Northern Lights Cruise Viking 2/18/2019

Dikrepe22

Hello from Plymouth, MA! My husband and I are cruising for the first time on Viking Ocean on February 18th to the Northern Lights. We are so excited. We are looking to talk with couples that are on the same ship. It will be nice to get to know people before we go. If anyone as been on Viking Ocean cruises we would love to hear what they think. Thanks! Diane

• 2 weeks later...

We did the northern lights in February 2016 with P&O. We would not travel with them again now we have experienced Viking.

A few tips though. Be well prepared for the cold, it was -20 when we were there. We invested in proper arctic coats, trousers, hats and Sorel boots that were thermal to -40. We totally enjoyed every excursion because we were warm, many people were complaining that the tours were not suitable, the tours were lovely they were just wearing ridiculous clothing.

When we went into the wilderness to try and see the lights we were out for over four hours in those temperatures. After two hours the lights came out big time but many had gone back to the ship because of the cold and missed everything.

If you get the chance to go dog sledging go, even if the only times available are after dark. Our slot was after dark but the sledges had lanterns on them and it was quite magical.

I’m sure you will love the ship and I hope you are lucky enough to see the lights.

We did the northern lights in February 2016 with P&O. We would not travel with them again now we have experienced Viking.

A few tips though. Be well prepared for the cold, it was -20 when we were there. We invested in proper arctic coats, trousers, hats and Sorel boots that were thermal to -40. We totally enjoyed every excursion because we were warm, many people were complaining that the tours were not suitable, the tours were lovely they were just wearing ridiculous clothing.

When we went into the wilderness to try and see the lights we were out for over four hours in those temperatures. After two hours the lights came out big time but many had gone back to the ship because of the cold and missed everything.

If you get the chance to go dog sledging go, even if the only times available are after dark. Our slot was after dark but the sledges had lanterns on them and it was quite magical.

I’m sure you will love the ship and I hope you are lucky enough to see the lights.

-20? I'm seeing an average temp in Alta of 18 in March. Where exactly were you that it was -20?

-20? I'm seeing an average temp in Alta of 18 in March. Where exactly were you that it was -20?

Since the poster mentioned P&O, I suspect they are from UK. Therefore, the temperature quoted is mostly likely in Centigrade, which in the US is about -4 F.

We were in Tromso and Alta for temperatures of -20 and yes we are from the UK. We couldn’t believe how silly people were with their clothing. We picked up a couple on the shuttle bus in Tromso and she was literally in tears because of the cold but wearing just a coat etc for a chilly day in England, totally unsuitable.

If this is a bucket trip and you are not likely to come here again, be prepared and make the most of it and be prepared.

Totally agree with what you say... be prepared for the cold! We went on a Northern Lights cruise on Fred Olsen's Boudicca in February 2012. It was an amazing, fantastic experience, which I cannot recommend highly enough and would love to repeat (but on Viking) sometime. We had an onboard lecturer who talked about Arctic clothing early on in the cruise. She said "If you ask yourself when you look in the mirror 'Does my bum look big in this?' and the answer is 'No'... then you're not wearing enough layers". Great advice. I got through a stack of 'Little Hotties' handwarmers too, they were brilliant for keeping hands AND feet warm when stuffed inside mitts and moonboots.

Like you, G.Girl, we have done years of cruising with P&O and Fred Olsen, from the UK, but having now done two Viking ocean cruises we won't be going back. I love the space and informality of Viking. No more pretentious formal nights! Hurrah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Could you please post when the excursions become available? We aren't taking this cruise until March and are really anxious to see the options for excursions. Thank you.

They're on MyVikingJourney now. Just saw them today.