Lifeguards

It’s great to have lifeguards and as a former lifeguard myself, it infuriates me when a parent is not watching their swimming child(ren).

Until your child is a competent swimmer (can swim 100 yards without stopping and tread water for 10 mins) a parent should not be more than one foot away from their child at all times in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The lifeguards also enforce the safety rules. I have seen people (usually kids) kicked out for bad behavior or for overcrowding the pool.

I have also seen lifeguards (not the ones monitoring the pools, but others off to the side) taking video with an iPad. I don't know if that is for training or supervision or what.

Hopefully none of us will ever need a lifeguard, but if we do then we should be thankful that they were there to save us. It may feel strange to have them watching, but they are of no use when they are not paying attention or not on duty. There is no downside to having them there.
I like to chat with them when I'm walking laps in the pool

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It started about 3 years ago when a boy drown on the oasis in the little pool with a current. Do I think we should have life guards? No I think parents should have to watch their kids and be responsible instead of drinking all day. Everyone wants to sue and blame others when things go wrong. Own up.

Lifeguards on Royal ships were added in 2017.

My kids were not in the pool unless I was. Yes everyone should watch their own but I have no issue with Lifeguards on duty and glad they do...

A child also drown on Liberty about the same time. They redid the pool area on Liberty after that....the kids area had a 5 ft pool. It was replaced with a 3 ft one. Much wiser. Even though small children can drown in 3 ft I think many jumped into the deeper pool unaware of just how deep it was. Very happy about the change and the addition of life jackets available, Although I don’t see many parents using them. No excuse not to really even if you are right there with them.

It started about 3 years ago when a boy drown on the oasis in the little pool with a current. Do I think we should have life guards? No I think parents should have to watch their kids and be responsible instead of drinking all day. Everyone wants to sue and blame others when things go wrong. Own up.

Is there some study that backs up your claim that drinking parents are the cause of child drownings on cruise ships or are you just being judgmental?

Pools on land have lifeguards for ages, mind you these are public, resort, private club, etc pools. In addition, public beaches here in Florida have lifeguards on duty, but not necessary year around.

People have different capabilities in their swimming capabilities, and sometimes get in over the head. Even strong swimmers sometimes have issues and even panic and need rescueing. Having an extra set of eyes who know the signs on how to detect someone having difficulties is always a good thing.

I disagree about not needing lifeguards. I agree with parents watching their kids. However, This grandma watches her grandkids and never leaves them unattended. But lifeguards are needed.

The lifeguard is a tremendous help with watching what is going on...like kids jumping, standing on the rails around the hot tub, bigger kids really horsing around, and putting my kids at risk. We were on the oasis last summer a total free for all with kids and are two weeks from another oasis cruise with grand kids.....so thanks RCL for lifeguards blowing your whistle.

I would like to meet a parent who can claim they have NEVER lost track of their child for one second until their child turned 18. And as someone previously stated it only takes seconds to happen. Cruises present a different environment, possibly a language barrier, big crowds, and pools. Not the safest combination. I’m happy or see lifeguards.

As a former lifeguard (Long long time ago!) I feel the need to add its a pretty boring job overall, and it’s tough to stay vigilant. The staring/scanning at a swimmer or swimmers is part of the training. Lose that to be “polite” and you will lose your job

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would like to meet a parent who can claim they have NEVER lost track of their child for one second until their child turned 18. And as someone previously stated it only takes seconds to happen. Cruises present a different environment, possibly a language barrier, big crowds, and pools. Not the safest combination. I’m happy or see lifeguards.

As a former lifeguard (Long long time ago!) I feel the need to add its a pretty boring job overall, and it’s tough to stay vigilant. The staring/scanning at a swimmer or swimmers is part of the training. Lose that to be “polite” and you will lose your job

Its very easy to lose track of children. And if your child is in the pool, you should be in there next to them at all times until they are a strong swimmer. Not enough to just watch from the pool’s edge.

I agree we should be watching our kids or in the pool if they are swimming. Sorry if it seemed I was debating that.

One of the drownings that occurred a few years back was the first day of a cruise. The family’s first language was not English, their kids were not swimming. I don’t know all the details, not sure the general public does. The family was exploring the ship, not swimming. They lost track of their son and were trying to find him and the language barrier didn’t help. Their son decided to try out the lazy river. No lifeguard. Everyone assumes someone else is watching. And then it was too late.

As much as we all want to be perfect parents and be ever vigilant,

It doesn’t hurt to have backup help.

Edited by cindivan

I was onboard that Anthem sailing, so from my perspective, I am very glad that lifeguards are now there. I actually would have been shocked if they didn't have them, especially on Oasis Class which are larger ships, therefore meaning more kids.

As a mother to a former All American High School Swimmer and the Grandmother to 2 competent swimmers, there is no way any of those 3 are allowed in our backyard pool alone. We also realize that the 3 year old, that is now going through water confidence/drown proofing/swim lessons, is at this point at the most of risk for drowning.

If I never get that drink, so be it, it is not worth a child's life.

Edited by mechcc
grammer

A fair question??? What??!! Oh my..... So in your mind, people 16+ do not require a lifeguard? People over the age of 16 cannot drown? A lifeguard is a waste on people 16 & older?????

:eek::confused::mad:

Sorry but your comments are just insulting but I believe you judge everything with an obstructed view which is fine!

In most parts of the world you do not find lifeguards at most beaches and hotel pools. I have swum in open oceans and many places around the world. If there is a sign that says swim at own risk, no lifeguard on duty, parents watch your children the situation is clear and parents are responsible. Accidents happen and this is very sad. I am still irritated by all this lifeguards standing around all day but it‘s ok.

Sorry but your comments are just insulting but I believe you judge everything with an obstructed view which is fine!

In most parts of the world you do not find lifeguards at most beaches and hotel pools. I have swum in open oceans and many places around the world. If there is a sign that says swim at own risk, no lifeguard on duty, parents watch your children the situation is clear and parents are responsible. Accidents happen and this is very sad. I am still irritated by all this lifeguards standing around all day but it‘s ok.

I think it is you that is judging this with an obstructed view. Look at it from a parent's perspective. They briefly lost track of their son and he was dead. Most parents have briefly lost track of their child a few times before (Happened to my parents once when I was about 8 years old). Luckily it wasn't a pool. In crowded pools, there are several risks. There is a reason why waterparks have lifeguards and it is the exact same as why they have them on ships. Having been on the sailing where a child drowned, I would have been horrified had they not been there on future cruises, as it could easily have happened again.

I think it is you that is judging this with an obstructed view. Look at it from a parent's perspective. They briefly lost track of their son and he was dead. Most parents have briefly lost track of their child a few times before (Happened to my parents once when I was about 8 years old). Luckily it wasn't a pool. In crowded pools, there are several risks. There is a reason why waterparks have lifeguards and it is the exact same as why they have them on ships. Having been on the sailing where a child drowned, I would have been horrified had they not been there on future cruises, as it could easily have happened again.

For me a cruise ship is still not a crowded waterpark or beach where you can easily loose track of a child. I am also not talking about big Oasis Class ships and crowded hudge pool areas in the Caribbean, I noticed this on smaller ships with 15 degrees outside in the North Sea with nearly no children around. However, let‘s close this topic!

For me a cruise ship is still not a crowded waterpark or beach where you can easily loose track of a child. I am also not talking about big Oasis Class ships and crowded hudge pool areas in the Caribbean, I noticed this on smaller ships with 15 degrees outside in the North Sea with nearly no children around. However, let‘s close this topic!

If you had stopped returning to try to justify you comments it most likely would have already died by now.

Well getting there in 2 seconds means someone else has to alert the lifeguard. That is the lifeguards job. When parents stopped watching their kids someone else had to step in. I would rather less waiters. Better safe than sorry.

We have noticed that since having lifeguards the parents seems to watch their children less. They go to the bar etc. because there is a lifeguard

Lifeguards ??? Really ?? I am on vacation if i was to drown on vacation , that would be better then drowning in my hottub at home ! Where are the parents for lil kids ! I have gone in many a times for my own kid and others if i seen disstress !

We have noticed that since having lifeguards the parents seems to watch their children less. They go to the bar etc. because there is a lifeguard

And this is terrible. Parents need to be with their children at all times in the pool. Also, lifeguards are great but they aren’t a guarantee a child won’t drown.

I wonder what happens with the lifeguards when there is a crew drill in a port. Do they have to close the pool to participate in the drill and do all take part or do they alternate drills to keep at least 1 pool open

The pools remain open.

I agree. I’ve rescued a child from a pool, and had one of mine rescued. Both happened in an instant, taking eyes off of one to attend to another. Both times the child wasn’t in the pool at the time. All of my kids had year round swim lessons starting at 3 until they could master their strokes and swim many laps.