No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

I've seen it all in my 9 year's of cruising,,,,, tank top in MDR never did it never would short's been there done that,,,,as some of my short's cost just as much as my dress pant's.

All I have to say is WHEN YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THE CRUISE YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT TO WARE :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!.

And when you sit down who can see your legs anyway??????????.

Living in the Jersey shore I can relate to people like you with the Jersey attitudes. Bet you drive a Ram 500 with mufflers that sounds like a locomotive.

What cracks me up is the extremes described in the thread. Basically, you are either dressed to the nines and “appropriate” or, you are wearing clothing appropriate for yard work and construction 🤦🏻*♀️🤷🏻*♀️. Also, apparently, if you and your entire family don’t wear full formal gear, you are uncouth and unable to control yourself or your kids....- here’s a thought, simply because I am a rule follower. If the rules say “formal wear only”, our family either wears that or eats elsewhere that night. If It says “suggested” then perhaps hubby can leave his tux at home and I can leave my sequined prom dress at home and we can dress a little more casually, just because we prefer to- hubby usually wears dress slacks and a shirt and Maybe a tie, I have a LBD that I throw on and the kids were similarly as appropriate. And frankly, I don’t care with others wear as long as they don’t stink and don’t have dirty holey clothing. I guess my point is until Any cruise line makes It required, it’s open to individual interruptions. It’s better to have a “Not allowed” list then a “suggested attire” list as It removes the individual interruptions. I prefer smart casual, island wear as I’m on vacation etc etc. however, as I said earlier, variations of casual doesn’t alway mean sloppy.

Not to mention, I must be spoiled here at home because I consider the MDR food served to be barely better than an upper mid level restaurant in my area - I’ve eaten at plenty of fabulous places that I wouldn’t dare walk in the door “less than dressed”, but (1) the rules REQUIRE (not suggest) It and (2) the food, level of service and general atmosphere support It.

We go on a cruise as a family to enjoy It. I had no ideal that so many people sit back judging everyone. It makes me sad for them, because, frankly, I’ll still enjoy my vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems like the cruise line could solve this problem by segregating the dining rooms depending upon how people want to dress. Have one for people who want to look nice and expect others to look nice as well, and enforce the dress code. Have another dining room for people who are comfortable rolling out of a hammock and strolling in for dinner, and don't care what anybody looks like.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, wouldn’t work. For every person who respects the traditions there are ten more who don’t give a flying

Sorry, wouldn’t work. For every person who respects the traditions there are ten more who don’t give a flying

So... maybe they can be advised to join MDR with more relaxed dress code? They will have a choice.

The CRUISE LINE doesn't have any respect for "Tradition". They want to serve a 3 course meal and have you out in 75 minutes.

Let me know when the cruise line brings back the fabulous food, service, and presentations of years past, then we can talk.

Resent all this "wife beater" and wet bathing suit garbage. It's the same extreme argument from the same sheep EVERY TIME. Bleet, bleet, bleet the same tired line. Guess what? Many of us dress nice, resort casual. Don't wear tank tops or wet clothes to the dining room, but slacks and ties are not appealing on vacation. Never had any issue in any venue last week and week prior on an RCI ship. Wasn't dressed sloppy or dirty. LOOKED GREAT. FELT GREAT. Spent money onboard. CRUISE LINE HAPPY. The cruise line only wants money, and they get the most money when people are happy. So dress however you'd like and be happy.

Not to mention, I must be spoiled here at home because I consider the MDR food served to be barely better than an upper mid level restaurant in my area - I’ve eaten at plenty of fabulous places that I wouldn’t dare walk in the door “less than dressed”

So true. I love how I can go to a place like Capital Grille a few times each year for a $200+ meal and they don’t mind if I’m in nice shorts and a nice polo, but I should dress up for the mediocrity of the main dining room. No thanks.

So true. I love how I can go to a place like Capital Grille a few times each year for a $200+ meal and they don’t mind if I’m in nice shorts and a nice polo, but I should dress up for the mediocrity of the main dining room. No thanks.
Oh right on the money. Great post. I said something similar earlier but not as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The CRUISE LINE doesn't have any respect for "Tradition". They want to serve a 3 course meal and have you out in 75 minutes.

Let me know when the cruise line brings back the fabulous food, service, and presentations of years past, then we can talk.

Resent all this "wife beater" and wet bathing suit garbage. It's the same extreme argument from the same sheep EVERY TIME. Bleet, bleet, bleet the same tired line. Guess what? Many of us dress nice, resort casual. Don't wear tank tops or wet clothes to the dining room, but slacks and ties are not appealing on vacation. Never had any issue in any venue last week and week prior on an RCI ship. Wasn't dressed sloppy or dirty. LOOKED GREAT. FELT GREAT. Spent money onboard. CRUISE LINE HAPPY. The cruise line only wants money, and they get the most money when people are happy. So dress however you'd like and be happy.

Thank you,,,, with this being said you hit it right on the head it's a vacation people not dining at a 5 star restraint anymore.

If people are that bothered by what attire their table mates are wearing they should be asked to be seated elsewhere. Plain & simple.

I have never seen such judgmental people than on this board. There are so many more important things to be bothered over than what other people are wearing.

Nailed it. If people are so self-absorbed that what others wear affects them then it's time for those people to learn not to look. Busy bodies need to mind their own business and get over themselves.

Seems like the cruise line could solve this problem by segregating the dining rooms depending upon how people want to dress. Have one for people who want to look nice and expect others to look nice as well, and enforce the dress code. Have another dining room for people who are comfortable rolling out of a hammock and strolling in for dinner, and don't care what anybody looks like.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One side for busy bodies who think they're better than everybody else. The other side for normal people who don't think they're so important that other people's clothes affect them. I like it.

Nothing will be enforced. This is a joke. Dress code, Kids in diapers or worse in hot tubs, and chair hogs are NEVER enforced. I for one am tired of it. RCI needs to not be afraid to have the crew enforce the rules. The main reason the staff does not is, they are afraid of the complaints that RCI takes so seriously on their surveys. In order for rules to work RCI must be willing to back up the crew rather than the rude, low class, inconsiderate passengers. IMHO

Apparently you haven't been watching the news lately as that worked out SO WELL for Starbucks recently. Not buying anything and asking for the key to the bathroom. In the old days and based on typical business models that is a NO-NO. Even most people that stop at a gas station on the road will typically buy a candybar or something to help them internalize the exchange of services for a profit so asking people to leave when they loiter (correct legal term) turned into a racial issue instead of enforcing a policy.

I used to care more about how people dressed in the MDR, but when the food quality and in many cases the quality of service began to go downhill I truly didn't care anymore how people around me dressed. It's kind of like asking people to get dressed up to go to Chili's or TGI Fridays. Also it is harder to pack bulky formal wear when there are so many airline baggage restrictions. I'm guessing the rules are in place to enforce when someone is truly not dressed appropriately for any restaurant that isn't on a beach. My vacations are way too important to me to let them be ruined by the way someone else dresses.

I used to care more about how people dressed in the MDR, but when the food quality and in many cases the quality of service began to go downhill I truly didn't care anymore how people around me dressed. It's kind of like asking people to get dressed up to go to Chili's or TGI Fridays. Also it is harder to pack bulky formal wear when there are so many airline baggage restrictions. I'm guessing the rules are in place to enforce when someone is truly not dressed appropriately for any restaurant that isn't on a beach. My vacations are way too important to me to let them be ruined by the way someone else dresses.
Awesome post, exactly right.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Apparently you haven't been watching the news lately as that worked out SO WELL for Starbucks recently. Not buying anything and asking for the key to the bathroom. In the old days and based on typical business models that is a NO-NO. Even most people that stop at a gas station on the road will typically buy a candybar or something to help them internalize the exchange of services for a profit so asking people to leave when they loiter (correct legal term) turned into a racial issue instead of enforcing a policy.

Excuse me this was not turned into a racial issue. This IS a racial issue. If white ppl did the same thing do you think someone would have called the cops on them?

Nothing will be enforced. This is a joke. Dress code, Kids in diapers or worse in hot tubs, and chair hogs are NEVER enforced. I for one am tired of it. RCI needs to not be afraid to have the crew enforce the rules. The main reason the staff does not is, they are afraid of the complaints that RCI takes so seriously on their surveys. In order for rules to work RCI must be willing to back up the crew rather than the rude, low class, inconsiderate passengers. IMHO

Some rules should be enforced-no kids in hot tubs (safety issues) chair hogs ruin it for everybody else by taking chairs that are supposed to be for all. How does my dress affect your cruising experience externally? Other than being angry and upset? Is there something tangible as to how my dress affects you or others?

So do I spoil mine, and my family's cruise, restricting our dining arrangements, or do I put up with those condescending stares, and scornful comments, from those that don't ask, and just judge !

Obviously you will totally ruin the vacations of many of the people on your cruise. Your dress will change the flavor of the food in the dining room resulting in a bitter vinegar flavor in all foods.

You really only have two options.

1. Stop cruising and lock your self in your bathroom for rest of your life.

2. Perform a ritualistic sacrifice and pray to the three piece suit God for forgiveness.

If the new MDR dress code is enforced or not will never change the fact that only a tennie tiny percentage of passengers that cruise are from Cruise Critic. Thank goodness. During my last cruise I overheard a couple next to us in the MDR looking/people watching, I heard one of them say, "They must be from Cruise Critic". The full blown obsession of what others wear really only exists here. Along with gratituity obsessions as well. It's a shame because it gives Cruise Critic a black eye & turns many people off. This website can be so helpful, unfortunately one has to sift through so much nonsense to locate it. When on a cruise I'm too embarrassed to ever mention this website. It shouldn't be that way.

:confused:

Here’s an idea- draw a line down the center of the dining room. On one side- casual dress, the other formal attire(with set rules) everyone is happy. Everyone gets what they want...and for the love of Mike we can stop beating the dead horse! And fighting!

Here’s an idea- draw a line down the center of the dining room. On one side- casual dress, the other formal attire(with set rules) everyone is happy. Everyone gets what they want...and for the love of Mike we can stop beating the dead horse! And fighting!

Won't work, there will be parties that want to sit at the same table, some in the same party will follow the dress suggestions, others in the same party will be in shorts.

Excuse me this was not turned into a racial issue. This IS a racial issue. If white ppl did the same thing do you think someone would have called the cops on them?

Actually Yes, as a Retired Cop and Son of a Retired Cop, we both have asked people who were Loitering in a Establishment to leave and have at times arrested them.The Guys even admitted on TV that they were not going to buy anything, so quit stiring the pot and get a life.

Mike