Would you travel on a cruise ship that didn't serve alcohol?

ilikeanswers

Lenny, have you been drinking?

2219 maybe.:D

Many years ago I played Semi-Pro Basketball .One night we beat a team by 40 points . The owner of the Hawks was at the game and he was so impressed by my team that he asked if we would be interested in playing against a team of NBA players in a summer league . It was an outdoor game ,the temperature was 95 degrees .Everyone on my team played the game of their life and we won .

If that can happen then the browns can win the Super Bowl in 2019.

I drink everything except gin and cheap lager/pilsner.

I would be happy to go on a ship with no alcohol as it's not the reason I holiday/cruise and I don't really drink a whole lot in a week anyway. If you need a drink to have a good time I think you are not being creative enough. :)There's also the fact you drink in port where the drinks are better and cheaper.

Non-drinkers are getting more and more common these days due to health concerns, new pursuits and different religions having an influence. On a night out I commonly find a non-drinker who isn't even driving. No need to be negative to a non-drinker. They are not harming anyone so it's their choice.

I notice there are lots of posts about alcoholic drinks on cruises whether it is about consumption of drinks or what is the best deals and drink packages and it got me wondering:confused: is alcohol an integral part of the cruising experience? Do you have to have that glass of wine:wine-glass: with dinner and the cocktails:cocktail: by the pool to really enjoy a cruise? Or would a cruise be just as enjoyable if alcohol was not even an option:o?

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DW and I enjoy our adult beverages, much the same as we enjoy decent entertainment, good cuisine, etc. Can we live without a cocktail or a glass of wine? Absolutely! But why should we? So no, we would not book a "dry" cruise. And we also agree with some of the other comments that a dry cruise would likely attract too many who like to preach. I also would not want to be on a ship with no coffee.

Hank

This.

While I don't usually like to veer off topic I am a little perturbed by all the negative characterisations of non-drinkers:o

"Non-drinker" isn't the same as "anti-drinker".

Other than cruisemom's example of local laws, a dry cruise would attract that self-righteous bunch of zealots.

My negativity, and I believe the negativity of others on this thread, is directed at anti-drinkers, not non-drinkers.

My view would be exactly the same about a vegan cruise, a Christian cruise, a Republican (or Democrat) cruise, a no-gambling cruise, etc etc.

JB :)

Many years ago I played Semi-Pro Basketball .One night we beat a team by 40 points . The owner of the Hawks was at the game and he was so impressed by my team that he asked if we would be interested in playing against a team of NBA players in a summer league . It was an outdoor game ,the temperature was 95 degrees .Everyone on my team played the game of their life and we won .

If that can happen then the browns can win the Super Bowl in 2019.

Lenny, Congrats on the win. The big difference is that you guys were at least Semi-pro. ;p

"Non-drinker" isn't the same as "anti-drinker".

Other than cruisemom's example of local laws, a dry cruise would attract that self-righteous bunch of zealots.

My negativity, and I believe the negativity of others on this thread, is directed at anti-drinkers, not non-drinkers.

My view would be exactly the same about a vegan cruise, a Christian cruise, a Republican (or Democrat) cruise, a no-gambling cruise, etc etc.

JB :)

It's the difference between abstainers who don't drink and prohibitionists who demand that no one drink. Examples in the later category would be certain evangelical Christians and devout Muslims. As they are keen to impose their views regarding alcohol they can quite reasonably be expected to do the same on other issues. Sailing with the disciples of Carrie Nation or aspiring members of the Taliban doesn't hold much appeal.

Never had an alcoholic drink or a cigarette on maybe 45 cruises and probably even more vacations over the last 35 years or so. I now spend what used to be my beer and smoke $$$ on cruises and vacations, nice trade off for me.

A few of my so called'dry' in laws certainly would not.

They like being well out of sight of friends and neighbours so that they don't have to worry about anyone seeing them having a nip or two or three of the demon rum.

I enjoy my wine and like to have it on ships as I don't have to drive . I enjoy my glass of wine but I do not need it.

If I meet friends for dinner at home, I usually do not have any wine. I might have to drive and no wine is worth that to me. .

I suspect there would be different views on this if those who are posting on CC weren't predominately from North America. Most southern Europeans e.g. France, Spain, Italy would normally have wine with meals, which to them isn't alcohol. Alcohol means spirits like whisky, rum etc.

Wine - like water and bread - is considered an integral part of life, and people rarely get drunk.

It's a cultural thing. Example - a friend of ours was being discharged from hospital in France after surgery and was told he must not drink any more alcohol. Then the person serving meals came and asked if he preferred red or white wine with his lunch. Yes - they serve wine in French hospitals!!

I suspect there would be different views on this if those who are posting on CC weren't predominately from North America. Most southern Europeans e.g. France, Spain, Italy would normally have wine with meals, which to them isn't alcohol. Alcohol means spirits like whisky, rum etc.

Wine - like water and bread - is considered an integral part of life, and people rarely get drunk.

It's a cultural thing. Example - a friend of ours was being discharged from hospital in France after surgery and was told he must not drink any more alcohol. Then the person serving meals came and asked if he preferred red or white wine with his lunch. Yes - they serve wine in French hospitals!!

Good to know.

When my children were born in Rome in the 1980s they did the same thing (and I bet they still do). They also insisted new mothers and babies stay in the hospital for 5 days of pampering and that wine was accompanied by good pastas!

We easily can live without hard liquor on a cruise but wouldn't go on one that didn't serve wine since we are accustomed to drinking it with dinner at least a few nights a week at home and usually getting the wine package (if we don't have the sip and sail promotion) on Princess.

As children we would have wine with dinner if our parents were enjoying it. Usually on holidays or special events. Watered down little I suspect.

But we could never have what they referred to as 'hard' liquer.

Yes, I would travel on a cruise ship that didn't serve alcohol. We are in the take it or leave it category when it comes to alcohol - most times simply leaving it. It's not that we don't drink, we just simply couldn't be bothered to most times.

However, many activities on cruise ships are centered around serving and consuming alcohol. Imagine if all the space now devoted to bars were converted to some sort of other onboard entertainment or activity? What would cruise ships do if they had to find alternative use of these spaces and alternative sources of entertainment? Could be a completely different onboard experience than what we have experienced so far.

No I wouldn't go on a cruise that didn't serve alcohol.

The thought of not being able to enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner would ensure my non participation on such a cruise.

Is this a religion based question?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk