. Even had music playing.

• 5 months later...

My DW just loves those High Teas on sea days, but unfortunately RCCL, as well as many other cruise lines, did away with them.

I know Carnival still has them, on all sea days, but you have to bring your own tea bags unless you want just plain Lipton tea. They charge $1.95 for any sort of different tea bags. Talk about giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

Cheers

Len

Oceania ships have high tea each day. A string quartet plays classical music; they serve finger sandwiches, scones, assorted pastries and, of course, tea.

That is similar to how Princess did it last January except I am not sure how many musicians.

Oceania ships have high tea each day. A string quartet plays classical music; they serve finger sandwiches, scones, assorted pastries and, of course, tea.

What you describe is not "high tea", but "afternoon tea" High tea is like supper . Term originated with working class people who ate around 5pm or so...things like shepherd's pie, stews, casseroles, etc.. :)

What you describe is not "high tea", but "afternoon tea" High tea is like supper . Term originated with working class people who ate around 5pm or so...things like shepherd's pie, stews, casseroles, etc.. :)

Yes. "High" refers to the height of the table. Working class people had "high tea" at suppertime because they ate it as a meal at a high table. The aristocracy had "low tea", eaten off a low table mid-afternoon, more as a snack to hold you over until dinner, which was later in the evening. Here in the north of England, the evening meal is still called "tea".